“simply the best”
Review of Dar Nouba

Dar Nouba
Ranked #404 of 1,160 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 29, 2011

one of the most reliable riads in the medina of maracesh.great familly,great hospitality very clean very friendly.go there if you want to have really good times in maracesh.
greetings from greece
from tasos and despina
hope to see you again

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tasos-despina
There are newer reviews for Dar Nouba

Reviewed December 27, 2010

I have never stayed anywhere with such kind and helpful people. This is run by a young couple who are incredibly friendly, Merwan and Gaethane. First of all, Merwan collected us from the airport and he was very easy to find and friendly. On the drive to the riad he told us all sorts of interesting things about Marrakech and his life. When we arrived we had tea together and he explained where we were on a map and tried to help orientate us in the medina. However, we aren't great with navigation and we got hopelessly lost and called for help to figure out how to get home. Merwan actually came and found us! Importantly, my husband got sick- not from anything in any way related to Dar Nouba- and Gaethane called a doctor to make a house call. The doctor arrived within half an hour. Merwan even translated for us when we were with the doctor. Merwan and Gaethane were so friendly and helpful. Lastly, they arranged our taxi back to the airport. I would highly recommend Dar Nouba.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay there, we chose the riad after reading comments from other guests and we liked it a lot. Very warm welcome from the owners, we felt at home immediately. There are only 4 rooms which make the place intimate and quiet.
Our room (suite Sultane) was beautiful and comfortable, nothing luxury (and no TV, which is great !!) but lots of very charming details, with an impressive local-style decoration bathroom.
We had dinner there on the first night, very good. Breakfast is good too (bread + local crepes or "donuts").
If you arrive there at night, it's better to ask for an airport transfer (15€) because the access through the Medina is tricky, taxis cannot park nearby (5 mn walk) and there are no street names, but once you know the way it's easy and safe, well located close to many cafés, the souks etc.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2010

A lot of thought has gone into designing Dar Nouba and a lot of care goes into making guests feel welcome.

We were arriving from inside Morocco and were concerned we wouldn't find the Riad. No problem, says Merwan, telling us to ask our taxi to drop us at a nearby landmark. One quick call and he was there to meet us and walk us to the beautiful Riad.

After a welcome shower, Merwan provided a map and very helpful directions to get to and from Djema El Fna, only a 10-15 min walk. Finding our way within the medina was intimidating and a little difficult, especially at night when the local youth do their best to put you off. It's such a shame that such a beautiful place is so difficult to find! I imagine that this applies to most Riads.

We also ate on our last night and were given a gorgeous tagine, moroccan salads and lovely zingy orange ice cream. Breakfasts were good too.

The Riad itself is stunning. Beautifully and thoughtfully decorated.

One of our favourite things in Morocco was sitting up on the roof terrace, sipping a mint tea.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Very friendly hosts. They took care of us.
Nice clean authentic location at walking distance from El Fna square, souk and Marrakech museum. Great roof terrace for relaxing after a long day site seeing.
We enjoyed a great breakfast and diner at the first evening.
Tip: accept their offer to arrange a taxi from airport. It's not easy to find.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2010

It is a really beautiful place in the hearth of medina. Everything is amazing there: breakfast, dinner, people, rooms, suites and the owners Gaitan and Merwan... Try it. Much better like an simple hotel. There's the real life :-) Thank you...

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I booked this Riad on spec for a 5-night stay in Marrakech. The owner organised a taxi, which is well worth the extra expense - unless you know Marrakech very well you won't find the Riad otherwise. It is not known to locals and there are no signs on the Riad or the streets, in the main. I was given a very warm welcome on arrival and then sat down for dinner with the owners and their family for some wonderfully cooked Morrocan food. I ended up eating dinner there three nights and had two half bottles of wine, for which I was charged 50 euros in total. Given the quality of the food this was very good value. My room (Sultan Suite) was very clean, roomy and atmospheric and the Riad was peaceful. There is a nice roof terrace for when you need a break from the hustle and bustle. The owners are both very helpful and friendly. They make you feel like a family guest, although only he speaks English.

The only thing to be a bit wary of is that the Riad is buried in the maze that is the Northern Medina and slightly off the beaten track. Maps are difficult to follow, as the alleys twist and turn in confusing directions. Once you've figured your way, it's only five-minutes to the start of the souks and fifteen-minute walk to the main square. I found the location quite atmospheric and slightly more authentically Morrocan feeling than areas closer to the main square. However on my first night I tried to find my way to the main square - it was after dark and travelling alone and looking utterly confused I was a prime target for the numerous locals who try to offer to guide you and will want payment (it is common for them to lead you round the houses apparently). One man for no apparent reason became quite aggressive towards me, demanding money even though I'd consistently said no to his offers to guide me and sell me hashish. However in my experience this is always bravado and he did leave me alone when I just ignored him, but it put me a bit on edge for the rest of the night. After a day of getting a bit lost I found my bearings and once I had the confidence of knowing where I was going the locals could tell and generally left me alone. Personally the challenge of finding my way round the medinas and wandering round soaking up the sights was a major attraction to Marrakech. The owner will insist on giving you his mobile number and if you do get completely lost and confused he will come and find you. This is good insurance but personally I thinks it's worth figuring it out yourself. I've read some reviews of Raids in the Northern Medina, suggesting that the area doesn't feel safe after dark. Whilst I can empathise, my understanding is that the risk of actual harm in the Medinas is extremely low. People will try and fleece you out of money and in the rare exception may act a bit aggressively, but I believe violence is rare and you just need to be confident in saying NO. I wouldn't let the location be off-putting, as I think the pros far outway the cons.

As this is a small family-run Riad there is less of a focus on customer service, in the way that I think us British are used to. They are more used to French and other continental guests. The onus is on you to ask for anything you want (.i.e drinks etc) rather than having it all laid out for you. Just overcome the British reserve and they'll accommodate if they can.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo