“Good location and great AC.”

Hotel Le Grand Imilchil
Ranked #433 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I ended up staying here 4 nights (2 nights pre-departure of a tour and 2 nights after the tour).
I was a bit nervous after reading other reviews...but actually I was quite impressed.

The Hotel is mid range. I paid 35pund for my room and I was happy.
My first room was on the 6th floor over looking the Pool and I had a balcony which was great for drying clothes. (Second room was on the 4th floor also with a balcony) The mattress when you first lie on it was very hard...but I ended up having a fantastic sleep and woke up with no back pain or pressure point pain. I stayed in 8 other Hotels in Morocco and all the Hotels had similar mattresses. For me they were great.
Both my rooms were clean, and confortable. I did find the locks on the door a bit difficult...so can understand why the previous reviewer had problems.

Breakfast, was a little basic and a bit slow. So I would suggest that you shop at the local supermarket which is a 2 min walk from the hotel. (Go out the reception doors, turn right at the first corner. At the next intersection turn left and the supermarket is just across the road.) Its a good place to buy your water (downstairs).

Staff: I found the housekeeping staff were lovely and they gave me extra loo paper when I asked as you only get a little bit in the rooms.
The door staff were very attentive and so were the reception staff.
However, there was one man who was very rude who sat behind his desk all day and never wanted to get up to help. Other guests also commented in his poor behaviour and he really let the place down.

Medina: The medina is a 10-15 min walk from the Hotel and is quite easy to find. I walked back in the evenings with some other guests and felt quite safe. (Crossing the road is a challenge...I suggest you find a local to cross with as it can be a bit daunting at night).

Train: The train station is close by. I caught the train from Casablanca to Marrakech. Be aware that prices go up after 8pm. A normal fare for a local is around 10-15dirham. I had to pay 50dir after 8pm.
All in all...I was very happy to stay here.

Room Tip: Keep your curtains closed when you leave the room. It will help it keep cool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Katsolo

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a great hotel if you're on a tight budget, nothing at all special. The Breakfast is ok (although you might need to wait if the hotel is busy). Rooms are ok, quite colourful bed covers! but yes the beds are exceptionally hard! Parking is available and seems secure. The pool is nice and well lokked after.
Frequently used by Adventure travel tours i.e Explore, Nomadic.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank rattle2
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I am reporting a problem that occurred a few nights ago. The lock in the bathroom of room 314 did not work and therefore I was locked in there for about 5hours. On top of this incident, the telephone did not work in this critical case of emergency. Therefore I would like to give people a forward warning about the locks. The facilities here are mediocre but the advantages of staying here are the pool, the good location and the people I guess...

Room Tip: Rooms above floor 3 are ideal
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jasper D
Reviewed May 15, 2012 via mobile

Walking into the foyer thought it would be nice hotel - wrong ! Staff were ok at best. The room was ok but the beds were like concrete. The bathroom sink nearly fell off the wall when I lent on it ! Breakfast was basic - bread , juice and tea. We asked to put some items in the refrigerator and it took two staff members to argue in front of us before one agreed to do so ???location was ok just outside the medina about 20 min walk to Jmaa del Fna. Overall pretty awful .

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank kieleAustralia
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The good: location is within walking distance to the new city and the area is relatively safe.
The bad: lackluster service at breakfast (orange juice, coffee and a croissant), poor plumbing in bathrooms where everything gets wet. Internet did not work most of the time.

Room Tip: Go for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shirish18
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was a little under-whelmed with this hotel; it was rather characterless and very noisy at night with dogs barking and loud traffic. Like most hotels, the public areas were better with some lovely seating areas, the rooms were just OK - a little tired.

Breakfast was fine; I didn’t use the pool but it would be very welcome in the summer, albeit noisy as on the main road.

It did feel safe at night, with a ten minute walk to the medina on a main, lit road with a large Carrefour supermarket situated just two mins walk away.

Staff were OK, not wonderful and not awful, but acceptable,

If visiting Marrakech again though, I’d stay elsewhere for a decent night’s sleep and better ambiance.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank English-Rosa
Reviewed February 5, 2012

stayed here for two nights. Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were basic, but very clean. I stayed in two different twin rooms over the two nights, one of them had a dodgy shower (lukewarm water and shower jet not working properly), while the other had perfect shower pressure and temperature. Rooms have reverse cycle units, small tv, balcony, safe in the cupboard, plus extra pillows and blankets. No hairdryer though. I thought the rooms were well insulated from noise, my rooms were off the main street and i heard very little noise from the street or neighbours.
Breakfast was a bread roll, crossiant, tea/coffee and fresh orange juice which was quite adequate. Would have been nie if the crossiant and bread were warm, but it was ok.
Wifi in the lobby area was good.
We also had dinner there, soups, chicken tagine and yogurt for dessert. Not reccomended - while edible, it was not great and i'd suggest going elsewhere for a meal.
We als exchanged money at the hotel as it was a sunday and banks were closed. They charged 50mad commission.
One really bad thing about this hotel was that all the public areas, such as hallways and lobby smelled strongly of diesel. Not sure why and if that is the norm.
In terms of location, only 10 minutes walk to the main square, and in a very safe and clean area.
If you are deciding whether or not to stay here, i would suggest no. Try staying in a riad instead, where it is more homely and authentic.

• Stayed: February 2012