“unpleasant stay”

Ranked #340 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“unpleasant stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

My wife and me became very disillusioned with this place
Cleaning workers : great.
The rest of the workers : unpleasant .
I do not recommend this Riad . We will not return

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mr741

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

I travelled with a friend to Marrakech and we Loved it. The fact that our hotel was a little sanctury really helped. This riad is located in the medina and is walking distance to everything inside. (We also walked to the YSL garden)
There is no TV in the room
The staff are super friendly and leave you to lounge by the pool or bake on the rooftop.
Value for money is AMAZING would deff go back

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Swindon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2010

We were in Marrakech for the first time and spent four nights at Riad Barroko. Being on a short city break we wanted somewhere pleasant to stay and conveniently located, which is what we got.

The Riad is very quaint and the staff were all very helpful (Simon particularly helped with suggestions of what to do and no sign of pushing us to do any commission-earning excursions). The place was clean and the pool, though small, was lovely and refreshing.

We stayed on the first floor (four rooms on each ground and first floors) and found the room to be fine for our needs. Only small niggles would be no door on the en-suite and noise early in the morning from the local mosque and birds in the tree in the courtyard outside the window.

The Riad is about 10 minutes from the souks and the main square. It's a bit further than some riads but we liked the chance to stroll back and forth during the day and evening.

It's also conveniently located for getting out of the medina to visit the Jardins. Finally, contrary to some suggestions the place is easy to find once you've initially been shown where it is.

We enjoyed our stay and certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2010
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed in Riad Barroko for three nights and had a great time. There's a small pool in the courtyard that in refreshing in the summer. The rooms have AC and are well-decorated. The staff was very helpful in arranging a rental car and giving directions.

Overall, we had a great stay and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

Beautiful riad, great location. My only gripe would be that the service was not quite as good as some of the orther riads we stayed in - but the location and decor can't be beat.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
WARWICK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

Loved it here. A beautiful riad in a really good position. Good Food and breakfast. Enjoyed the lovely pool and tranquil surroundings. Would highly recommend a stay here. 10 mins walk from the square. Go in the other direction and 2 mins round the corner is a lovely local souk full of bargins and lovely friendly people all with a smile. We would return tomorrow if possible. We too had an evening flight. We were allowed to stay using our room and the pool etc until we left late afternoon. Loved the square and souks and had no bad experiences at all. Enjoyed a great daytrip to the Ourika (sp?) Valley and climbed to the waterfalls. Glad we had a guide because the rocks were very slippery and he helped us with the climb. All in all a great trip. Also enjoyed the marjorelle gardens. We took a caleche ride here and around the Palms. Good fun and horses looked well cared for compared to other countries we have visited.Would not recommend Ryan air! Cattle class at the very worst.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

I have just returned from the Riad Barroko with my husband for a 3 day break. We found this place on Expedia and paid much less than we would have if we had booked direct. We arrived about 9pm after nearly two hours extra on the plane due to Spanish air strikes, and as we had booked our transfer through the Riad we were worried that someone had to wait for us. However, we were greeted by a lovely guy who took our bags for us and nothing was too much trouble, he drove us to the Riad and walked us to the door, thank god as we would never have found the place in a taxi as you have to wonder down several alleyways to get to the doors of the Riad. We were greeted by the manager who was really friendly and so helpful throughout our stay. He gave us some lovely peppermint tea whilst he sorted our details etc and I INSTANTLY RELAXED!! There is a beautiful pool area and they play really good chill out music, so calm and quiet. We were shown to our room which was in fact the door next to us, we were really pleased to be able to get out of bed and within three steps be in the pool, we also had breakfast served outside our room every morning, so spoilt, we felt as though we should have been on our honeymoon again with the service we received! On our last night we asked to have food in the Riad, you have to order early so that they can prepare the food throughout the day. It was the best food we ate during our stay (but prob a bit over priced!), and we were so lucky as we were the only guest that night as they were expecting their new guests for all 7 rooms to arrive the following evening. It was very romantic, just the two of us and fab food and music, what more can you want! Oh and of course a bottle of vino. They do stock a small amount of alcohol at the Riad, but it is best to ask for it the night before and they will get it for you and keep it in the fridge until you want it. You are able to help yourself to water and soft drinks from the fridge during your stay and they will bill you for it at the end! We did realise on our last day that we had actually booked a deluxe room which was on the second floor and not the standard which was the room we stayed in, I think the difference is the space in the room as our room was pretty small but we actually preferred it anyway as we could wondered in and out of our room all day whilst sunbathing and relaxing etc. We had such a lovely time and had paid a lot less than we should have that we did not bother to haggle over a couple of pounds, they were also really kind to us on our last day as we were not flying until 6pm, so they let us have full use of the Riad all day to ourselves as the new guests were not arriving until 8pm, although we had to check out, they still let us use one of the rooms to shower in etc. I would highly recommend this place to all types of parties accept families, this is not a place to bring children, maybe I am selfish as I do not have kids, but there were some children for the first day or so and it did ruin the atmosphere as it is only a small area and they were really noisy in the pool etc and splashing around, not their fault as they were being kids, but as parents, I think it was selfish to go somewhere like that with children, especially in 49 degree heat!!! I actually think that they should market it as exclusively for adults, however, that is my opinion!

The one negative point I have is that the bed and pillows were so uncomfortable, I luckily took a foam pillow which I use on the plane so that was what I used during my stay, everything was so lumpy, they defo need some new mattresses and pillows, however, I would not let this stop me from returning and I do suffer from chronic back pain and I coped, so do not let that put you off!! The rooms are pretty basic but very authentic which makes up for it, and to be honest we were literally only in our rooms to sleep and we spent the rest of the time hanging out in the courtyard of the Riad.

Re Marrakech, we went out into the new Medina one evening and we stumbled across a very cool bar which I wanted to mention. It is called “Marrak Coffee Chic”. I initially thought it was a coffee shop, however, after closer inspection we realised that it was a cool restaurant/cocktail bar. The roof rolls back and they have lots of machines which spray mist to keep you cool. My husband and I had visited New York in June and it reminded us of an upmarket New York bar, we later spoke to the owner and realised that he was from New York! Anyway, great DJ, brill music, funky house and chill out, great wine and the best service we received during our stay, they were so attentive. We did eat here one night which was a bit naughty as they do not serve Moroccan food and we felt guilty eating American food in Morroco, however, it was lovely and it was more convenience really as we were having such a good time there we did not want to leave to go to a restaurant! Get’s busy around 10.30pm, so make sure you get there before to get a seat!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple