“Drinks and Dinner - This place is out of this world”

Royal Mansour Marrakech
Ranked #34 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Drinks and Dinner - This place is out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Visited for drinks and dinner.

Firstly - it's very expensive. Just worth it however (although some of the menu items are just a little unreasonable - a dish of couscous is £35 for example).

If you submit to the open wallet sugery that takes place it is just incredible. This place "feels" so special & the staff are so calm and organised.

The main draw is the hotel itself - it's genuinely exquisite. Sensationally glamourous and cool - it's unlike most very expensive hotels I've been too - there is an X-Factor to the place that is hard to describe.

Great food, lovely wine, charming service, smiles all round.

Wow.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coops9999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

You will feel special staying here, as we did. Right from leaving the aircraft you will be met by 'Royal Mansour' reps, taken into the VIP lounge...passports checked and no queing.
Bags were taken to the Range rover waiting for us, 15 minutes drive to Palace, then met by Management and showen to our Amazing Riad.
Room keys were given in leather wallets, we were showen our Riad and how touch screen lighting/air con system works, 3 floors of opulant furniture and little touches were making me feel like a Celebrity.
Fresh fruit and Morroccan sweets were in lounge on arrival, bottled water supplied, and Coffee machine with pods and tea. (microwave & fridge was available in mini kitchen area)
The bedroom was Beautiful with Gorgeous En-suite, luxury products included..shampoo - hair mask - make up cleanser - exfoilating soap - body lotion, plus more..luxury robes and slippers for use.
Menus were available in Riad for breakfast/lunch/tea/drinks and dinner... prices were more than expected but its a once in a lifetime treat.
There were 2 plasmas in Riad, one downstairs in lounge and one in bedroom,,, my husband loved the fact that you could pause the film your watching on one Tv and then continue watching on the other. ...various films free of charge in languages to suit.
On the top floor was the plunge pool, 2 sunbeds and seating area... bliss in the sun.
The breakfast was included in our package ( it was 450 dirahams pp on menu )... served by white gloved butlers and a good selection.
Currency exchange was by Reception and had a good rate than the UK,
We didnt see the spa, but apparently it was amazing
The palace was walking distance to the Jemma square we went here in the day and night and both times were different, its quite an experience.
We went on a tour of Marrakesh, but the best they showed had no comparison to our Hotel, I felt the tour should of showed our Hotel and it would be the Highlight.
We returned to the airport via a Luxury heated/massage seats Mercedes S Class, and were taken care of with the Reps, we did not que and our passports were checked VIP style...then taken to the VIP lounge for coffee/drinks,
Amazing stay, Thank you very much Royal Mansour.

Room Tip: You will be happy in any room here
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Taurus_World
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

i have never written any reviews on hotels i haven't stayed at least one night at but i need to make an exception as the royal mansour is indeed exceptional. in fact it is spectacular. i dare say i am a hotel snob but the royal mansour had my breath taking away every way i look. i had tea, a massage treatment and dinner at the moroccan restaurant on my last day in marrakech and i wished i had found this place earlier. in fact, this palace is worth a visit to marrakech on its own. the service is world standard. every where you look you would be at awe. i cannot find one single fault in this property. i had a lymphatic drainage massage and after the treatment i felt like melted butter. i am also a massage snob and i dare say most of the therapist at many of the spas around the world and i have to many, don't have a clue but iman at the royal mansour sure does. she is awesome and hands down better than the best therapist in the united states and switzerland. and for any of you who wonders about asia, forget it, most asian therapist dont have a clue, they do their massage like robots. but iman and her magical touch! the only complaint is i did not have my day well planed as i was leaving marrakech the next morning and once i am inside the royal mansour i dont even want to leave so i had dinner right after my massage which kind of prevent me from enjoying both at the fullest. the food at the moroccan restaurant is top notch as are their wine choice. do try the moroccan wine as they go so well with moroccan food. the manager did show me one of their rooms, or rather one of the riads, simply perfect!!! oh sorry back to the spa, not only was the treatment spectacular but the spa itself was stunningly gorgeous. i will for sure go back to marrakech just to stay at the royal mansour. thank you for making me feel like a princess if for only one day!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank rubyyao
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

This place is one of the best hotel not only in Marrakech, but in the world.
It's a Palace with every tiny details you need .
Service is perfect, roo; in the riads very nice and location is just perfect
Any way, don't really see hotels by ranking in trip Advisor because it's just not a criteria and can not really gives you the real value of the place .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Normally we never write comments. The first time we take the time. Everything is perfect. It is a palace. A perfect recommendation. In comparison to the cost, it is not expensive. We stayed in a Riad, a Villa to highest European standards.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

I was lucky enough to be able to stay at this hotel for 2 nights last October with my wife; what I didnt realise was it would be the best hotel I've ever been to. As soon as we touched down in Marrakech and before we had entered the airport building we were whisked away from the "normal" holidaymakers to the beginning of 2 days of heaven.We were taken past all the usual checks and escorted to a Mercedes Limousine where we were taken to the Royal Mansour Hotel.As we gently arrived through the huge entrance gates and up to the front of the hotel, both our doors where opened at exactly the same time with great precision and then we were presented to the staff of the hotel. I found myself wondering if they had picked up the wrong people and were expecting royalty or someone like that. We were then shown to our Riad, and words cannot describe what we saw as we walked through the door, It was just incredible, the attention to detail,the size of the Riad and not least the immaculatley presented staff are such an asset to this hotel. Three floors of Morrocan oppulence were shown to us as we walked from one exquisite room to another. We decided to eat in the Morrocan Resturant for our first evening meal as it was my wife's birthday we thought we would splash out a bit. The food was out of this world and the service was fantastic.As we climbed (and I mean climb) into bed I didnt want to sleep because I couldn't take all of this in -but sleep I did - so much in fact we were late for breakfast. But again nothing was too much trouble, we were escorted to our table on the patio and were attended to like a king and queen.A tour of the hotel is a must, just to see the work that has gone on to create this "palace" is breathtaking.For the second evening meal we chose to eat on our terrace under the stars,once again nothing was too much trouble and whilst we were playing with the huge internet tv our private butler was getting dinner ready. Dinner was fantastic and so we climbed into our huge bed and dreamt that we didnt have to go home. But home we had to go to and our leaving was as perfect as our arriving. After thanking the Manager and his staff for an absolute mind blowing 3 days and 2 nights we had to say goodbye and get back into the limo for the ride back to reality. You must stay at this hotel as the staff and hotel are off the scale, I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. "We will be back"

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Thebuck384
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I pull into The Royal Mansour and step out of my car and step into my new role ‘the Prince of Morocco’. I enter through the gates into a decadent luxuriant palace.The Lobby is something out of 1001 Arabian Nights. I need a thesaurus to help me get close to describing what I am seeing and even then I will only fail .

I get shown to my room,sorry my ‘Personal Riad’As I walk through the private courtyard with its pretty fountain past my welcoming area with a daybed strewn with beautiful cushions for awaiting guests , into my sitting room,I know that I am experiencing something special.
If only my words were as ornate and well crafted as my sitting room.I find it hard to convey the details of the walls,with inlaid Cedarwood panelling ,bordered by beautifully carved plasterwork(the plasterwork is all hand prepared,it was laid flat and the an artisan created the intricate designs),then the golden silk panelling reaching up to the heights and more beautifully sculpted plasterwork that join a wooden ceiling full of colours and richness.Oh Lord I am crap….I cant’t do it,my words simply are not skilful or technical enough to explain the richness of this room. Even a photograph won’t do.No you have to get on a plane and come and visit Royal Mansour,but mind you bring that big fat chequebook.
Throughout the riad,there are marble floors,The sitting room and guest waiting room have grey marble floors,The stairways which lead to the sleeping quarters have inlaid marble,the bathrooms have a beautiful brown marble,they must have emptied a whole quarry somewhere in Italy !
The bedroom is warm ,it has wooden floors and wooden lattice work separating the dressing area,the doorway leading to the bathroom beats anything I saw in the antique shops.There is a very pretty dresser/ desk set into a window alcove with an ornate chair placed carefully in front.The bed is grand and wooden and there is a bench at the end upholstered in a rust coloured velvet.A Huge armchair is placed in the corner ,next to the brass mirror.The walls are adorned with more of the splendid wood panelling and handcrafted plasterwork.The piece de resistance is the ochre coloured wooden ceilings with handpainted beams with Moorish patternwork.I think it would be fair to say ,I love this room.
There is the obligatory oversized bath (also marble!) and a huge shower with, you guessed it, marble walls and pretty lantern lighting.There is a throne room fit for a prince ,very spacious with toilet and bidet and a beautiful patterned opaque glass door.
There is also a novel idea,a luggage room,to keep those ugly suitcases away from the beautiful dressing areas.
The light fittings also are special from the black candelabra in the sitting room,to the crystal chandelier in the hallway,the beautiful silver and leaded lights in the bathroom,the pretty lanterns lighting up the stairwells, and the copper star shaped light above my bed.
Then up another set of marble inlaid stairs I progress to the roof terrace ,where there is a rustic bright coloured daybed set in its own petit marquee with at its centre a pretty patterned wooden coffee table, there are matching side tables .This will be a wonderful place to take a breakfast ,4 tiled stairs lead to a small private heated plunge pool and 2 towel bedecked sunloungers next to an open fireplace.Home!!!!!!!!
On each floor is a mystery door,it leads to a secret set of passageways,that in turn lead to the kitchens and storage areas of the hotel.No member of staff appears at your front door,instead the smartly dressed butlers arrive through these portals ,as if by magic.
My favourite part of the hotel however are the lighting and aircon controls.They are all electronic,they are easy to use and they actually work.Until today I have sworn that we will not use domotic engineering in our new hotel as it is far too complex ,you need a manual on how to use it,and the blasted things malfunction half of the time.I find myself closing curtains ,when I wish to switch on the bathroom light.Not here,no, no, no…The Royal Mansour has got it right. Fantastic wall panels with touchscreen panels that even a technophobe can use. Yes that would be me!
I also love the keys,an electronic card like normal,but presented in a beautiful leather wallet.It really gives the feel of sheer luxury.
Okay enough of the gushing room description and on to the stay.

Once I have cleared the tears of joy from my eyes on entering the riad,I see a plethora of goodies waiting for me.Fantastic patisseries,wonderful fruits,I will not need my lunch,but I might need a new pair of trousers to fit into,que gordo soy yo! I am shown the room service menus,all 5 of them,they are beautifully presented on a stand.There are 1 each for Breakfast,Lunch,Afternoon tea and Dinner,and there is also a Drinks menu to complete the set.As I head off to tour the hotel,I am told they can unpack my bags….Prince Weingard thinks ‘why not !’.
I am shown the restaurants which are in a separate restaurant riad ,the 2 main restaurants are French and Moroccan.The consultant chef is Yannick Alleno ,Head Chef at Le Meurice.I ask which is the best place to eat.I am told the Moroccan restaurant,when pressed a little further I am told the French restaurant is full.Moroccan it is then!To give you a brief insight into the French restaurant however I will list a few dishes and their (g)astronomical prices:
Langoustines crues assaisonees au caviar 1500 MAD (USD 170/EUR 135/GBP 110)
Faux Filet de Boeuf Wagyu Roti 1600 MAD (USD 180/EUR 140/GBP 115)
The Menu degustacion is however a well priced 2000 MAD ( USD 235/EUR 180/GBP 150)
I then take a tour through the Spa and view the indoor swimming pool. All of which are as opulent and splendorous as you would expect.
I head back to my room ,and pay a quick visit to the Kids club, which to be honest seems small and disappointing in comparison to the rest of this grand abode. I go back to my room and start writing.
I shower with the beautiful soaps and shampoos and then dry off and change.My first real complaint,there is obviously a small problem with the drains and the bathroom is left with a nasty odour ( and no it isn’t Mark made).
Later,I decide to sample room service and order a glass of rose champagne with a little foie gras as an aperitif on my roof terrace,what else would Prince Weingard order .My first drink of the New Year,what the hell,I may even drink some wine with my meal.
The Moroccan restaurant is beautiful but feels like dining in a library.There are people sitting at just one other table and there is no music.I order a mix of Moroccan salads followed by Turbot done 2
ways and then a Moroccan fruit based dessert.The wine list is exclusively French except for a few Moroccan wines.Yes I know I should go for the Moroccan wines,but I plump instead for a wine from Cotes de Catalanes,I am getting homesick obviously.
As my first course is served the silence is broken by a wail of a man in obvious pain.Moroccan music is obviously not my cup of mint tea,how I wish to be back in the library of 15 minutes ago.
The food is simply sublime,the service excellent,I go to bed full to the brim.My room has had no turndown service,but I could not really care or complain as I sink into the mattress and have one final look at my Moroccan masterpiece of a bedroom and royally sleep.

I awake the next day very early,as there was no turndown service the curtains were wide open and I rise with the sun.I order breakfast and then run my bath .I am told my breakfast will take 30 minutes,I have ordered everything,there is a set price of 450 MAD (USD 53,EUR 40,GBP 34) .After 15 minutes my bath is hardly filled,I hop in anyway and lie back and promptly smash my head on the hard marble edge of the tub,square baths are not comfortable and especially half empty square baths.
I head upstairs,my aperitif from last night is still on the terrace,not cleared away.I sit down and start writing and wait ….and wait… and wait.My breakfast takes 55 minutes to arrive,but I will say it was a breakfast fit for a prince a very fat prince ,leagues better than Amanjena.
I ring down and organize another little tour of the hotel.The lovely Khadija is there to meet me.She informs me that it took 4 years for 1000 craftsmen working 24 hours a day to build the Royal Mansour.The hotel is owned by the King of Morocco himself.She shows me around all of the public spaces,The bar is incredible with a marble ceiling and a beautiful bed of leaves sculpture covering the marble.The function room upstairs has a wall covered with a wallpaper made from silver and leather.But none of this is flashy or lacking taste,it is simply beautiful,this hotel is a modern day wonder.I could take you on a verbal tour of all of the spaces,but I wil simply run out of superlatives.

I ask for the butler to help me pack my bags ,he does it very well,much better than I could.I run around taking some last photographs and making last minute notes and then bid farewell to my room.

I pay my very high bill,without flinching,knowing that I have just had a fantastic stay in a wonderful place.The service is very formal and not warm like at Amanjena but it is a far better hotel in every other aspect.
Would I recommend The Royal Mansour? The answer is Yes and No.If you are going away for a weekend break to Marrakech with your loved one and want to splash out,THIS is the place.If on the other hand you want a family holiday,forget it. I wouldn’t bring my kids as I would be scared stiff of them breaking something or just making noise.It is a little too formal for me,but then Royalty is about formality.A princely stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo