“Not typically moroccan”

Azar
Ranked #27 of 903 Restaurants in Marrakech
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Libanese and moroccan restaurant located in Gueliz. Live music, belly dancers show, terrace, lounge and shisha bar. The perfect place to discover the oriental way in Marrakesh.
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We had a good evening and enjoyed the entertainment of the stunning bellydancers on the sunday night but were disappointed in the food and with hindsight would have preferred to dine in surroundings closer to the medina.

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We arrived & were taken to the main area were we were going to be seated. As soon as the lady showed us to our table it was like they were asking us to sit on the other couples lap. The tables are far to close together! It's like being seated in a school canteen. I asked if we can sit some where more private & they were good enough to move us. We sat down & they expected us to order drinks & food within 2 minutes of opening the menu. Service really lacks here as staff look chaotic & stressed. The only two things which I can praise them on is the food is wonderful & the decor is gorgeous. It's just the staff have no service skills & walk around looking moody!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Azar was so much better than we could have expected! With Laurence of Arabia being projected onto one wall it was hard to get my boyfriend's attention at times, but the atmophere at Azar was incredible! We dinned on a Saturday night and the restaurant was full of wealthy looking locals, a real contrast to some areas of the Medina. We started off with cocktails, then shared wine, a few mezzes and a main each. The food was exquisite and the twist on Morrocan dishes were welcomed by us! The entrainment came in the form of belly dancers and an Egyptian singer, both of which were amazing and added a really modern atmosphere to the glamorous setting. Reviews seem to think this restaurant is over priced, I'd argue against this... we were having such a good time we didn't want to leave so ordered more drinks after the meal and the bill was still easily manageable. Definitely worth a visit for those who want to experience the up and coming reality of the new Marrakech.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Myself and my friends decided to eat in Azar on our last night in Marrakech, having read the reviews and earlier in the week had a fantastic meal at their sister restaurant Comptoir Darna. We made a reservation for 9pm and promptly seated at our table. The decor was gorgeous, very luxe and sumptuous. We ordered some mojitos that took over 20minutes to arrive and when they finally came the waiter placed them on the table and poured what appeared to be water into them. Myself and my friends look very confused (being mojito experts) but nevertheless didn't comment. Well it turnt out the mojitos was awful and tasteless. 3 of my friends only eat fish and I also chose a fish dish. On ordering we were most upset to be told that they had sold out of fish, I was very confused as the restaurant wasn't even busy. The manager was very apologetic. I ordered the mixed grill and the meat was very bland and mediocre, my friends had vegetarian dishes which they described as ok. The restaurant seems a bit out of place given its grandeur and its location in a very "run down" street. Slightly disappointing this was our final meal in Marrakech but glad we tried it all the same

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were looking for some good eats and a little glamour along with our late reservation on a Wednesday night, and we more than got it at Azar. For three people (2 men and 1 woman), we ordered one tasting menu intended for 2 plus 2 extra mezes and had plenty of delicious food. The chicken wings were the absolute hit all around, and I don't normally like wings. The falafel were the most petite but best I've ever had. Also enjoyed the fried haloumi a lot but everything was really very good. For the mains, we had the chicken and the lamb tagine. Chicken was good but lamb was out of this world. That sauce! We ate every morsel of lamb and the sopped up all the sauce with our bread. Dessert was a panna cotta type thing in fleur d'orange/rose flavor and a cheese dumpling in the same flavor profile. Yum. Ambiance was also perfect — mood lighting and a mix of vintage and modern decor. Bathrooms were a special treat with clever custom wallpaper in each stall featuring a different type of souk vendor: slippers, scarves, lotions and potions, etc. There was an energy throughout thanks to the ridiculous but fun belly dancers, friendly hosts/servers and happy customers. Neighborhood was otherwise pretty generic in my eyes, but happy to go out of way for this gem.

1  Thank kellyj415