Though, this hotel makes an excellent first impression, (it is sexy, modern and chic), staying here is an exercise in exasperation.
The service is worse than any high-end hotel we’ve ever encountered and an inordinate number of things don’t work properly. Management is responsible for virtually all of the problems. I discussed the following problems with both the Manager and the Director of Operations. Both of them said they were aware of all the problems I have listed below, but they offered little more than silence as solutions. The Manager said this was the first hotel he had ever managed.
A List of Some Problems:
1) Noise. Though the staff will tell you that you won’t hear Pascha, they fail to mention that the lounge, Rose Bar, is only a few meters away with a DJ volume that rivals Pascha. I don’t know if you can hear Pascha, but you most certainly will hear Rose Bar.
2) Poor service. We asked for help getting a dinner reservation at a fine Moroccan restaurant. The process took 1 ½ hours (they sent us to the La Mamounia Hotel). This may be hard to comprehend until you realize there is no concierge and that the only person who can help is the desk receptionist (I asked to speak to the Director of Operations who said he had no suggestions for a Moroccan restaurant, since he had only been there three weeks). We felt as if we were the first person to ask about dinner recommendations or reservations.
3) Staff inexperience. The staff is mostly under 21 and none appear to have had hotel experience. The impression is that they are trying to save money by hiring staff they can pay low wages to.
4) Trying to communicate in English is extremely difficult. My French is poor, but their English is equally poor. Communication was a chore. (The night desk person spoke English well). It is incomprehensible why you would staff a high end hotel with people who aren’t comfortable speaking English.
5) Operation problems:
a) The pool’s heater had been broken for weeks when we were there and the manager had no idea when it would be fixed.
b) The internet only worked intermittently. The manager said that was a problem for the IT contractor.
c) Paying for the room with a credit card was an ordeal since their system didn’t work. I asked when someone had last paid with a credit card and was told three weeks before.
We suggest you stay at La Mamounia, a truly first rate hotel now that the renovation is complete. Focus on reader comments made AFTER the renovation completed in 11/09.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Crystal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.