“Peaceful and beautiful oasis in a hectic city”
Review of Dar Nouba

Dar Nouba
Ranked #398 of 1,170 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2010

A lot of thought has gone into designing Dar Nouba and a lot of care goes into making guests feel welcome.

We were arriving from inside Morocco and were concerned we wouldn't find the Riad. No problem, says Merwan, telling us to ask our taxi to drop us at a nearby landmark. One quick call and he was there to meet us and walk us to the beautiful Riad.

After a welcome shower, Merwan provided a map and very helpful directions to get to and from Djema El Fna, only a 10-15 min walk. Finding our way within the medina was intimidating and a little difficult, especially at night when the local youth do their best to put you off. It's such a shame that such a beautiful place is so difficult to find! I imagine that this applies to most Riads.

We also ate on our last night and were given a gorgeous tagine, moroccan salads and lovely zingy orange ice cream. Breakfasts were good too.

The Riad itself is stunning. Beautifully and thoughtfully decorated.

One of our favourite things in Morocco was sitting up on the roof terrace, sipping a mint tea.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 14, 2010

Very friendly hosts. They took care of us.
Nice clean authentic location at walking distance from El Fna square, souk and Marrakech museum. Great roof terrace for relaxing after a long day site seeing.
We enjoyed a great breakfast and diner at the first evening.
Tip: accept their offer to arrange a taxi from airport. It's not easy to find.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 11, 2010

It is a really beautiful place in the hearth of medina. Everything is amazing there: breakfast, dinner, people, rooms, suites and the owners Gaitan and Merwan... Try it. Much better like an simple hotel. There's the real life :-) Thank you...

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I booked this Riad on spec for a 5-night stay in Marrakech. The owner organised a taxi, which is well worth the extra expense - unless you know Marrakech very well you won't find the Riad otherwise. It is not known to locals and there are no signs on the Riad or the streets, in the main. I was given a very warm welcome on arrival and then sat down for dinner with the owners and their family for some wonderfully cooked Morrocan food. I ended up eating dinner there three nights and had two half bottles of wine, for which I was charged 50 euros in total. Given the quality of the food this was very good value. My room (Sultan Suite) was very clean, roomy and atmospheric and the Riad was peaceful. There is a nice roof terrace for when you need a break from the hustle and bustle. The owners are both very helpful and friendly. They make you feel like a family guest, although only he speaks English.

The only thing to be a bit wary of is that the Riad is buried in the maze that is the Northern Medina and slightly off the beaten track. Maps are difficult to follow, as the alleys twist and turn in confusing directions. Once you've figured your way, it's only five-minutes to the start of the souks and fifteen-minute walk to the main square. I found the location quite atmospheric and slightly more authentically Morrocan feeling than areas closer to the main square. However on my first night I tried to find my way to the main square - it was after dark and travelling alone and looking utterly confused I was a prime target for the numerous locals who try to offer to guide you and will want payment (it is common for them to lead you round the houses apparently). One man for no apparent reason became quite aggressive towards me, demanding money even though I'd consistently said no to his offers to guide me and sell me hashish. However in my experience this is always bravado and he did leave me alone when I just ignored him, but it put me a bit on edge for the rest of the night. After a day of getting a bit lost I found my bearings and once I had the confidence of knowing where I was going the locals could tell and generally left me alone. Personally the challenge of finding my way round the medinas and wandering round soaking up the sights was a major attraction to Marrakech. The owner will insist on giving you his mobile number and if you do get completely lost and confused he will come and find you. This is good insurance but personally I thinks it's worth figuring it out yourself. I've read some reviews of Raids in the Northern Medina, suggesting that the area doesn't feel safe after dark. Whilst I can empathise, my understanding is that the risk of actual harm in the Medinas is extremely low. People will try and fleece you out of money and in the rare exception may act a bit aggressively, but I believe violence is rare and you just need to be confident in saying NO. I wouldn't let the location be off-putting, as I think the pros far outway the cons.

As this is a small family-run Riad there is less of a focus on customer service, in the way that I think us British are used to. They are more used to French and other continental guests. The onus is on you to ask for anything you want (.i.e drinks etc) rather than having it all laid out for you. Just overcome the British reserve and they'll accommodate if they can.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 4, 2010

We stayed at the Riad Dar Nouba in Marrakech for a week in January. It was excellent. Merwan & Gaethane (the owner and his wife) could not have been more welcoming, friendly and a significant part of the enjoyment of the whole holiday. The room was lovely, The Riad was outstanding. Breakfast with the family each morning was a bonus - it enabled opportunities to talk about life in Morocco much more than in a sterile hotel. There is a lovely roof terrace - whcih we topok advantage of on many occasions. Although evening meals are not part of the booking (it's qouted B&B) - they state that you can book a meal in advance. We had 2 - the 1st the night we arrived and the other on a day when we had been out to the Atlas mountains for the day. They have a local lady who comes in to cook and clean and her tagines were to die for - particularly her mutton, raisin and almond one. My son had stayed here 3 years previosuly and recommended it to us and I would heartily recommend it to anyone (as long as it doesn't become too popular so that I couldn't book again if I wanted!). Great price too. It is a Riad - so a private house built around a courtyard. It is located in the old town close to the souk and it is a short walk through the souk to the Jemma el Fna square which is a constant source of life/entertainment. Thanks a million Merwan

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bsingfield
Reviewed December 15, 2009

We stayed for over a week and just loved the room, hospitality, garden and roof terrace. My broken down vehicle neccesitated the long stay and Merwan our host could not have been more helpful both in speaking to the garage as well as helping us book our Hammam and other activities.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank andylakes
Reviewed December 3, 2009

We had booked a two night stay at this lovely riad, which - thanks to a broken down camper van - turned into 9 or 10 nights! We loved it. I stayed in a much more expensive riad on my last visit, and this one was more enjoyable and friendlier. It was very good value for money and I have no hesitation in recommending it..

Even before arrival the owners, a lovely Morrocan/Belgian couple Merwan & Gaethane, were very helpful providing additional information on parking, taxi bookings and so on.

The riad hs four guest bedrooms and is well presented in a simple traditional style. The continental breakfast was different every day and the roof terrace and courtyard were lovely places to sit and relax. It is a haven amongst the chaos.

Five minutes walk from the museum (easiest way to find its locaton on map) and ten minutes from the main square it was a great place to stay. Although not the easiest to find at first - nowhere in the medina is! - a guided walk to the square with Merwan in the first evening helped us find our bearings.

Merwan speaks reasonable English also and was able to act as a translator for us more than once. There is Wi Fi. There were endless supplies of mint tea. Dinner was availabe by arrangment, and a stock of bottled water, soft drinks, beers and wine was also on offer. They were happy to recommend hammans, restaurants, and other local services for us too.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends