“not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #655 of 1,169 Marrakech B&B and Inns
wales
“not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

The upstairs rooms were fine, but the 2 rooms downstairs were not up to the mark. no AC in all rooms. the downstairs room AC was not great. the staff were very polite and obliging. breakfast average.this riad is meant for backpackers and young couple. long walk from the square to get to this riad.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
leovw, Public Relations Manager at Riad Maizie, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for your input but please note:

1 - We clearly state on our website the rooms with and without AC.

2 - The majority of people who stay in our Riad are very complementary about our traditional Moroccan breakfasts.

3 - The Riad is in no way intended for backpackers and young people (although they are welcome), our clientele vary from young families to retired couples. We offer a tranquil glimpse of traditional Moroccan Riad life.

4 - As stated all over our website it is a 10 minute walk to the square and 5 minutes to the main souks.

Also I would like to say having looked at all your other reviews - You seem to be able to find fault where others find happiness. I am sorry your experiences fall short of your expectations.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Riad Maizie very recently 27th March to 3 April 2011. We were made thoroughly welcome. Even on the evening of our arrival there was a wonderful meal prepared for us. A caring forethought on the part of Will our host at the Riad. Breakfasts on the roof were sublime even down to how you prefered your eggs. They were always exactly right. Evenings in the courtyard were a happening in their own right! Obviously the staff take great pride in making your stay as perfect as they can. We learnt a lot about an enticing country and wonderful, thoughtful people too. We will defintly be returning.

Room Tip: Great value for money, authentic, and hospitable,
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Riad Maizie is a lovely place to stay-especially if you're looking for something authentically Moroccan. It's beautifuly decorated-a lot of effort went in to the restoration. The owners Will and Miranda and staff Amal, Nezha and Hicham have created a warm and safe environment for the guests. All the food is prepared fresh everyday by Amal and Nezha and is delicious. I spent four days at the Riad on a yoga retreat run by Miranda, which was very enjoyable as I had not practiced yoga before. I am looking forward to going back to the Riad on my next visit to Marrakesh.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank boilybee
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

We stayed at Riad Maizie for 3 nights early December for my 40th birthday. We can only confirm the postive reviews so far. Very helpful staff, without being over the top or in your face, couldn't have asked for more. We even received an email from owner whilst waiting for our flight in UK to ask if we would like evening meal due to our late arrival in Marrakesh, and the meal provided was delicious.
Would recommend this place and will definately be returning.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

My friend and I travelled to Morocco and chose Riad Maizie after reading the book (by the owner) on the purchase and renovation of the riad. We had a lovley time, with Dan the owner there during our stay. You need to be relaxed as it all happens in Moroccan time, but it does happen! The rooms are simply gorgeous...not over the top, but amazing Moroccan features and very very comfortable and for the price, fantastic. The breakfast is absolutley lovely and i HIGHLY recommend eating in at least one night...the ladies cook up a feast. I actualy found the food in Marrakech to be quite disappointing, but the ladies in Maizie can truly cook!! I would definitley recommend others to stay at Maizie, and of course to eat there! I stayed in the Doueria....very private with the only noise coming from the birds in the morning!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank maxtedandlily
CHESTER
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Not much I can say about this Riad and it's staff that hasn't already been said on here but I can confirm all the fantastic positive reviews already posted.
My friend and I were lucky enough to visit Riad Maizie for a week in April 2010. This heavenly haven from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech is just what you need to relax and truely experience Morocco. The staff, Abdel and his sisters Amal and Nezah, could not do enough to help during our visit. The food was exceptional and i would recommend eating an authentic Moroccan meal cooked by them at the Riad one evening. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Chill out on the terrace with good food and good conversation - what else could you ask for!!! The rooms are simply beautiful. I hope one day to be able to return to what was an amazing home in an amazing city.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank JOLOChester
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2010

What can I add to all the other reviews? I totally agree with all the earlier reviews, but also want to add that the sympathy, company, hospitality and helpfulness of the owner, Dan Pearce, and his staff, meant that I actually enjoyed the experience of having my passport stolen in the souk and my return to the UK delayed by two days. Fortunately I was able to extend my stay in the beautifully and traditionally restored riad, and set up my 'office' in the cool and calming courtyard, with all the necessary documents and my phone, sustained by endless cups of team, while my life return to normal. It was an ideal place from which to get to know the souks and the heart of Marrakesh.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends