“The friendliest hostel you will come across.”

Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge
Ranked #22 of 287 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Paris, France
“The friendliest hostel you will come across.”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The great standout at this hostel are the staff. They will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and at home with unlimited mint tea and shi sha! I stayed in a 6 bedroom dorm which was comfortable enough, although everybody tends to spend most of their time lounging either downstairs or upstairs on the terrace - both of which have an abundant range of colourful cushions. The hostel is also very well located - an easy 5 minute walk from the main square and souks. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Marrakech rouge is a great place, Malik the manager is very helpful, he gave me good advises for restorants, coffe shops,hamman and so on. After all day walking on the street, you come back to the hostel and you feel at home. The service is fantastique, always offer you the a la menthe (free), the breakfast is taste and the staff is always in a good mood. During the summer you can sleep on the terrace:-) and in addition is located in the very center of the medina.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed September 30, 2012

If you want to go to Marrakesh, your best choice would be Riad Marrakesh Rouge, especially when you want to have fun and meet new people. In the same time is very peaceful and safe place. It s good value for money, has a good location right in the center of the medina. You can find an excellent exchange point right over the corner. And the most important thing, the host, Ali is such an amazing person.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is the place to be, s it'clean, full of life, full of travelers, the best location, just in the Medina and Ali, the host was a blast, i had a lot of fun there. i was welcomed with shisha and tea and received excellent traveling tips.

Room Tip: you will definetly have a good room
1 Thank Maria P
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have slept in many different places in my life. From the finest five star hotels in the world, to simple guesthouses, to couches at friends houses, couchettes on trains, overnight buses, and even an internet cafe in Bangkok.

But I have only had the sensation of wanting to stay and not leave at a few times. And in my most recent 93 day/10 country trip around the world, it happened at the Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge, or more specifically, the sister property of it at Number 23 two streets over. As for the aforementioned Number 40 at Derb Zenka Dika, I am not qualified to say much since I only had one encounter with them: when I showed up at their door last minute late one afternoon without reservation, they said they were fully booked but they still let me sit down, offered me some mint tea for free and then walked me over to their sister property for free (only mentioning because this is Morocco after all where help from locals typically required "tips"/"bakeesh" afterwards). Pretty solid hospitality for someone who was only staying at their sister property (see if that happened ever happened at a full star hotel that was full the day you showed up without reservation). In my defense, it did take me almost all afternoon to try to figure out the streets of Marrakech and find the hostel and in the end, I ended up having to pay a "helpful" local $1 to take me/walk me to the hostel since everyone else either did not know the Derb name or pointed me to a general direction towards Riad Zitoune Jdid (the directions on the website are understandable after you have in Marrakech few days, but not so clear when it is your first time to Morocco).

Back to the sister property that I stayed at. Amenity wise, it is akin to a standard clean and comfortable hostel found almost everywhere else in the world with a very nice rooftop. And while I have heard other riads/hostels may even have pools, I would trade that all for what this hostel had plenty of which was 1) some of the most openminded and interesting hostelers I have met in my travels and 2) the hospitality to actively try to encourage us to interact with each other by introducing us to each other or providing endless supplies of mint tea or shisha gratis.

Simply put, this was hosteling at its best and for some, the essence of travel - because well at least for me, what I find most special about seeing a place and being on the road is the friendliness of the locals/hosts and the fellowship among fellow travelers. If I don't want to share a room or shower with others, if I want a king or queen sized bed, those comforts can be found when returning home, but while here on the road/in a foreign land, what was being made were memories to last a lifetime with people from all around the world.

And so for those reading this, if whether the rooms are separate or the shower is this or that matter, pay more and stay at five star hotel in Marrakech. Or there are many countries which have fine amenities. But for me, 85 dirham per night was a pretty low price to pay for something that in many ways is priceless.

Would I come back? As a way of background, I would like to say that even with being in a foreign land and in Africa for the first time, I ended up staying more time in the hostel than out and about in Marrakech. Someone I met from France said that he started out wanting to go spend 14 days seeing all of Morocco, and ended up spending all his time at this hostel. And I mean this in a way that says more about the hostel than about anything about Marrakech, Morocco, or Africa. With a welcoming host and wonderful fellow hosteler, what could be better than chatting the night away on the roof with alcohol you purchased at a supermarket or passing around the iPad that they provided for free for internet access?

So to answer the question of returning, of course. As I settle back home and look at the pictures of all the places I've been, as good as it is to have the memories flood back, what is even better is the burning desire to go make more even if time has passed or the people may be new. So as long as Hostel Riad Marrakech retains that special touch, it will be my place in Marrakech and Morocco to make mine.

Room Tip: If you find the rooms to be hot one night, then ask to sleep on the roof. Or if you want to save mo...
1 Thank zeradan
auckland
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hostel is truly amazing, in my top two hostels I visited in my 3 month trip around Europe. The staff are so friendly and helpful, always ready to help you organise activities, make tea or shisha or help you in anyway they can. The breakfast is amazing- cooked fresh for you when you waked up. Ali is so friendly and there is a chameleon and 3 turtles roaming around the lounge which is so cool!

The hostel has such a cool vibe and seems to attract the friendliest travellers I met my whole trip. Definitely recommend this place if you are travelling alone you are gaurenteed to make friends the minute you arrive. It is such a cool place to chill out, full of couches and an amazing rooftop terrace. There is also a movie room and it was so nice to lie back and watch t.v or a movie just like being at home.

This hostel truely is a home away from home. I would recommend to anyone even my parents!

AMAZING.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zoe W
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The 3 boys need to know when and what to joke about, people were often asking very serious questions and they would make jokes about these questions & this put people, especially women travelling alone, in a vulnerable situation. They would also joke about people not having a reservation there when in fact they did. The 3 boys are very unprofessional and need to behave like adults when it comes to the running of the hostel. I witnessed one of the boys - not Ali- trying to sell a tour to two women for 50drm each more than the actual price. He even pretended to call the tour group and he made out they were giving them a special deal for the correct price. We went on the same tour with these two women the following day and they confirmed all I had witnessed - this behaviour is theft and harassment and it is the type of behaviour we had to contend with a lot in the streets of Morocco but I would have expected a more honest approach from Hostel hosts. The hosts also rent out all the terrace areas to unregistered guests, so not only are the registered/full paying guests not able to use all the facilities available to them but when it comes to breakfast there are too many people to be seated in the lounge area, it took the boy 30 minutes to serve us breakfast every morning & all he needed to do was heat the pastries, the cleaning ladies had hand made the day before, and make a pot of tea. There was one morning where I counted 50 people waiting for breakfast & this doesn't include all the people I did not see. This also made it very dangerous to stay here if there was a fire etc it would have been very difficult to get all the guests out & plus they are unaware if everyone was accounted for. The time also changed & they did not let anyone know about this. This made people miss breakfast and also their tours and booked transportation. They also told 3 people on our tour the wrong time for the pick up of the tour & this made the tour run an hour late & the tour guide was very unhappy about this. There are no photos of the rooms on the web site this is because the dorms are very cramped & crowded - peoples feet are in peoples faces and there are only two bathrooms to serve all these guests. The bathrooms in all the rooms are dark and damp. So you can't see if they are clean or not. The living area was clean. I wanted to go on a tour so I asked the host about it & if I could book it, he said I only need to book it the day before I want to go. However, this did not work out as he was not working on this day & the other guy refused to book it for me as he said he did not know how, this made us go on our tour a day late. They also do not know how to use the washing machine or even show us how to use it. The cleaning lady had a day off so again we had to wait two days before we could do this - too bad if we had to leave and we could not get this done. This shows that the facilities & services on offer are not always available. When things went wrong the boys did not care, they just shrugged it off and would say something like ' don't worry about it just relax, would you like some tea'. These boys need to learn how to run a business it takes more than making jokes and serving tea to have a well run hostel. Due to their attitude I felt unsafe in this hostel as the door would just be left open & anyone could come and go as they pleased. I would not recommend any one stay here. We also got major food poisoning from the restaurant at the waterfall so if you go on this tour take your own lunch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple