“Great location but staff issues”

Hotel Le Grand Imilchil
Ranked #430 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel should only be considered for a one or two-night stay before trekking the Atlas Mountains. It has a great location, you can walk almost everywhere including Jemaa el-Fna, but the rooms aren't that great and the real problem is the staff, unfortunately. The rooms are cleaned in numerous steps (first they clean, then they leave, then they go get one towel, they leave again, in a total of five times where your room is sometimes open and unnatended). Our breakfast was OK but, yeah, no second OJ...

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place would only be given 3*s if it was reviewed by Stevie Wonder. I was part of an organised trek across Morocco with this hotel being the Marrakesh base. First impressions were that of a rather basic, badly decorated lobby with a bored looking front of house chap sat behind the desk. We were given the keys to a first floor twin room which can best be described as an unfortunate mixture of my grandmother's house and Del Boy Trotter's flat. The room smelly of damp and horse piss, and the beds had itchy mismatched flowery blankets on them, ideal for the 53 degree climate. I was delighted to spot a 1970's phone, however to my dismay this functioned purely as a toy and not as a phone. It was obviously considered an authentic ornament to brighten up the room. We were amused to see that in the corridor there was a glass cabinet marked “Fire extinguisher”, however this contained bottles of dirty water and no extinguisher! Nice one Health and Safety.
The bathroom was appalling. We had to ask for towels, loo roll and soap. All of which caused the grumpy reception man to act as though we had asked for truffles or diamonds. My other complaint was that of the flickering strip light above the mirror. I reported it to two different members of staff, explaining that whilst the disco shower was fun to start with, I was mildly concerned about becoming epileptic. They told me that “no-one is here to fix it”. It materialised that despite there being 4 male staff members standing around admiring the ceiling, none of them were capable of changing a strip light. I offered to change it myself, but they refused.
Having stomped back upstairs to my disco for one, I discovered a cockroach scuttling across the dressing table! I soon realised that the men downstairs were for decorative purposes only and would not be of much help, although one was comically dressed as an army sergeant, which cheered me up momentarily.
Breakfast was by all accounts ridiculously rationed and dull. One extremely over-cooked hard-boiled egg, one cheese triangle and a bread roll. Due to being yeast intolerant I asked if I could have another glass of orange juice, considering that I couldn’t eat the bread, and the surly waiter looked as if I had requested a BBQ’d kitten and told me that I would have to pay 20 dirhams for the OJ. I fed my egg and cheese triangle to the rather lovely cat family that were playing in the trees outside (the only positive element to this hotel), all the time being watched by the breakfast police.
The pool is great if you do not value the 7 layers of skin you were born with and quite fancy a free chemical peel. At this point I could not wait to start the trek and escape, but later found out that we would stay a total of 5 nights here throughout the journey. Splendid.
I would only recommend this hotel to people that I really do not like. There are plenty more hotels around this area, I suggest you try those instead.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Izzi_Newman1986
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here pie and post your, as others.....first night was not good, given a room with no view and a mouldy bathroom ceiling.
Breakfast next morning was served by grumpy guy who want keen on offering second chip of coffee.
On return trip, was given a much nicer room, both a bath and shower included, shower was hot and powerful.
Nice view over pool, WiFi extended up to room on first floor, so that was a bonus.
The pool was nice, warm even at 6.45 in the morning.
Breakfast was a while different affair too...helpful smiley service.
There may be complaints about it being quite basic, but it's more than I would help myself to at a buffet.

Second impressions worth it this time.

Quick walk to medina too and supermarket round the corner.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed here last week on 2 occasions, with my 2 children, at the beginning and end of a trekking holiday. I don’t know the room rate because we were booked as part of our trip, so can’t comment on it from a value for money point of view -but suspect if I was able to, value for money would not rate highly. But beds and a pool, after the mountains, were welcome.

It is very close to a real supermarket -yay! –a Carrefour –open good hours so cheap water, snacks, toiletries etc for holiday makers are easily available. Also two banks, with ATMs, are close by.

It's about 20 minutes walk from the medina.

Both rooms were a bit scruffy. When the hot taps were turned on (shower/bath, basin, bidet) the water ran orange for a short time -scary. The aircon struggled. The hot water failed completely in the late afternoon, presumably when everyone wanted a shower (although occupancy was low).

The public spaces –corridors, reception, dining etc were fine, although the overall impression is of tiredness.

The outside space is good, and the pools very good although heavily chlorinated.

The breakfasts were simple but OK. We ate lunch there once, and the quality and cost were fine. Friendly staff although breakfast service was not up to much! Front desk service was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Catzzndogzz
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 3 separate times over the course of our Morocco holiday. Every time there was something wrong. Firstly, people being sent to rooms that were still dirty and not made up. Second visit there was no hot water. Final visit the cleaners stripped the beds and cleaned the room before I was even checked out, feeling like I was rushed out the door. On all visits, the maids would come knocking on everybody's doors between 8.30-9am to see if they could clean the room, one cleaner even walked in on someone while they were still in bed. I find this unacceptable

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The breakfast is tightly rationed and don't dare to ask for more. As I don't eat the boiled egg or cheese triangle I thought I could bargain for some extra orange juice but no dice.

They run a money maker booking taxis as twice the price. A taxi to the airport should be about 70-80 dhr and they will book it for you for 150. My booking was changed by the desk clerk so that he could take 2 taxi fares and put 2 separate bookings into the same clapped out taxi (no rear seat belt) and pocket the additional fare.

The staff vary, some are polite and do their best but they are up against it as other members of staff are surly and unprofessional. The only way they keep going is through the tour companies who must get a good deal as no-one in their right mind would stay here of their own volition.

The maid took my towels without replacing them and I wanted to wash my hair. I asked for towels at the reception and you would think I'd asked for gold. Eventually got a towel and half way through washing the hair, the water stopped so I returned to reception to ask what was going on and the chap at the desk rolled his eyes, turned away and muttered something under his breath to a colleage to the effect of 'not her again'.

The place is a disgrace and tour companies using this hotel are just giving themselves a bad name.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Catherine0072012
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is listed as a 3rd cat. hotel but is really higher. It is located in the most beautiful part of downtown Marrakesh, near many super luxury hotels. Has a beautiful garden, all rooms with balconies. and small pool. Relaxing and quiet with personal attention for rental cars, restaurants, etc. Highly recommended for budget travelers and others who want to be in the center of everything with a garden and pool at a low price with high quality.

Room Tip: Choose room with view over pool.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends