Tripadvisor

from $608.69
More Info
from $652.96
More Info
All reviews terrific trip perfect guide local culture days trip beautiful country high atlas mountains an amazing experience caves erg hassan dunes desert camp driver fes
Selected filters
Reviewed January 19, 2020

We spent one night in the desert at the dunes of Erg Chegaga. The experience of the desert was very impressive and a wonderful highliggt of our trip in Morocco. We still think about it. We had wonderful and high professional service from our guide. The food was very delicious. We spent two days together and we enjoyed a lot. We highly recommend M'hamid and Desert Star Teavel to discover the Sahara.

Date of experience: January 2020
3  Thank Kellywhite0
Laghfiri H, Owner at Desert Star Travel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2020

Hello Kelly,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write such a detailed review of your trip with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed your trip, especially the overnight in the desert of Erg Chaggaga.

We wish you a safe return home and please come for a longer trip next time.

Reviewed December 29, 2019

It was a really wonderful experience ! I loved it so much ! I can’t wait to do it again !! After a really nice four by four tour in the desert, we had a cup of tea with some tradicional pasteries. Then we observed the beautiful desert sunset and had some dinner. After dinner we had a great time with tradicional music ! Really a must to do this trip! Thanks again to Hassan and staff. We will be back next year.

Date of experience: December 2019
3  Thank GoPlaces53973295819

Hello dear,

Thank you for this deport of your trip with us.

We are glad that you enjoyed trip highlights, including the four by four ride in the desert, the sunset and the Berber Music in the camp.

We wish you a safe travel back home.

Reviewed September 28, 2019

I just spend 4 days doing a trip with Desert Star Travel and I think they are not only very good but careful at planning and very active at solving problems when they arise. I am older and do not move very well but they organized a beautiful tour with a driver Abdul who taught me a lot (even taught me that AC in French is "La Clim" -climatization).
Hotels were from superb to modest and obviously the further one is from Marrakesh, the more modest the accommodations. But even in the desert, the tent had private bathroom and shower !! I had been in the Gobi and the shower there was less then 300cc of water ! The food was very good and I was surprised by the amount. I could never eat even half of what was provided. I know that a hungry tourist is the last thing a company wants, but maybe a little more of self-serve to reduce waste would be good. In the smaller hotels, AC ("La clim") worked with difficulty but eventually did. Wifi was actually excellent when available. Not to send 23 MB pictures but at least to check on family, work and messages. Don’t expect cold water in the tap! All water in the Atlas and Sahara is hot from the tap :). I prefer tap water to avoid single use plastics, but there it was at best lukewarm.
The car was a big 4by4 diesel Toyota (actually not a “Toy Ota”, but a “Big Ota”) and inspired confidence in the desert. I offered Abdul to pick up a woman hitchhiking along the road, but this was not approved in the “manifest” (trip log) and I was a little sad by that. An element of French gallantry that did not reach that far.
We did a long trip about 1300km and the scenery was beautiful and varied. Much of the western part of the Sahara up to the Atlas is very similar to Arizona. I have a modest interest in local culture (anywhere in the world as I feel that it makes the local somehow "zoo" exhibits and I usually avoid those visits. In most Berber villages, people were not eager to be photographed and that was fine with me; I prefer wildlife and landscape. People we met were nevertheless very friendly, and not constantly asking for money or trying to push “souvenirs” as in Egypt and Sudan. The amount of walking that students do to go to school was impressive: good for them ! I nearly caused a riot by giving some candy to some cute kids in Mhamid. These kids most not have too much access to European chocolate, but I had an insufficient supply !
Stops to visit were definitely not on par with other countries: carpet manufacturers were rather crude compared to Iran and Uzbekistan, pottery similarly much more primitive than in Iran and Turkey, some Aragan oil (all Feminine “coop”) were mostly attractive as they represented a feminine organization (women appear much better off in Morocco than in many Muslim countries—Saudi !!). Kasbah or Ksar were similar to those in Algeria.
I was interested however at rich displays of geodes and fossils offered for sale all along the roads in the Atlas. Do bargain and be aware of the prices back home. I was offered similar trilobites to those on eBay for 5 times the price. Just showing the US price is enough to align the prices, but probably most tourists do not go to that length.
A little snafu with airline reservations was resolved very kindly by Hassan with some alteration of the itinerary. His ability and willingness to solve problems really puts Desert Star travel among the best travel group I have dealt with and I have travelled over 90 countries. I very highly recommend them. The team was also very willing to listen to my interests and tailor a trip for the right number of days. Not at all “Pick this or that trip” and if this does not fit, too bad. Just the opposite.
A great experience that I would repeat but with more time ! Thanks Team !

Date of experience: September 2019
6  Thank Fetustician
Laghfiri H, Owner at Desert Star Travel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2019

Hello Phillip

We are so glad that you enjoyed your trip with us.

Thank so much for taking all this time and trouble to write such a detailed review describing your itinerary with Desert Star Travel.

We appreciate every single word in your report about our office service, our guides and our drivers.

We thank you and wish you a safe flight back home.

Reviewed September 26, 2019

Just came back from Morocco. Great trip, beautiful country, excellent food and friendly folks. We decided to use Desert Star Travel for our trip from Fes to Marrakesh. Our guide, Hamid and driver, Ali were terrific. Since we were unable to climb the mountain due to weather and snowy conditions, we trekked through the High Atlas Mountains, staying in caves and having lunch with the nomads who live in the mountains. Took in the local culture, visited some out of the way places.....terrific trip. They will work with you to custom your trip and time as you see fit.
Thank you Desert Star Travel.

Date of experience: September 2019
4  Thank Satisfying C
Reviewed July 22, 2019

We were a group of medical students on exchange in Marrakech and Hassan’s company, ‘desert star travel’ was highly recommended and they delivered.
The scenery we saw was amazing and the food was in abundance! The staff had vast knowledge of the places we saw and had great care during the travel.
The trip was perfectly timed from Friday morning to Sunday evening.

Date of experience: July 2019