“Sara and Roger”
Review of Riad Chi-Chi

Riad Chi-Chi
Ranked #296 of 1,185 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 29, 2012

A lovely bolthole away from the hustle of the Medina with a friendly greeting from Yvonne the manager, helpful staff and delicious meals. We too were met at the airport as promised and paid the agreed fare to the taxi driver and to the porter who saw us along the last bit (though he tried to get more out of us!). Nice to cool down in the plunge pool and warm up again on the roof terrace. Useful info from Yvonne about places to see, in particular we enjoyed the Photography Museum and the "Jardin Majorelle", Yves St Laurent's garden in the Ville Nouvelle. You need to be aware that Chi Chi is located in very much the working end of the Medina - the posher touristy nick-nacks are further in towards the Djema el F'Na.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have read the last 5 - 6 reviews and couldn't agree more with all the write ups below. In particular I want to say how much I endorse how friendly and helpful the staff were, from Yvonne the manager with all her top tips on where to go and a briefing on the medina and new town with the aid of a map; to Salleh taking and collecting us from our restaurant to prevent us getting lost; to Kahdijeh [sic?] taking me shopping to help me get a good price in the souks, to Nadia keeping everything so spic and span. Everyone went beyond the call of duty and it was just lovely to meet such kind people who really sincerely do care about your enjoyment and the comfort of your stay. Thank you everyone at Chi Chi!

Room Tip: We were in Ivory - I got a glimpse in the smaller plum and I would think the larger is worth the mon...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I'd spent quite a while researching riads for my holiday to Marrakech and couldn't have been happier to end up staying at Riad Chi-Chi.

The British Riad Manager, Yvonne, lives on-site and was superb at replying very quickly and thoroughly to my numerous emails before my stay which made planning my, relatively, long trip a lot easier. Yvonne also made a number of excellent reccomendations of what to do, see and where to eat when i arrived.

I'd arranged an airport transfer via the hotel (currently 150dh) and this was fine even though my flight was delayed and immigration took ages to clear.

The decor of the riad is simple, clean and stylish, mostly in white, and everything is of good quality. There's a roof terrace with some sunloungers, a central courtyard for breakfast and a seating area on the 1st floor with sofas. WiFi works in communal areas and is reliable. It's quieter then I thought it would be given its centrql Medina location. I was, kindly, also able to use the riad's own PC when it was free too.

I stayed in a spacious double room, on the 1st floor, called Ivory, for several nights. The room was great - lovely soft towels, quality white bedlinen and good mattress, very good aircon with a sleep function so you don't wake up too cold in the night, good pressure from the shower and more than enough plug sockets.

If you are staying anywhere in the Medina, or; for that matter anywhere in Morocco (!), then it is worth remembering that mosques do "call to prayer" at sunrise (and at 4 other times during the day) so, as a light sleeper, I opted for earplugs after the first night. Fine after that...

Breakfast is served over a decent timeframe and sets you up nicely til lunch. It's likely that you'll be served your breakfast by Salleh, the riad's charming night guardian. Salleh is exceptionally kind hearted and offered (and did immediately - thank you Salleh!) to come to my rescue a couple of times when I forgot how to get back at night.

It's exactly that sort of superb, caring and personal touch that means I wouldn't consider going anywhere else if i returned to Marrakech.

Room Tip: Ivory was fine for a mutiple night stay and was on 1st floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in August. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. We'd arranged in advance with the Riad for a taxi to collect us from the airport, which it did. Someone from the Riad then met us at the car and took us to the Riad- maybe a minutes walk (the streets in Marrakech are small and cars can't drive down many of them).

Throughout the stay staff were on hand to give advice about where to go, what to do etc. and most importantly, how to get there.

The room was clean and a good size. There was a good air conditioning unit in the room which cooled it (much needed when its 40 degrees outside!). We were on the ground floor - out onto the courtyard- but didn't have any problem with noise etc- it was very quiet.

Breakfast was served each morning in the courtyard- very promptly and very well made. There is a roof-top with sunbeds and also a shaded area which was good to sit and relax in late evening. You get a good view across the city, and its great to sit and listen to the call to prayer from the various surrounding mosques.

We had a mobile phone from the Riad in case we got lost- but thankfully didn't need it.

We also arranged an excursion to the Atlas mountains- and were taken to the taxi by a member of staff at the Riad which saved us getting lost.

Overall the stay was calm, relaxing, and the staff were friendly and helpful. We'd recommend this Riad to others.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Recently my daughter and I spent 4 days in Marrakech and considered ourselves lucky to have found out about the Riad Chi Chi. The location is perfect, within a 5 min. walk to the souks and main square. Even though its in the middle of the hustle of Marrakech, the Riad was quiet and offered a refreshing break after a day of sightseeing and shopping. The white color of the Riad was calming and we found it to be very clean. The first night we had dinner there and found it to be delicious. The innkeeper Yvonne was very helpful and always ready to suggest places to not miss. Breakfast was fresh/healthy and a great way to start the day. Our room had much needed air conditioning since it was August, and although the outside temps got to be over 100 degrees our room was comfortable at night. We also enjoyed the organic/natural soaps and shower gels that were provided. All in all I would recommend this Riad to my friends, and I would stay again. I am 54 and my daughter is 23, we have traveled extensively throughout Europe/USA and are somewhat picky. This Riad fit all our needs-highly recommend

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Staying in Riad Chi Chi was, without doubt, one of the most pleasant experiences I have ever had. It's clean, it's calm, it's cool - it is the ideal haven to come back to after spending the day in the madness of Marrakech. Our room (Ivory) was fantastic and the bathroom was beautiful. And the food! The food was, again, beautiful: the two dinners we had were exquisite and breakfast each morning was a delight. Yvonne was a great help and more than willing to book restaurants and give us helpful pointers; and Saleh was wonderful to have around: charming and a wonderful host. I can only say thank you to everyone at Riad Chi-Chi for making our stay one which we will never forget.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Riad Chi Chi is a beautifully appointed minimalist riad with thorough service, whilst making you feel relaxed and 'at home'. It's coffee table good looks in soothing whites and chalky greys add to its air of calm. The food is simple, and delicious, and an evening meal is thoroughly recommended, especially if you don't want to get lost on your first night. The roof terrace at night with its colourful hues and lantern cast shadows above it all is not to be missed. a fantastic place to reflect upon your day's adventures, and listen to the call to prayer. The only downside is the rabbit warren of streets that have to be negotiated to arrive at its door. Thanks so much Yvonne and Saleh, and all the staff.

Room Tip: Ivory room has a star dome above the shower that feels decadent!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple