“Stay here!!!!”
Review of Riad Aguaviva

Riad Aguaviva
Ranked #9 of 1,185 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Having searched all kinds of websites for Riads in Marrakech I decided on Aguaviva due to its great reviews here. Having now stayed there I can see why it's got so many really good reviews and I'm pretty pleased with my choice.

Before we got there we had to contact them to book a couple of extra days and arrange transport from the airport. They always got back to us really quickly and were more than happy to accommodate our requests.

Upon arriving 4 hours late due to flight delays we were greeted with smiles and welcomed into the beautiful building. We were shown to our room which had water and oranges waiting for us.
The room was really well and thoughtfully equipped. It had air con, extra blankets, loads of fresh towels, boxes of tissues, cotton wool, shower gel and shampoo. The room was also really clean, as was the rest of the riad in fact.

The staff were so helpful and nothing was to much trouble for them. You could pretty much just throw your guidebook away and plan your days from their tips and advice. We also got a personal tour of the medina from David in which he showed us how to get to the big square and the different ways of getting back etc. Not only was this super helpful, it was actually really great to see the city through his eyes.

Not once did any of the staff suggest that you do something or go somewhere because they get a cut out of it (which happens in most other places)
They were just a bunch of really nice people wanting you to enjoy your trip.

I would definitely stay at Aguaviva again and recommend it to anyone. I'd even go as far as to stay it's the best place I've ever stayed!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Charrpp

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Riad Aguqviva is a real gem. The Riad boasts beautiful decoration and quiet rooms and is an oasis of tranquility amidst the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. But it is not just the lovely property which makes Riad Aguaviva such a wonderful place to make your base, it is the instant welcome, the feeling of being properly looked after, the effort that Manel, David, Oti, Sara, Simo Alba and Ibtissam & Sukaina put into making you feel completely at ease both inside the Riad and also in the city. With free guided trips around the medina to get you orientated, special maps and great recommendations, the team really make your holiday something special. Simon's breakfasts are just perfect and set you up for a day of exploring. Thank you to all at Aguaviva for making our trip really special!

Room Tip: Sultan is an Exotic room with lovely decoration
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The riad is located about 20 mins walk from the main square in an area with few tourists around. The airport pick up is recommended as it is hard to find and not many people know where it is.
The staff will give you a walking tour to get your bearings and a map to help and buses and taxis are nearby and relatively easy. We had already spent a couple of nights near the main square so it was nice to stay in a different area with less shops and locals going about their business, although if it's your first stay or you are a bit nervous you may be better near the square, especially if you want to walk after dark, as it is very easy to get lost.
The riad is nice, breakfast is different every day and the staff are very helpful and will give recommendations to suit your interests which you can choose to follow or not.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Jo_Aberdeen_UK
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was my first trip to Morocco and I arrived at Riad Aguaviva in the evening wondering if everything that other reviews had said could actually be true …. and the answer is YES.

Everybody from the Aguaviva ‘team’ was there to greet me on arrival and immediately the peaceful beauty of the Riad made me feel relaxed and on holiday. I was upgraded to a different room for free with water and orange waiting for me in the room.

I began each day with fresh breakfast on the rooftop terrace with something different every morning, always cooked beautifully and complimented by fresh bread, orange juice, mint tea and a variety of spreads.

On my first morning Manuel gave me a guided tour of the surrounding area and then the route into the medina with an essential map. This not only involved hearing about some of the social history but also sampling local fruits and sugar cane juice !! This tour and the map were invaluable throughout my stay in helping me to find my way around and back to the Riad each evening.

Manuel would then help me plan each day after breakfast, tailoring his suggestions to what I wanted to achieve during my stay and providing the necessary directions, tips and hand drawn map to guide me through the day. On my return each evening there was always a warm welcome and the chance to talk about where I had been, what I had done and where I had found to eat.

The Riad is immaculate, beautiful and peaceful … the team as welcoming, helpful and warm as you could wish for throughout your stay … and its location in north Marrakech gives you an insight into Moroccan working life. If you want somewhere personal and comfortable then this is the place to stay. Thank you Riad Aguaviva.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I can't say enough good things about Riad Aguaviva! They treated us like family right from the start.

The amazing Sara took such good care of us. More like a friend than an employee of a hotel. After we got settled in, she took us on a walk to orient ourselves with the medina. This is so important!! I was very overwhelmed at first but Sara's relaxed personality helped to ease me into this totally different world. Coming from Canada, I found the medina absolutely bonkers! Scooters, bikes, donkeys, trucks, people everywhere.... But seeing Sara so relaxed walking around totally put me at ease and I felt very safe. She walked us all the way to the main square and showed us an authentic moroccan restaurant where we ate dinner. She left us there and we found our way back home using the provided map and remembering landmarks that she pointed out along the way.

We loved breakfast every day. We were there for 6 nights and breakfast was different every day. Amazing coffee and OJ. Simo took very good care of us (bringing me a second pot of that awesome coffee). Rooftop terrace is so tranquil and beautiful. As we were wrapping up breakfast, David would help us make our plans for the day. We loved it. He would even draw customs maps every day to help us find our way. We really liked all of their recommendations. David also gave us an amazing gift. He drew a portrait of me and my wife. It's beautiful. He is such a talented artist (as you will see when you look around the riad). David is such a kind soul. He even came to work early on our last day to say goodbye and he and Simo gave us a great breakfast to eat at the airport.

This riad is truly an oasis in a chaotic city. You might feel skeptical when you first duck into the little alley for the riad but I assure you, it is beautiful. We felt so safe and secure we didn't even lock our room when we went out.

The only thing I would caution people about is the location. We were well aware after reading reviews but you should know that the riad is about 20 min walk to the main square. For us, this was a positive aspect. I wanted to be as far away as possible from the monkeys and the snake charmers!!! I loved the "real" neighborhood where the riad is. Buses and taxis are cheap and very available too.

I could go on but need to stop somewhere! It's a good sign when you actually miss the people where you stayed (hi Sara!).

I highly recommend this Riad (in case you didn't already figure that out).

Oh, and definitely book the airport transfer! You would have a very hard time finding it on your own the first time!! Driver was friendly and waiting for us at the airport.

In closing, I have never stayed at such an honest place. Never trying to up sell or send you to crappy touristy places. They booked us a cooking class that was one of our highlights for sure.

Message me if you have any questions!

Thank you, Riad Aguaviva!!!

Andrew

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I never normally get round to writing reviews but this is one I really must write.

What an amazing Riad. All the rooms are fabulously decorated, comfortable and beautiful. Location wise Aguaviva is tucked away in the North of the Medina, just far enough away from the hustle and bustle to give you some calm after a hectic day. It's close to some amazing restaurants (Le Fondouk and Dar Donah are a couple) and just a 20 minute stroll from the main square. Perfect location.

But this is not the main reason for recommending staying here; that is the incredible staff!! From the minute you arrive you are welcomed into the heart of your new Morroccan family. Sara and Oti and the rest of the staff are just amazing. They will orientate you through the Medina and provide guidance and maps to ensure you don't lose your way. Sara genuinely loves her job and is truly passionate about the city! She walked with us for two hours through the alleyways and streets, through the souks to the square, all the time explaining landmarks to remember and showing us hidden secrets behind the closed doors of Marrakech. Absolutely nothing stands in the way of them ensuring your stay is as memorable as it can possibly be. They will find out from you what your interests are and help you plan each day of your trip if you want them to. Each day we were guided through new things to do and see and not once did we get lost or feel unsure of where we where.

Their recommendations for restaurants and things to see and do were spot on and we were able to walk everywhere confidently using just their maps and guidance.

We had dinner at the Riad on our last night and it was really magical. The table was set under the stars with Morroccan candles and strewn with rose petals and the food was amazing! It was one of the best meals we had during our stay. Simo definitely makes the best Tanjia in Marrakech!!

We will be back in Marrakech soon and I already know exactly where we will be staying!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Riad Aguaviva for three nights at the start of a recent tour of Morocco. It is a truly beautiful riad but what makes it really, really special is the staff. David, Sara, Oti and Simo were all wonderful (Manel was in Spain at the time of our trip). All seemed to know what we wanted before we did. Nothing was too much trouble. All communications before (and after - more of this later) were dealt with promptly and efficiently and in a really friendly way.

They arranged for our transport from the airport and the second the car parked up in the Medina, Simo was on hand to bring us the couple of minutes walk to the Riad. We had asked if it would be possible for some food when we arrived as we knew we were not going to feel like trying to find a restaurant at the time of night we arrived. The food was better than any we had elsewhere in Marrakech (and very reasonably priced). Breakfasts too were wonderful. Sara brought us down to the main square the following morning and ensured that we would always be able to find our way back (she was also great fun to be with and seemed to know everything about the city). David was an absolute font of information and recommended places to see (in Marrakech and elsewhere) that we wouldn't have found without him and for which we will always be grateful.

All that said however, the thing that is most indicative of my feelings about this place is my complete lack of worry when a potential disaster happened. We managed to leave our passports in the safe - how stupid is that! We only remembered them about four hours out of Marrakech and our driver phoned the riad immediately. I don't know who he spoke to but whoever it was checked that they were still there and promised to keep them secure until we could collect them after our tour. At no point did I feel worried that anything would happen. Once I knew they were there, I knew they were safe.

All I can say is that when we go back to Marrakech we will stay at Riad Aguaviva. I wouldn't dream of looking elsewhere. I really can't recommend it more highly than that.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple