WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Riad Anabel

Riad Anabel
Ranked #18 of 1,187 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Three nights in November 2011 - wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

A friend of mine recommedned this riad to us and we all fell in love with it at first second. I recommended it to my friends when they were visiting Marrakech and they loved it too :-) Staff made our stay even more beautiful. Any trip you'd like to know about or arrange, or you need info about visiting hammam (traditional or spa for tourists), restaurant, museum or directions, answer to all is just outside your room door. Location was great, 10 min walk to main square and we were not afraid getting home at night. You'd love Riad Anabel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bologna, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

It was a pleasure to stay at Riad Anabel. The staff was friendly, the breakfast was phenomenal, the decor was beautiful, and the showers were hot. I can't recommend it enough. It's in a great location, right in the center of things, but tucked away so that it's quiet and serene. I recommend this Riad to everyone!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I fell in love with Riad Anabel. The welcome we received from all the staff was awesome, they were so lovely. We had a welcome drink on the beautiful terrace where they showed us on a map all the places we should go. They couldnt do enough for us. The place was stunning, something straight out of SATC. It was very clean and open 24 hours so you can come and go as you please. I would recommend to anyone; i went with a group of 6 girls, but there were couples staying there and children also. Its very close to the main square, but far enough away to be very quiet and peaceful.

I fell in love with the place and cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tashaF1
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

My parents spent one night here before leaving on a camel excursion. I had arranged with the riad to have them picked up at the train station and airport (one was traveling a few days prior). The pick ups went smoothly and I was reassured by getting an email to say they had arrived. I really appreciated this as I was nervous about my non-French speaking parents traveling in Morocco without me. Habiba and the staff woke up early to get breakfast ready for my mom and dad and then called the company to make sure they were on their way to pick them up. My parents loved the riad - were so impressed by how pretty it was, the attention to detail, and how kind the staff were. They booked it again to share it with their friends who are flying in to visit in a few weeks. Thank you so much for making their experience pleasant and for making me more relaxed! : )

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank S_M_2012
Udine, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

So here I am after my second time in Marrakech and Riad Anabel (see my first review about the riad). I have read the other reviews written after mine and I'm really surprised by the only one that was complaining about breakfast and room space ('nothing special just nice'). True: the guy with the little cart that takes your luggage after the taxi drops you off in the medina forces you to tip him, but he's no Riad employee, just one of the hundreds of people that tries to take advantage of the unaware tourist. He did the same to us the first time, but never again.
In Marrakech you have to learn quite a few lessons before you know exactly how to deal with prices and people (...I'm still learning..). But it's not riad's fault. The same review says that breakfast was not sufficient... Well, see my pictures (taken on two different days) and judge yourself: coffee, tea, milk and baguette bread as much as you want (they give you what they think is enough but if you need more they're more than happy to refill) and for each guest the following: 1 glass of fresh squeezed orange juice, one slice of cake, one pastry, one moroccan crepe, one round moroccan pancake, one cream cheese, different jams (bitter orange, figue and berries), butter, honey, one yogurt and each morning one more thing different everyday: could be an egg, could be fruit salad (see pic 2,in the glass near the cup), could be an extra kind of crepe... In picture 1 you can see in the foreground bread and a plate with 4 pancakes, 4 crepes, 4 moroccan crepes, in the background the 4 slices of cakes, 4 pastries (we were 4 people...). Sorry for being so precise but now you can decide yourself if breakfast at Riad Anabel leaves you with the desire to go outside and eat again. Ok,it's not eggs, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, hashbrowns and toasted bread, but are we in UK??? No...
Now the rooms: I wouldn't really define the Rose suite as claustrophobic: there's a king size bed, a sofa, a table, chairs and plenty of space to walk around. Don't know about the shower, but I'm sure that if there was a problem it has been fixed. Habiba is VERY attentive to every little detail and always makes improvements. She takes care of the riad with a real passion. This time I have been staying in Chocolat room and to tell the truth it'is a bit small for two people but that's why it's cheaper than the other 3 rooms. I had friends staying in other riads in the medina but the cheaper rate they paid compared to Riad Anabel showed in every little thing (breakfast, cleanliness, features of the riad...). I really think Riad Anabel is the best I've seen in the medina with that range of price and that is where I'll be going back to when in Marrakech.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

My friend and I participated in a 4-hour cooking class with Habiba, who runs the riad. She took us to the market where the locals go, which was quite the experience, then we joined her in the kitchen for an extraordinary culinary experience! We learned to make three different types of moroccan salads, tangine, and a yummy desert. Spending time with the ladies provided an "authentic" moroccan experience in a welcoming and homey atmosphere. It was a breath of fresh air after several days meddling with salesmen in the souks of the medina, and I would recommend it to everyone- the cuisine, by the way, was beyond fabulous.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elisabedda
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

From the moment we arrived in Marrakech our needs were taken care of by Habiba and her lovely staff. A taxi from the airport was ready and waiting; help to transport our luggage and guide us through the winding streeets at night co-ordinated perfectly; before we knew it we were in our candle-lit traditional riad where a delicious moroccan meal was waiting. Breakfasts were excellent- warm breads, freshly cooked eggs, cheese, jams, juice, coffee and tea - all served on the sunny roof terrace. The riad is only five minutes from the excitement of the main square yet the distant Atlas mountains are visible from the terrace. We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Riad with a beautiful meal prepared specially by Habiba. Rooms are very comfortable with many traditional Moroccan features- both architectural and decorative. A highlight of our stay was the cookery lesson given by Habiba to a group of 6 of us- we learned how to prepare three authentic starters, two tagines and a desert before enjoying the meal under the stars. We were given lots of helpful advice about where to visit so that we could make the most of our time; we can recommend a caleche trip to the Jardins Majorelle, visits to the two Palaces and the Saadian Tombs, nightime on the main square, an afternoon in a spa/hammam (we loved Les Bains de Marrakech), and a grand taxi tour into the mountains.
In short, Riad Anabel is in a great location and offers great service at a fair price. We would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple