New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Riad des Eaux et Spa

Riad des Eaux et Spa
Ranked #173 of 512 Hotels in Marrakech
Cambridge, UK
“Stylish, friendly and peaceful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I loved staying here. I was a woman travelling alone, and the riad had been booked for me by my previous hotel. After initial concern about the venue where someone from the hotel would pick me up (an old hotel which had definitely seen better days!), and a seemingly convoluted walk through winding alleys to the riad, making me wonder if I'd ever find my way out, it was a joy to arrive in the calm of this small riad. The owner is friendly and discreet, and speaks quite good English. While the women who cook and clean do not (and I wouldn't expect them to), I could negotiate most things between my rusty French and mime. Mohammed, who met me and then made sure I found the Jamaa al Fna, was very helpful. Breakfasts were fine and there was mint tea and bottled water available. The bed was firm but comfortable. I returned to the riad for my last night after a week of travelling, and was welcomed back warmly. I had another, equally nice, bedroom: both had great bathrooms: hamman style. I booked a hamman and massage in the riad, and both were excellent. The owner has a good sense of style, with some great original paintings and antique rugs. For dinner, she recommended a good vegetarian cafe around the corner, and I also ate at a cafe in the street towards the square which was basic but fine. Initially anxious about returning after dark to an entrance in such a narrow alley, by my second night I felt reasonably safe. I definitely hope to return to Riad des Eaux.

Room Tip: 1st floor looking directly onto the courtyard were both good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had a 4 night stay at Riad des Eaux et spa with my girlfriend in February. Lovely location, nice and quiet. Took a delux room right at the top of the building. Apart from TV which only showed news channels in black and whist as well as rather a hard bed, the place was superb. I think I would have struggled if I wasn't French fluent, but everything I asked for was provided. Had a great massage too, one of the best ever. Will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Good French will help, you'll manage just if not though.

You will love this Riad, staff are friendly when you ask anything, but you wont be talked through what will happen next in any situation (should we go to our room, when is check-out, what time is breakfast, can we book airport transfer etc), If you don't mind occasional awkwardness this wont be a problem for you.

I tried to contact the Riad before we left to ask some of my endless questions (we were 2 girls traveling alone, so were being sensible and being prepared). I got no reply - I called but my french was so poor it was useless!

We stayed in a deluxe room, it was gorgeous (there was more than a little noise through the night, people, fridges dripping taps but this didn't bother me too much personally).

We booked 2 trips though the Riad, again we didn't get much info on either of them so was a bit of a lucky dip, but we enjoyed both the Fantasia show + dinner, and a trip to Ouarzazate through the mountains (turned out to be a 12 hour trip!!) both had personal chauffeurs and not being in a big group was nice. We also had a Spa in the Riad which was fantastic a must.
Most important thing to note, the Riad has no access by road to it, you're looking at a 10 min walk USUALLY (but not always) guided by a man with a wheelbarrow - YOU WILL NEED TO TIP HIM at least 20dh (this was awkward on our arrival as we had no change) when its dark its really intimidating - you will be OK, but it may not feel like it at the time

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at Riad des Eaux. We had never been to Morocco before and found that the decor and the little finishing touches created a really beautiful Moroccan setting which we had really hoped to find in a Riad (hotels are not like this - very bland). The staff were young and fun, they didn't pester us at all but they were happy to help if we sought them out. Breakfast was great!! A couple of suggestions:
-depending on what time of year you go, the prices of the Imzi tours are actually cheaper if you book them directly from the website rather than through reception. Imzi website has a lot of sales in winter which would have been cheaper than the price we paid for our day trip.
- the hammam was excellent!! highly recommended
- we weren't charged the city tax, but we were in almost every other place. Perhaps they have now factored it into the price based on previous negative comments? It is standard practice in Morocco and should not be considered a flaw of this or any other establishment in and of itself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tara C
Vicenza
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

ROOMS: really different even if the price is more or less the same. Pay attention, there are two "standard" that are so small that you can't even open your luggages, and have the wc really close to the bed with just a tent to separate it. The superiors are beautiful and spacious and deserve a stay.
LELEV OF SERVICE: very low in terms of accuracy. We spent there 4 days and there was always a lot of noise, with attendants and directors shouting all the time to talk each others from different floors and at the phone. When we arrived our room was not available becuase they gave it to another client by mistake, and we had to move to another riad for the first night. Unacceptable.
POSITION: great, just 50 m from the big square. The riad is inside the souk. Note that is much easier to access from the square rather than from the opposite side of the street, which is much more distant (but taxis leave you there, maybe because that way you have to pay local people to help you with the luggages).
SPA: we had a 30 minutes massage but I would not recommend it. The dedicated room was really cold and we found much higher quality in other hamman & spa in the city.

Room Tip: Is a must to choose: Room Minerale, Room Moucharabieh or the Suite Des Eaux. Avoid Room Zen Double o...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Upon arrival we were welcomed with mint tea & pastries and a demand for more money!
We had paid for our holiday in full at the time of booking and had a receipt which confirmed this. They insisted that we had to pay another 25 dirhams per person per night as a local "tax", previous reviewers have commented on this. On reading the notice in the room it appears to be the commission which the hotel pays to the booking agents. At the end of our stay they did not ask for the money as we had made our position clear. The description of the riad showed satellite tv, only the cables were present in the room. There were 3 hair driers to service all the rooms which took a number of requests to obtain. The staff were friendly but if you are expecting modern hotel standards this is not for you. There were no facilities to make a hot drink and the safe was small and easily portable & not even secured to the wardrobe shelf. The bed was the hardest and most uncomfortable we have encountered anywhere and the slope made it evident that the mattress had not been turned for some time. Washbasins were cracked and the plumbing basic, the taps were more like valves and the spouts were bent copper pipe The room was dark and the rugs faded. The positive is the location within a couple of hundred metres of the main square however this means a long trundle down alleys with the cases avoiding mopeds.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Dec 2012 we had the junior suite for four nights. The room was lovely looking with two sofas, sunken bath/shower, mini fridge and tv with satellite. There were also built in wardrobes and plenty of cupboard space.

Location was fantastic, three mins walk to the main square and all its attractions and despite being in the middle of the city it was remarkably peaceful and relaxing.

We didn't eat at the hotel; apart from breakfast which was the standard Moroccan fare of hard boiled eggs, fruit juice, yoghurt and an assortment of bread based products and preserves.

Reception area and courtyard were very pretty and the spa area looked nice and smelled wonderful. Hammam and various treatments were available but hubby and I are not too keen so didn't try them.

The roof terrace was furnished with a couple of loungers, plenty of low chairs and tables and a high table we used to play cards in the morning sun.

Wifi didn't work in the room but if you put your wifi device on the open widow sill it worked fine or better still sat on the rooftop terrace.

The pool is on the ground floor, behind the courtyard and is very small, more of a plunge pool than for swimming. We didn't fancy a dip as there were only upholstered chairs in the courtyard to sit and dry off on. So we guessed you had to walk, dripping wet back to your room. No fun with a winding uneven stone staircase but the pool did look very attractive.

Likes:

Location
Sunken shower
Large bright and airy room
Roof terrace

Dislikes:

Incredibly hard bed that was dome shaped
Only one plug for TV or Satellite neither work without the other but I don't think the satellite works anyway

Room Tip: Standard rooms looked very small with the bed pushed against the wall and little walking around room...