“Perfect relaxing hideaway in Marrakech”
Review of Le Riad Berbere

Le Riad Berbere
Ranked #88 of 1,160 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here for four nights during our honeymoon and absolutely loved the Riad Berbere! It is an oasis of calm and quiet in the middle of bustling Marrakech. The rooms are spacious and beautiful, with dried flowers and baskets of lavender creating a lovely scent. There is a beautiful courtyard with banana trees, a roof terrace with great views and a lounge with comfortable seats and fireplaces. The breakfast is plentiful and delicious! Ingrid is a wonderful, warm and helpful host and was always ready to support us when we needed directions, transport, bookings or general advice on exploring Marrakech. Without her we would have been completely lost! It is essential to arrange transport to the Riad in advance as it is very well hidden in the medina (also a car cannot reach the Riad, so the luggage will at some point be transferred onto a hand-drawn trolley). The service is excellent and we also warmly recommend the food served in the evenings. It was just delicious. We would very happily stay here again and will keep very good memories of our holiday!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful but we loved the balcony room. Really romantic!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Le Riad Berbere

Reviewed April 7, 2013

we four girls stayed here for three night.
The Riad is with great location, very clean, nicely decorated.
The manager Ingrid is very helpfule and informative. She showed us the way to the Squareand walked us back the Riad!
Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We arrived in Marrakech after 37 hours of travel from Australia, tired, jet-lagged and hungry. We had arranged for a pick-up at the airport and it was a good move. We would never have found the place under our own steam. We were greeted by the manager, Ingrid who was charming and helpful and is the mainstay of this riad.

The riad is built around a courtyard filled with banana, olive and orange plants. The whole place was a feast for sore eyes. We had anticipated our hunger on arrival and had agreed with Ingrid's suggestion that we eat at the riad. The meal, cooked by one of the riad staff was excellent. We ate at the riad on 2 of our 4 nights in Marrakech, and the meals there were by far the best we experienced in Marrakech.

The room we had booked was the basic level room and it looked great. High ceilings, very clean and it opened onto the courtyard. However in practical terms there were a few issues. It was a long room and quite narrow. The huge bed took up one end completely and to get into it we had to climb over the bed and tuck ourselves in. There was no space to walk around the bed at all. There was limited cupboard/hanging space and there were no chairs. There was a low upholstered bench to sit on but this wasn't comfortable for us at all. There were ordinary chairs and a table on the patio outside the room , but the weather when we were there was just a bit nippy for outdoor relaxation. Given the architecture of riads one couldn't complain too much.

After two nights were we offered a free upgrade to a couple of rooms on higher floors. We didn't take the offer up because the bathroom was a set of stairs away from the sleeping area. However the gesture was appreciated.

Breakfasts varied each morning, and some mornings were definitely better than others. Coffee, tea, various types of bread, spreads, fruit and eggs (on request) were more than adequate. When the weather was warm it was delivered to the rooftop terrace and this was very pleasant.When it was cool or wet we ate breakfast in the lounge/dining room - a room in which the ceiling had been beautifully restored. Unfortunately, the seats provided in this room were once again very low, and quite uncomfortable. On the 2 nights we ate there a table was brought down from the rooftop terrace for us, and other guests looked on with envy. A rethink of the seating in that area might be a good move.

The riad provided a free afternoon tea on most afternoons and Ingrid assisted us whenever we needed help, going so far as to walk with us into the souks on our first morning there to make sure we could find our way back. All in all, a great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you can deal with 15 stairs from bed to bath, the upstairs rooms are definitely more attractive.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank In60s
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Incredibly quiet and spotlessly clean in the middle of the medina. Very Nice rooms and nice common areas. Great breakfast. The manager has been very supportive (and you need it to find your route and park in the medina).

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank micgov
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed four nights with my boyfriend at the fabulous Riad Berbere and can truly recommend this gem. It took me quite a while to browse through all the different Riads in Marrakech online until I made my choice and I was highly satisfied with my choice in the end.
Ingrid, the manager, is amazing. She organized an airport transfer that took us to the Riad and back although we had a very early flight. She gave us a very warm welcome with tea in the beautiful patio. After we had a look at our wonderful suite she guided us all the way to the nightmarket which was super helpful, especially when you are in Marrakech for the first time.
The Riad itself is an oasis of peace and is the perfect place to relax after a busy day on the streets. I would recommend to book one of the upstairs rooms (terrace, balcony or suite). The suite has a small private patio which is connected with the office and kitchen which might be noisy for people who wake up easily. We did not mind at all. The only thing that was missing was a hair dryer which was no problem because the moroccan sun did the job.
Breakfast on the terrace feels like eating in heaven and the breakfast itself varied every day. It was delicious and served by the very friendly ladies that do the house keeping. It's served from 8:30 the whole day which is perfect for people who like to sleep longer.
We once had dinner at the Riad which was delicious as well.
The Riad is located a little north of the touristy area and we felt very save there.
If I ever come back to Marrakech I will stay at Riad Berbere again - it's simply cosy, clean, quiet and beautiful.

Room Tip: The terrace room seems to be the best choice if you want a bright room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank corrinska
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This place is really great. I had a garden-level room, which was very clean and comfortable, while keeping with the architectural style and decor of these old Riads. The main living area is fantastic. Very well appointed and cozy, with a roaring fire that was a pleasure to sit by. The breakfast is ok by European standards, but if you're like me and like your eggs in the morning, you'll go hungry. They do serve different types of breads and crepes, yogurt, fruit - and they're all very good.

Marrakesh is simply insane - a mix of people and things, colors and scents, motorcycles, touts, peddlers, animals, filth - and this was the perfect spot to explore it. I could only take so much of the Medina at a time, so it was great to have this place to go back and retreat throughout the day. In fact, in all honesty, my experience in Marrakesh would have been pretty bad if I had not had this place to escape when I needed to be left alone (if you've been to any of the Medinas in Morocco, you know what I mean...).

I was lucky to have been among great European guests who made my stay a true pleasure. The staff is very nice and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in four Riads in Marrakesh and this was definitely our favorite.

Firstly the team are amazing and Ingrid the Riad Manager is highly customer focused. She met us and guided us into the Riad, walked us to a restaurant for dinner and organized for someone to guide us through the maze on our return. On the day we left my husband's back went out and Ingrid offered to take me shopping as I only had a few hours. I decided to stay on site and have a wonderful, relaxing massage.

The Riad is chic and I loved the design done by the architect owner who also designed 100s of Riads in the area. We had an upstairs room and the bed was super comfortable, the space was big and full of light (something that is uncommon in most Riads, it was often quite dark so we had to take extra care when we were leaving to make sure we had everything). Off to the side there was a sitting room and outdoor area. The main communal seating area is red and white with beautiful cedar painted ceilings often only found in the homes of royalty.

We also enjoyed that the courtyard was open as all other Riads had roofs. And I especially loved Lulu, a sweet rescue cat who will sit on your lap if you love animals or stay well out of your way if you don't.

Breakfast was delicious and once again the service impeccable. I'd wished we'd organized dinner in advance as I imagine it would have been superb too!

You can obtain wireless Internet access if you sit in the courtyard and it's a great speed.

Thanks to the entire team for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask Ingrid to book one of the top restaurants for you.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple