“Best cooking class I've taken....”

Ateliers d'Ailleurs
More attraction details
Owner description: In Marrakech, Ateliers d'ailleurs offers a truly authentic DISCOVERY of Moroccan culture by approaching it from the perspective of traditional skills (crafts, cooking, wellness, culture), to discover, enjoy, have fun , share, create, ... On the program: a few hours of practice until Workshops Internship several days, all in a simple and authentic atmosphere, far away from mass tourism activities. Ateliers d'Ailleurs is part of the philosophy of social entrepreneurship in pursuing social and cultural aims of two kinds: - To develop income-generating activities for people who master traditional know-how, who wish better value but do not have the means - Assist in the preservation of traditional knowledge by allowing people who practice them to live
Reviewed November 9, 2013

When I visit a new country, I often like to take a cooking class. This is by far the best class combined with overall experience that I've had.

We were met in the main square by our assistant. She is a Moroccan student trying to help her family. She spoke flawless English and immediately put as at ease. During our 3+ hours together, she taught my husband and me about Morocco, the culture and her life. It was a pleasure to get to know her.

We navigated our way through the souk to our host's house. It was such a surprise to be lead down the small alleyway and into a local home. Our host welcomed us, introduced us to her family and, althought she spoke via our assistant, made us feel at ease in her home.

We made traditional Moroccan bread, a tagine and a traditional aubergine side dish. The food was delicious. We also made traditional mint tea and were treated to home made biscuits.

The food and the experience made our trip to Marrakech. I highly recommend it

2  Thank hellie1

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our Riad recommended a Moroccan Cooking Class through this company and we are so happy that we took them up on their recommendation. It was amazing to be in a traditional Moroccan home while learning to make the classic Moroccan dishes. It was a culturally enriching experience and we would recommend that everyone try a class through this company. Our facilitator named Anas Zedgui was so helpful and kind and he spoke excellent English!

2  Thank Jen M
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was recommended by my Riad to do an activity with this company as I love food and was really interested in learning how to make tagine. It was a really great experience which was a definitie highlight of my trip.

I had a lovely friendly young guide who spoke good English who came to my Riad and took me through the backstreets of Marrekech to a traditional Riad where a family actually live. The woman of the Riad taught me to make chicken tagine, bread and an aubergine dish, and was, through the interpreter, very patient with my questions both about the food and also remarkably kind with giving me information about her life. We cooked the food and then ate it together, and it was great. I've since made the tagine at home, using some spices that I was given, and it tasted nearly authentic! I would really recommend this company as they seem to care about the quality of what they offer and I would be very happy to do other workshops and classes that they offer

2  Thank zozitufnell
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spent around five or six hours making delicious Moroccan food including koos koos, a Moroccan soup, these amazing almond cookies, crepes, mmmm it was all so delicious!! The guides were excellent -- friendly, funny, genuine, smart, just great people! The home in which the workshop occurred was beautiful and felt like a true Moroccan experience. : )

The company that does the tours sounds very good as well, supporting students and creating a creative, fun, and unique travel experience for those who visit Morocco. I would love to return and do more of these workshops someday!

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I spent 4 hours one morning making a lovely Moroccan pattern pendant at Jamal's jewelry shop courtesy of Ateliers d'Ailleurs and our student host/translater, Nahid. Nahid was a patient and thorough translator, which was much needed. Jamal was lovely, answering our questions, and showed us over and over how to do the intricate work with which he is so familiar (5th generation jeweler, and 35 years himself). If you enjoy detailed work with your hands, you will love this workshop. We had a great "grilled cheese" baguette right near the shop, which was delicious and reasonably prices. Don't miss the shopping in the artisinal center in which this was located.