On strong recommendation and based on the reviews we read on Tripadvisor it was with great anticipation we looked forward to our dinner at Lotus Privilege with our friends on the last night of our stay in Marrakech.
However the night was a disaster and ended up with a confrontation with the restaurant manager the next morning.
1. We were told we would be picked up at 7:30 and escorted to the restaurant. By 8:00 and only because our Dar called them again were we picked up. We were actually seated at our table at 08:30.
2. Although we were the first diners at the restaurant the other diners were shown to their table, provided with drinks are were served their food ahead of us.
3. We were led to believe we would have our own tented private dining area which did not materialise.
4. We were in a large vaulted interior room to the side of the Riad. Which was very cold 4-5 degrees celcius. No effort had been made to warm the room beforehand. And the staff rolled in a patio heater which they only managed to ignite after about 2 hours. Of course whilst they were fiddling with the patio heater they were not paying attention to the diners. And our party were freezing cold - we had to keep our coats on throughout.
5. The food was patchy. The date and quail tagine was good and conspicuous since the other dishes were average to poor. The canapes were on stale bread, the vegetable couscous re-used the vegetables from the earlier salad course. We had eaten consistently better cooked meals at every other venue in Marrkech that we dined at. The quality was in no way commensurate with the prices that we were being charged.
We debated whether to just leave and find somewhere else. However by that time it was nearly 9PM and we didn't want to face trawling around to try and find somewhere else. We tried to make the best of the evening as much as we could. At the end of the evening we raised our issues with the staff and asked them to consider adjusting the bill to reflect our poor experience. The manager was unavailable and their response was 'this is your lucky night' you can just go. We felt we could not just go without paying anything so we paid 1000 Dirham out of 2710 Dirham as a token to cover their costs.
The next morning at our Dar we came downstairs from breakfast to find the Manager of the restaurant (who had been absent the night before) waiting in the courtyard. We anticipated that he might be offering an apology however to the contrary he was demanding payment of the balance. We were disturbed that he had come to our Dar and dismayed that there was no sign of contrition or apology.
This was upsetting to our group and it was only down to the intervention of the staff at the Dar who escorted him off the premises that the situation was defused.
Our party took strong exception to being pursued by the manager the next morning and that along with our poor experience the evening before has led to this review. If I could give Zero I would.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.