WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Riad Palais des Princesses

Riad Palais des Princesses
Ranked #161 of 511 Hotels in Marrakech
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful Riad. Highly recommend.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

My first trip to Morocco and Marrakech so I did not know what to expect. I booked online after reading reviews on this site and booking.com. The place is a wonderful place to stay in Marrakech. It is a few minutes walk from the main square however very quiet. The manager is very kind and accommodating to any questions or tourist assistance. My flight was late so my taxi was not there when I arrived however after a call to the riad my taxi was sent so I did not have to wait too long. A clean tourist van as opposed to the dirty old taxis that wait at the airport. I am not sure of the price difference between the two options however I was very happy with this transport. The breakfast was lovely and the kitchen staff made me a Moroccan mint tea on my request. The single room is small but adequate. Bathroom very cute and immaculately clean. Free wifi with good service. There is also a lovely terrace area to sit and relax in and I think you can take your breakfast up there. I only discovered it after I had finished breakfast. Excellent all round. Can`t fault this Riad.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is down a few alleys, and at first the area looks a little sketchy. Inside, it is beautiful. White walls, fountains, roof terrace, plush bathrobes in the rooms. I had a single, which was very tight, but comfortable. If anything, the riad is a little over the top, with crystal chandeliers and rococo style flower artwork. Breakfast buffet was nice.
Since I was there in late June, it stayed light quite late, so I never walked to the riad after dark, and don't know how comfortable I would have been with that.

Room Tip: Single room could have used even 6 inches more in width.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

It looked fantastic and had great reviews. We booked online via booking.com on 30th May and received immediate confirmation that the booking had done through - nothing to pay until we checked out on 5th January. All exciting - two families going; price confirmed and agreed with both parties.

I went to Madrid on 31st May, returning on 4th June (no Roam facility whilst there...) to discover on my return an email saying that the booking had been cancelled because there was insufficient credit available on the credit card I had given. But we were not going until December. And there was nothing to pay until January. Booking.com assured me they had tried to contact me prior to this email - no evidence of that on email account or mobile phone messages. I emailed immediately and asked if they would reinstate the booking - I could provide another card. I was told no, I had to revisit the website and book again. Which I did. To discover than in less than one week the prices for the four rooms we wanted had risen by 210 euros each.
Seemingly, whilst I was on a call to them to try and resolve the issue, Booking.com phoned the hotel, requesting that our booking might be reinstated at the original price. It was declined. So we won't be going there after all.

Genuine mistake? Or does this happen quite frequently - with somebody somewhere making a lot more money out of the same customers... something smells not quite right.

Be warned - when you complete the booking form, it does not alert you to the fact that your card has to be good for the entire balance of the booking at the point of booking - even if you won't be paying anything for six months. It emphasises that you can cancel right up to one week prior to going with no penalty to be paid. But the hotel may well check the card (permitted funds available) and reserve the right to decline the booking. Apparently this is stated somewhere on the site - but not evident where you actually book. Maybe this is obvious to some people - it wasn't to me and had I known, I would have proferred another card. Instead I ended up feeling like a criminal - or a fool who has been duped. Bad taste in mouth. Need to book somewhere else now - any ideas?!

Room Tip: It does look absolutely beautiful, but look at all the room options when booking - the prices vary c...
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan H
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We found this Riad on the Internet so were a little worried that it would not live up to our expectations. We need not have worried, it was perfect in every way. We asked to be collected from the airport....our taxi was ready waiting for us. Our room in the Riad was comfortable and spotlessly clean, with constant hot water for showers. Considering we were so near to the square and in the souks, we wondered if we would find the Riad noisy. Not at all.....it's so very calm and peaceful in there and we found the sun beds on the terraces a great added attraction. From there, we watched the storks flying overhead! The hosts and staff were so very helpful and attentive, we could not have asked for more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuzanneJ5848
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I found this Riad by research on this site, so most things have already been said. However, I loved my stay here. my friend and I had separate rooms on the first floor and it was so quiet. The rooms were very clean and the rose petals somehow made one fell special. The breakfast was wonderful, the buffet catering for all desires. Eggs and potatoes, apricots and pancakes and much more...
The staff were friendly but not intrusive, always helpful and smiling.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daisysmum1981
buenos aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

The riad is amazing, big rooms, nice details, and clean as it can be.

Location is also great, 5 minutes walk from Djem al Fna, but in a quiet place, no harassment and crazy salesmen nearby...

Food is also excellent so if you have time dinner there is a must!

Really happy to have met thia amazing place and its terrace!

• Stayed May 2013
Tamworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am really just going to confirm everything everyone said. Its a beautiful Riad, lovely location. The hosts were very friendly and breakfast was the best I had in Morocco. The rooms are on the small side, but so well done out it doesnt make a difference really.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple