“Quiet oasis near Jemaa el Fna square” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Palais des Princesses
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   41 Derb Jamaa, Marrakech 40 000, Morocco   |
Ranked #148 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Quiet oasis near Jemaa el Fna square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel is down a few alleys, and at first the area looks a little sketchy. Inside, it is beautiful. White walls, fountains, roof terrace, plush bathrobes in the rooms. I had a single, which was very tight, but comfortable. If anything, the riad is a little over the top, with crystal chandeliers and rococo style flower artwork. Breakfast buffet was nice.
Since I was there in late June, it stayed light quite late, so I never walked to the riad after dark, and don't know how comfortable I would have been with that.

Room Tip: Single room could have used even 6 inches more in width.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

It looked fantastic and had great reviews. We booked online via booking.com on 30th May and received immediate confirmation that the booking had done through - nothing to pay until we checked out on 5th January. All exciting - two families going; price confirmed and agreed with both parties.

I went to Madrid on 31st May, returning on 4th June (no Roam facility whilst there...) to discover on my return an email saying that the booking had been cancelled because there was insufficient credit available on the credit card I had given. But we were not going until December. And there was nothing to pay until January. Booking.com assured me they had tried to contact me prior to this email - no evidence of that on email account or mobile phone messages. I emailed immediately and asked if they would reinstate the booking - I could provide another card. I was told no, I had to revisit the website and book again. Which I did. To discover than in less than one week the prices for the four rooms we wanted had risen by 210 euros each.
Seemingly, whilst I was on a call to them to try and resolve the issue, Booking.com phoned the hotel, requesting that our booking might be reinstated at the original price. It was declined. So we won't be going there after all.

Genuine mistake? Or does this happen quite frequently - with somebody somewhere making a lot more money out of the same customers... something smells not quite right.

Be warned - when you complete the booking form, it does not alert you to the fact that your card has to be good for the entire balance of the booking at the point of booking - even if you won't be paying anything for six months. It emphasises that you can cancel right up to one week prior to going with no penalty to be paid. But the hotel may well check the card (permitted funds available) and reserve the right to decline the booking. Apparently this is stated somewhere on the site - but not evident where you actually book. Maybe this is obvious to some people - it wasn't to me and had I known, I would have proferred another card. Instead I ended up feeling like a criminal - or a fool who has been duped. Bad taste in mouth. Need to book somewhere else now - any ideas?!

Room Tip: It does look absolutely beautiful, but look at all the room options when booking - the prices vary c...
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan H
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We found this Riad on the Internet so were a little worried that it would not live up to our expectations. We need not have worried, it was perfect in every way. We asked to be collected from the airport....our taxi was ready waiting for us. Our room in the Riad was comfortable and spotlessly clean, with constant hot water for showers. Considering we were so near to the square and in the souks, we wondered if we would find the Riad noisy. Not at all.....it's so very calm and peaceful in there and we found the sun beds on the terraces a great added attraction. From there, we watched the storks flying overhead! The hosts and staff were so very helpful and attentive, we could not have asked for more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SuzanneJ5848
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I found this Riad by research on this site, so most things have already been said. However, I loved my stay here. my friend and I had separate rooms on the first floor and it was so quiet. The rooms were very clean and the rose petals somehow made one fell special. The breakfast was wonderful, the buffet catering for all desires. Eggs and potatoes, apricots and pancakes and much more...
The staff were friendly but not intrusive, always helpful and smiling.....

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daisysmum1981
buenos aires
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

The riad is amazing, big rooms, nice details, and clean as it can be.

Location is also great, 5 minutes walk from Djem al Fna, but in a quiet place, no harassment and crazy salesmen nearby...

Food is also excellent so if you have time dinner there is a must!

Really happy to have met thia amazing place and its terrace!

• Stayed May 2013
Tamworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I am really just going to confirm everything everyone said. Its a beautiful Riad, lovely location. The hosts were very friendly and breakfast was the best I had in Morocco. The rooms are on the small side, but so well done out it doesnt make a difference really.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I hope this would help some worried travelers, choosing one riad out of hundreds is not easy. We were lucky to find this gem.

If you like roses & wants a Morrocan cultural experience,  this riad is for you.
Fresh roses & rose petals everywhere..tasteful Morrocan decor..
Travelling with children? We booked suite Laila Rania which was two connecting rooms , the first was double bed and the second was two single. Kids room (2 single beds) had flat screen TV with numerous channels to choose. No problem with WIFI connections.

Locations?
Two minutes to Djemma & souk. Walking distance to all attractions in medina.
Despite its central location, the riad maintains it's tranquility..

English language?
This was one of my main criteria because my Arabic & French are almost non-existence. ;)
The management staff speaks good English and most of the time, at least one person will be around. The others speaks French & Arabic but will find you an English speaking staff if you need one.

If you are worried about the transfer arrangement  ~
We requested transfer from airport to the riad on our arrival, it was on Friday noon, we were worried if the driver doesn't show up but there he was, with a big placard showing the riad's name.
Arranged another transfer from riad to airport on our last day. On time, no problem.

Safety of your belongings?
Our room has safety deposit box not much different from the ones provided by the other European chain hotel counterparts e.g Novotel etc. None of our cash/belongings stolen.

Lunch or dinner in Riad?
Had our lunch at the riad's terrace. Whole family felt treated like royalties. There again, rose petals all over the table cloth.
Do not underrate the tasty food that this riad can offer. They really employ a good cook but you have to ask in advance
Food was delicious with big portions.  Price are  very reasonable.

The free breakfast? Buffet. Good selections. Plenty of food.
But the ordered lunch/dinner are very much better.

Staff service?
Excellent!
If you are looking for a riad with staff that knows your name by heart then NO, they don't.
And I don't know all their names by heart either.
But, they are certainly friendly and helpful.
Our departure flight was in the evening, we requested for luggage storage but instead, they kindly offered us for late check out which was complementary as there was no reservation for the suite on that day.
An incident worth mentioning,
on the day of our arrival, we ordered too much. So a lot of food was wasted. So for our lunch  prior to departure, we ordered less. However, walking in the souk made everyone very hungry. We realised the food was not enough. So we asked the manager if we can order some more. He look quite perplexed and told me they could not offer us any because it took time to prepare. He suggested marrocain salad but he saw our disappointed face. Suddenly, he told us, not to worry. Just relax in the terrace. He will settle everything. We waited and continued eating. Then, they came and served us a portion of lamb with olive oil and also the salad. The lamb was on a plate instead of their normal tangine pot. We guessed that they actually bought food from outside for us. I must admit, for the price we paid this riad, their service exceed our expectation. We expected a fortune for the lunch because of their service but it only amounted to 28euros. The first lunch was 21euros. These are for family of four

Hammam in riad?
Great! Personal hammam for family of four, kids goes free :)
We tried to find a babysitter for our kids but we were surprised when they accepted our kids for the hammam for free. I have read about the hammam quite a lot before the trip. I am also a regular for spa & massage and have experience massage in Europe & south east Asia. But non of these, fully prepared me for the hammam. I have never brought my kids to spa. I always thought that spa & massage are for adult only, but It was not the case for hammam. Hammam is a cultural experience for the whole family. Even for the kids. We were giggling through out the experience. Squealing when being splashed with hot water, put on the savon noir and eucalyptus masque, scrubbed, comparing whose dirt was the most,  being soaped, rinsed  and finally cooled off in the cool chamber. Everyone felt cleaner than ever. We were so relaxed that evening, we just laze in our rooms and went to sleep.

Swimming pool?
No, there is none. We stayed in March. So we did not need it.

All in all.. Excellent!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family