“Noisy, Dark and Poor Customer Service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis

Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis
Ranked #177 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
New York City, New York
“Noisy, Dark and Poor Customer Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This place is quite noisy. Our room had windows facing both the front of the hotel and the interior courtyard. So while we tried to sleep, there was street noise well into the morning (it was Ramadan, so the kids were routinely up through 4am). Then we'd be welcomed with the morning by the noise of the staff/guests, as early as 6am. Also, the positioning of these windows made it impossible to open the wooden shutters for a much needed breeze or a bit of sunlight - as they were both exposed to passersby and offered no privacy. I'm sure there were other pleasant rooms, so be sure to ask for a non-street-facing room if you want some fresh air and a little quiet.

About the customer service. I wanted to pay for a in-hotel massage service that was advertised in Euros. I was leaving the next day, so I had just enough Dhiram to make it to the airport. The service was 42 Euro and I had 50 Euro. The hotel manager (not Sarah) said he didn't have change because he didn't have a key to the cash register and I would have to go out into the souk, find an ATM, and bring them the exact amount. Otherwise, pay and forfeight my change. I offered to pay on my credit card and they said they needed the cash to pay the masseuse. I had just spent several days getting lost (and frustrated) in the maze of the medina, and there was no way I was going out find an ATM because the hotel didn't have change. Confused about what to do, the manager called Sarah, who told me in the most unprofessional and rude manner that it was not her problem that I didn't have change and that her guests "knew to have exact change" when paying their bills. What? I told her that I wasn't putting myself at risk to find an ATM at 7pm in souk and that if she didn't have the change, then she'll have to eat the fee. In the end, she had someone bring them the change to hand over to me. I've been traveling most of my life and have NEVER encountered such poor customer service. I couldn't believe how a hotel proprietor would impose such a burden on their guest - and, worse, be so rude and unapologetic about it.

If you want to stay at a hard-to-find, noisy, darkly-lit place with a proprietor who couldn't care less about their guests' experience, then this place is for you!

Room Tip: Request a room that DOES NOT face the front of the building
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Riad_Oiseau_Paradis, Responsable relations clients at Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Oh what a pity!! I understand you that you don't have a stay meet your expectations, but to say the exact words that in real was said from you it is not fair. If I remember what you said, you told me that is no Your problem that we don't have the money back, and I propose to you, when you will go outside to have diner in our beautiful and welcoming médina you will be able to have currency. You told me that you don't care and that was not your problem and you want your money back now. For your information we don't pay direct the masseuse, so I'am very surprise that the reception told you that. We are here to satisfy our customers, so I sent you somebody from outside to give you your money back. I thought that you will be happy and comforted after. I'am very sorry about this inconvenience, hope you enjoyed your stay in spite of that.

Sarah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Morris Plains, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Even though it is in the medina, it is in a quiet place. Finding the medina was a little bit of a challenge for our cab driver. Taxis cannot drive up to the medina and beware of people pretending to belong to the medina and get hold of your luggage and walk for about 5 minutes and demand a ton of money. We fell prey to this tactic.

It is wonderful riad with trees inside; rooms are airconditioned and it has wifi; the terrace has lounge chairs also. the room was reasonably sized and the bathrooms were ok too.

The young man provided us with the maps and gave directions in and around the medina. It is a good 10 minute walk but we did not mind it at all. It is in a residential area and we never felt unsafe.

The breakfast was wonderful but they use too much oil on fried eggs. But their moroccan pancakes were out of the world.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Riad_Oiseau_Paradis, Responsable relations clients at Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I'am very happy that you spent a great stay in the riad and Marrakech!!! Thank you for this excellent comment!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I couldn't have been happier with my stay at the Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis. Sarah was extremely helpful in helping me to plan my stay at the riad, responding promptly to a number of emails about a variety of questions and concerns I had regarding my stay in Marrakesh. When I got to the riad, she and Wassim made sure I was comfortable and had everything I needed. When I needed breakfast earlier, Wassim made sure I had breakfast earlier; when I decided to skip a night at the riad and go trek in the dessert for a night, they held on to my luggage and changed my reservation for me. When Vueling Airlines lost my baggage, Sarah got in contact with the airport to help track down my missing suitcase. The room itself was comfortable, and it was great to come back to good a/c after a long day in the busy medina. Finding the riad is initially a challenge, but that's typical in the medina. Once you know where you are, it is very easy and relatively quick to get anywhere. Despite the fact that the riad is located in the loud medina, it is on a quiet street, and I rarely, if ever, heard any loud noise. Thank you guys for a great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael G
It was a pleasure to serve you!! Hope you FINALLY get back your luggage! All the riad team thank you and hope to see you again (with all your stall it will be better!) You are such a positive person, you enjoyed your stay in despite of your missed luggage.

Toronto Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This riad is a well kept and comfortable place to stay. Service could not have been better and breakfast was excellent. It's an easy walk into the market.

Very notable is that Sara arranged for a company to drive us to our stay in the desert and on to Fez. She chose very well and this was the best driver and car that we had in Morocco. Rashid, the driver was a pleasure to spend 4 days with, was proud of his country and wanted to make sure we saw good things. The air conditioned van was a Hyundai and accomodated the 6 of us plus luggage comfortably. His company arranged our place to stay in the desert and it was a memorable experience in life of travelling.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you it was a real plaesure to satisfy you, I'am so happy that you spent a beautiful stay in Morocco!!! All the team thank you and hope to see you again!!!

Best regards
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed here for four nights. Sarah had arranged for a hired car to meet us at the airport. Marrakech is a little hard to navigate a first so this is probably the best thing to do. We also used this service to return to the airport.

This is not a large place. Probably like most of the riads. A nice patio on the ground floor where you had breakfast. There is a plunge pool there too. We used that everyday. It is cold getting in but really cools you off after walking around all day in the heat.

Because it is a little way off from the main square, only 10 or 15 minutes walk, I think it is a little quieter than a place closer. We never felt unsafe walking around at night. Just families out in the evening.

Our room was very nice. Bathroom is large.

The breakfasts were very good. We had dinner one night and it was good too.

Sarah booked a walking trip into the foothills of the atlas mountains for us. It was a really wonderful trip. We got to eat in the house of our guide. Seeing the foothills was a nice change from the big city.

Don't forget to go on the roof to see out over the city.

The location this comes up in google maps is wrong. Make sure you know exactly where it is.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Riad_Oiseau_Paradis, Responsable relations clients at Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Hi, I wanna thank you for this excellent message! I'am very happy that you had a great stay with us!!!! Hope to see you soon!!

Take care
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Lovely little riad! our party had 4 adults and 2 children (11 & 8 years old). The riad was clean and quite. Breakfast was wonderful and varied each morning. Mint tea was free anytime you wanted it. Staff was extremely helpful and courteous at every turn. They took care of planning a 3-4 day trip to the desert and up to Fez - everything went extremely smoothly and was one of the best parts of our trip. We couldn't have asked for more from this establishment.

Thank you!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KajBoa
Hi, such a great time with you!! i'am very proud of the team made you very comfortable and helpfuly! You are welcome to come back next time!!

Take care all the family!
Sarah and the riad team
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Great friendly service and superb breakfast. Fresh orange juice breads/pancakes/toast/cake every morning. Simple but good and not a cereal in sight. We had the 2 rooms on the top floor-very comfortable and basic with an area to sit out and have a drink. We had dinner there on our first night and was probably the best we had in 5 days. A fantastic beef tagine -no choice but a good 3 courses. No TV and safe did not work in one of the rooms-not fixed during our 4 night stay.AC good and was needed in May as we got to 36 degrees on 2 days-Highly unseasonable. Rooms clean but maintenance could be improved re light fittings/painting sun beds/dripping tap on outside sink etc. A small freshen up would be good. Having said that staff very friendly and helpful-First class.

Room Tip: 2 rooms on top floor (Hisbiscus and one other)give a bit of peace and great views of satellite dishe...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Riad_Oiseau_Paradis, Responsable relations clients at Riad l'Oiseau du Paradis, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank you I'am very happy that you had a great stay with us. We are fix everything don't worry, I'am listening to our guests and will improve the place will you make you have an another stay here!