“Perfect start to our holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel & Spa Riad Dar Sara

You added Hotel & Spa Riad Dar Sara to your Saves list
Hotel & Spa Riad Dar Sara
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Derb Arset Awzel | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #138 of 490 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect start to our holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

After reading some of the past reviews on Tripadvisor on my way to the airport I was nervous as to what we were about to walk into. But as soon as the doors were opened we were welcomed with a smile and warm hospitality.
The rooms were great, lacking slightly in noise privacy, but it is not a busy place so this didnt really effect us. The roof top was a perfect place to go relax both day and night.
The only things I could fault was the location... But once you know where you are it is nice walk into the center, I would advise to either get the airport pick up service or make sure you get a trustworthy person to show you to the door. We had our taxi driver call ahead and someone was sent to show us where to go.
Catch the #19 bus from the airport, will be much cheaper and drops u not far from Dar Sara. (I would still advise to take a taxi if it is your first time)
Dont miss your breakfast each morning. Perfect way to start your day.
Relax
Enjoy
Embrace :) Morocco is an amazing country I am so happy to have been able to experience!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

This was our final stop out of 8 Riads/Hotels in Morocco and whilst not the worst place we stayed in, it came close. This was supposed to be a little treat at the end, before heading home. The Riad is a lovelly old building with two fine courtyards open to the sky. It is a tranquil place (15 minutes walk from El Fina) with a pleasant roof top terrace. Having read the previous reviews once we arrived, I can agree with most of the negative ones and can only assume those that have rated 4 or 5 stars have low expectations. I don't want to write an exhaustive list of problems (I can confirm some of the previous ones though). One pair of sockets, one lamp and one of the lights in the dark bathroom didn't work. The electricity in a few rooms fused on our first night and we were given candles. The lights did come back on later. The management seems to be to blame. Whilst there were 3 of us staying in one room, when we arrived for breakfast it was a challenge to try and get breakfast for 3. Portion control seemed to be at work and bread and jam etc, were under tight control. We ended up raiding another table for another place setting and did the rounds trying to find more bread, jam etc. From previous reviews there still seems to be a lack of a vacuum cleaner and shaking the rugs into the central courtyards would not be a good idea. A lovely old Riad where the staff need a little more attention to detail (friendly? helpful? replace bulbs? clean?) and offer a service commensurate surroundings.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank CaptainZag
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

We started our Marrekech trip here and organised it through Marrekech riads in advance, it was very tranquil and beautiful in the middle of the bustling old city (Medina) its about a 15min walk to main square. We arrived late at night and were served fresh orange juice and morrocan style pastries - we assumed the orange juice had been freshly squeezed from the orange tree in the central courtyard. The rooms were dark but clean and fully air conditioned. Breakfast the next day was lovely, fresh juices, jams and roti breads. Next we had organised a cookery course through Marrekech riads and were taught how to cook a tagine by an old Morrocan lady - they even provided a translator - we helped where we could and finally got to eat our gorgeous cooking for lunch. Highly recommened and very helpful.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

This place is a disaster – or was for us! It is certainly not a hotel in which to end a long trip and leave with a positive experience with riads. The place is dark, dirty, depressing and totally without service and hospitality. We seriously considered moving out the day we arrived. In the end we decided to be flexible – and stay.

Some examples. Dirty carpet in room. Shower not cleaned. Safe that doesn’t work. Dark even for a riad. One tiny bar of soap. Almost impossible to get in and out of bed except by crawling to the foot of the bed. Sagging mattress. No one around to provide even minimal service – it is as if we were staying in a deserted house. Dirty covers left on the poolside lounge chairs after used by others. The central area fountain is dry and uninviting. Worst breakfast on the trip – meager. When we asked for more than two small pieces of cheese we were met with great annoyance. We can go on and on – but you get the idea. And when you compare this dismal place with the super experiences we had at other riads and hotels during our almost three weeks in Morocco – it makes this place seem even worse. PS. WE TOOK A SHOWER TO FIND OUT AFTER USING THEM THAT THE DIRTY TOWELS THAT WE USED THE DAY BEFORE AND LEFT ON THE FLOOR WERE PICKED UP, FOLDED AND PRESENTED AS CLEAN.

Room Tip: We were in one of the best rooms in the riad.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nbeinhac
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

The rooms were clean and quiet with good AC but small and plain compared to other riads that we stayed in. Breakfast was typical for the country.The central square was about a 15 minute walk.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swelgus
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I really appreciated the somewhat spare decor here--a beautiful place to rest after being out all day looking at beautifully (over)decorated trinkets and buildings. The restoration sensibility is great (don't make anything too flashy), and my room was very comfortable.

I noticed in the review just behind mine that they complained about being put in the adjoining "servants" house. I was here one night (it's called Dar Sara Srira), and I actually preferred it, as the rooms are much more private--they're all one flight up, with their own private terrace area, rather than opening right onto the public courtyard. My room the next night in Dar Sara proper was a tiny bit bigger, but I had to keep all the windows shut for privacy, and this was a bit unfortunate. (But there are also upstairs rooms at Dar Sara, and these are nice as well.)

The pool at Dar Sara is small but great to look at, though it's just off the dining room and I didn't want to be taking a dip while people were eating. But that didn't seem to stop other folks. For my money, I was much happier over in Dar Sara Srira and Dar Baraka (I did a lot of hopping around!), because I wasn't paying for the pool I didn't use.

Also, I found the breakfast quite nice--probably the best of all the hotels I stayed at on my two-and-a-half-week trip. Every day there was a different fresh juice, and the various Moroccan breads were all very nicely prepared.

It's true that the staff are not springing up to greet you and help with things--most of the time, they're completely out of sight, so you feel like the house is all yours. And English is not top on the fluency list. But I was always able to find someone when I had a question.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank zlo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

This riad has beautiful, almost honeymoon caliber rooms, but that's really the only positive. When we arrived, there was no check in process and no one seemed to know we were coming. We paid for a room in the Riad Dar Sara, but we were placed in the much lower quality "servants" house behind it. I complained to the manager who tried to unsuccessfully convince me there was no difference. Customer care is non existent from the management. But the ladies who clean the rooms are amazingly wonderful. Too bad they don't manage the place. The food was basic bread and juice, and grnerally underwhelming. The breakfast was just enough to sustain you, but its bland. I would not recommend this Riad if you seek a vacation experience. It was just a decent place to sleep, nothing more.

• Stayed May 2011