“This hotel made me love Marrakech”

Sofitel Marrakech Palais Imperial
Ranked #116 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
“This hotel made me love Marrakech”
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed 10 nights in the Sofitel Marrakech and I am more than pleased.

First of all the staff is very friendly, helpful and efficient, guest relation personnel are always attentive and check on the guest if they have any issue and how well they enjoy the stay

Location of the hotel is excellent as its 10 min walk from the medina and Jama El Fna square yes it's area is very modern and elegant

Facilities are great specially the two big swimming pools in the beautiful gardens

Breakfast is really good with big buffet with so many things to choose from

It was my first trip to Marrakech and part why I love the city now is this hotel

1 Thank ABSI-G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We had a slight issue with our room when we first arrived, but the General Manager Hamed and his team did all that they could to resolve the issue which they accomplished and I can now see that Sofitel Marrakech is worthy of all of the great reviews that it gets.
There are some excellent staff from Fatima who serviced our room and made a real effort for my wife's birthday to the concierge who booked us into some fantastic restaurants from traditional Moroccan (Palais Solemain) to modern Buddah Bar type restaurants (Bo Zin & Lotus Club).
The team at Sofitel put on a welcome night on Monday night and it was a great way to meet the staff and other guests in a friendly, informal atmosphere. One of the managers Yassin sang a few songs and it is worth going just to hear that; he was excellent!!
The pool staff (particularly Jumal the life guard) were all very helpful and could not do enough to make your stay comfortable.
School boy French is definitely beneficial because many staff and locals do not have a great command of English. We had a fantastic horse and carriage ride who took us to all of the local sights and it was a fabulous experience.

1 Thank PaulyC1966
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Smiley faces every where you go inside the hotel. This morning I had my breakfast in the garden next to restaurant. The sun was as warm as the hospitality I had from Abderrahim and Morad, waiters in the restaurant. After I had the breakfast Abderrahim suggested to prepare vervin tea fresh leaves from the garden. They made my day!!

Worcester, England
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Look this is a really nice hotel, very well located, nicely appointed, a varied offering of different restaurants and bars, The pool area is particular good offering two separate pools and a mix of spaces that break up the area so you don't feel like a bunch of tourists trying to secure your own little bit of territory in a crowded world.

I have eaten here two nights and the food in the Orangey Restaurant like the service has been top notch,

I write this from the external bar of the So nightclub/restaurant having just pointed out on Facebook that my night cap is being nursed as some 'young un's are just going out.

Bedrooms. I am in a very tidy room with views South to the Atlas Mountains. Well appointed and boast the Sofitel 'my bed' with its under duvet which makes for a really comfortable sleep.

I have no problem recommending the hotel, it offers a real quality experience that is probably a lot better value than other brands with more of a North American heritage.

If you come here and you are Anglo Saxon in temperament and I include my American and Canadian cousins you just have to accept the pace of service and attention to detail is different, not wrong but different. So don't always expect staff to fall over to serve you. Test understanding of what you have asked for.... This is true for the whole of Marrakech and try and find a degree of patience - The West End of London or downtown Manhattan this is not. Embrace it and you will have a great time.

Rotterdam
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Its a beautiful hotel but the staff is very amateuristic. I forgot my phone in the gym when I went back, not even 3 minutes later it was gone and the only person there was a crew member. He denied and even started being rude. And I also noticed that they treat Americans and Europeans way better than their own people. My friend is Moroccan and they were very rude to him! I was surprised and I actually felt shame. How idiot but anyway the hotel is cool and theres much to do in the area but dont expect a good treatment in this hotel..

• Stayed June 2012
Worcestershire England
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from Imperial Palace.On arrival our rooms were not good with an unpleasant smell, complained immediately moved to rooms twice the size with private terrace. Staff are great very friendly service can be slow so be prepared. Othman on reception is a star and really helped us during our stay. Khalid on the conceriege desk is a lovely man with great recommendations for eating out. Some people complain about prices in the hotel I only found it expensive around the pool area. Would stay again but did not like Marrakech centre which was dirty luckily the hotel had all we needed

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Pros: Two nice outdoor pools, comfy bed, huge room, extensive breakfast, ideal location away from the "mayhem" of the markets but still within walkable distance, staff are great with kids (not that we had any with us), when I got ill a doctor was called to my room within 30mins
Cons: Drinks were stupidly expensive, no "adult only" pool area, not really much of a view (despite paying out for "mountain view"), shower pressure/temperature a little unpredictable

If you've always wanted to visit Marrakech, or the wider realms of the desert, then a lot of the centrally based hotels - while lovely from what I've seen - just can't match up to the Sofitel in terms of location or grandeur.
The room we had was the size of my London two bed flat. It was massive, more like two rooms than one. The bed was comfy, everything was clean, the balcony was lovely, and the only minor blip I can almost moan about - and this is at a push - is that the shower temperature occassionally drifted from hot to cold unexpectedly. Hardly something to call the police about.
The swimming pools, too, are both huge - far larger than what you'll find elsewhere nearby except, possibly, in the northern "golfers paradise" part of the town. For my money, though, that's just too far away. This Sofitel, on the other hand, is situated far enough away from the madness of the market square for it to feel chilled out and relaxed, but close enough to easily walk in and experience some of the other sights and culture. Or use it as a base to get collected by a tour guide and go explore the mountains or elsewhere.
It was after eating something dodgy, however (nothing to do with this hotel though, it was something from outside), that I got ill. The staff were excellent in calling a doctor to my room. He was here within 30mins, checked for apendicitis, confirmed my gastroentiritis, gave me a bunch of pills to put it right and dull the pain and all that cost a mere £40.
The only reason this property doesn't score five stars is down to the other prices. The rooms are expensive, but I accept that. I'm talking around £7 for a small bottle of beer which, considering this is Marrakech in Africa that we're talking about, is just grossly overpriced. The staff are a little slow in service too.
I like to lounge about on holiday and have a few bottles, but after the two of us had drunk about four each (that's only two pints) we had a bill that was around £55. More than it cost to put my health right as outlined above.
Very few bad words to say about this one though. If you want European comfort in Marrakech then the Sofitel, unlike many other places I've seen and heard about, is the place to be.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple