Dar Rocmarra
Riad 72(Marrakech)
$152
$147
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdesert majestyroof terracerose petalsmint tealamb taginethe main squaregenerous breakfastwonderful cookfresh fruitpancakesdelightful riadtranquil oasiseach morningthe ground floorthree nightsstar servicestayed longer
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Dar Rocmarra sets the bar for Dars in Marrakech. Inside the Medina, a short walk to everywhere yet the privacy and ambiance of this place is beyond what we had imagined! The staff: Jamila, Latifah & Jaleel were outstanding! We were celebrating a friends birthday and Jamila prepared a meal that tasted, looked, and served like at any fine restaurants in the USA & baked a birthday cake with dedication and candles to boot! The ambiance created for this special night was dreamy and all of our questions and requests were addressed & granted. Made us all feel like royalty, yet very homey. comfortable, lovely, & simply delightful. An experience that will not be forgotten! Thank you Jamila, Latifah & Jaleel for your hospitality! Our ride to/from train station was 1st class all the way! Very, very impressive!

Room Tip: We stayed at the the Douria Suite...breakfast was included.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank April G
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was our first family holiday to Marrakeck.Dar Rocmarra was a splendid choice.The Dar was clean,tranquil and well positioned to explore Marrakech.Whilst safety had been a concern prior to our visit ( children 10 and 14 )The Dar was so well located that all late evening meals were such a short distance away so as not to cause whilst walking with children late at night.The more we ventured out the more familiar nearby stall holders became and the more we felt people were at hand if we lost our way or needed help.
Everything we required was made available to us at Dar Rocmara.We enjoyed beautiful tejines and no meal was too difficult or trouble to prepare.Breakfast was amazing and however a fussy eater you may be there was something there to please everyone.
The whole experience was great.However,this was down to Jamila,her sister and the young man who served in the evenings.Jamila is the perfect hostess, she it the best itinery planner and cook.Whilst Dar Rocmara is itself a lovely place to stay Jamila's kindness makes a stay at Dar Rocmara a special family holiday.
i have no reservations in urging others to visit and enjoy Marrakeck from this excellent base.Not only relaxing but interesting for the children.

Room Tip: Regarding choice of room the large family Suite offers a good balance between privacy and keeping an eye on the children.Whilst it is essentially one room it is sufficiently large and well laid out so that no one should feel closed in.The seating area between our bed and the childrens' 2 single beds was a good feature providing some natural space between the 2 areas.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

There are loads of riads in Marrakech, you are spoilt for choice. The basic format is the same - an old family home based around an open square, converted into guest rooms. However, the outstanding quality of Dar RocMarra staff and the beautiful interior means this is the only riad you should be considering for your trip! Last week was our first visit to this fascinating country which we absolutely loved, but staying at this riad took our holiday from great to totally brilliant.

We arrived - as many tourists do - being tailed by a local who was expecting payment for 'directions' (which we insisted were not required as we had a map and knew where we were going!). To be honest you come to expect this, but we had just travelled in from the mountains so were at least a little savvy, plus I wasn't feeling well and at this moment had had enough! Jamila opened the door with a big smile and helped sort out the misunderstanding. We were so pleasantly surprised on entering the Riad as it is even more beautiful than the photos on here show, with an olive tree in the centre and calming trickle of water into the petal scattered plunge pool. She sat us down with traditional mint tea and Moroccan cookies and gave us a really warm welcome. Our chat included - and why don't more guest house type places do this?! - a fantastic orientation of Marrakech and souks with a map. It included tips on good quality shops, restaurants and hammams - steam baths. If for no other reason, it was worth booking Dar RocMarra for this thoughtful introduction to this frantic city, it made us feel instantly at home and safe. Jamila even gave us a business card with all of their contact details, and wrote in arabic so we could show it to any taxi driver if we got lost, just brilliant.

Our room was a little one on the ground floor, and it was simply stunning. I ended up taking lots of pictures of little details like the gorgeous shutters and Moroccan lamp shades for my photo book. I found that it is this distinctive style that makes Morocco so visually appealing and exotic to me, for us we liked the traditional style, albeit with lovely new furniture and fittings (my husband had been electrocuted from the plug socket at a previous cheap riad - not worth it!). Rose petals were on the bed and bath mat, the whole place felt homely and incredibly special at the same time.

Unfortunately I was not well the first night, but I also found the bed in this room a little firm and uncomfortable, however I must emphasise that I suspect this is because I was unwell or personal preference. We mentioned this to Jamila before we set out into the souks in the afternoon. Upon our return we found that all of our things had been moved to another room for us that had a different style of mattress (which was better for me). We were so touched and pleased by this level of service.

We decided to eat in that evening as we had heard great things about the food at Dar RocMarra and were not disappointed! My husband had a delicious lamb tagine with rice, I enjoyed a simple harira soup to make me feel better, and we finished with tea and pastries. It was perfect and I swear that this simple soup, of vegetables and pulses, helped me to feel better by the next morning.

Breakfast here is also superb, and varied on the different days but included bagette, omlette, fried eggs, fresh fruit, yoghurt and pancakes - yummy! It always comes with freshly squeezed orange juice and tea or coffee. I had also asked for a glass of water the previous morning since I was dehydrated, and Jaleel (Jamila's brother) remembered and brought me some that morning too. Little touches like this are what makes the riad so perfect. Another thing, the tea is proper British tea, none of that lipton rubbish AND is thoughtfully given to you as a tea bag and flask of hot water - for those of you who hate teapots going cold as you leisurely sip your tea during your holiday!

In the evenings we enjoyed the lovely seating on the top floor of the riad, it is so atmospheric to look out above the flat roofs of the city and hear the call to prayers starting up from the various minarets dotted around (don't worry it is not too loud it the rooms). We thought we would venture out more but the riad was so wonderful we didn't want to spend our limited time elsewhere for too long! We saw what we wanted, and had great experiences including those steam baths that Jamila recommended and booked on our behalf. On the final evening we sat and played chess with a beer, it was so lovely. Wifi was handy to book on our extra bag to take home all of our goodies from the souks.

This riad is the stunning oasis of calm you will need to tackle those fascinating, but quite tiring souks and pushy market traders! But for all its beauty it is Dar RocMarra's impeccable staff that make this surely one of the best riads in Marrakech, and they are not all the same! We would not consider staying anywhere else when we next return.

Room Tip: Johari room was the second one we stayed in.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank juliaf1986
imsMahon, Owner at Dar Rocmarra, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you all for the lovely reviews .We have been closed during July for some maintenance work and re-open 1 August, the whole riad fresh and beautiful! We look forward to welcoming all our clients again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My Wife and I booked Dar Rocmarra after reading the positive trip advisor reviews.
We were not disappointed and in my opinion it more than lives up to the reviews I have read from other visitors.
Jamila, the Manager, greeted us with a big smile and made us feel at home straight away. She welcomed us with mint tea and the most fantastic home made biscuits.
Our room was spacious and thoughtfully decorated in the local style. The bed was covered with fresh rose petals and very beautiful.  In the bathroom the towels were soft and fluffy,  there were white slippers and good amenities.
We pre-booked dinner for our first night, the wine was excellent, the lamb the best I've tasted and the chocolate mousse was unforgettable!
We had breakfast on the roof terrace....Fresh orange juice, good coffee, pancakes, flat crumpets, crusty fresh bread, fresh fruit, yogurts, eggs, tomatoes, cheese and an assortment of jams- all delicious!!
The Riad is elegant but unpretentious, the music played softly and was very relaxing and calming. There is a small dipping pool with a waterfall in the central hall which adds to the calm ambience.
The service was excellent and we would definitely recommend Dar Rocmarra to our friends.  It was exceptionally clean, the staff were delightful and nothing was too much trouble for them. My wife hopes to return soon to continue shopping for lamps, kaftans and spices....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Our first visit to Marrakech and we are so pleased we stayed at the Dar Rocmarra. We were met at the airport by a driver with a comfortable car arranged by the riad. The driver carried our bags and introduced us to the wonderful manageress Jamila. A refreshing mint tea was served while she explained in perfect English where we were and the best places to go. Dar Rocmarra arranged a very interesting trip into the Atlas mountains with a knowledgeable driver/guide.
First night we had a delicious dinner with wine served on the roof top terrace soaking in the atmosphere. Jamila makes a wonderful breakfast too which we had in the pretty courtyard accompanied by the gentle sound of the waterfall. Jamila and her staff are friendly and efficient.
Dar Rocmarra has a great location for exploring the old town and as the taxi rank is very close it's easy to get out to and back from dinner if you can walk no further after a day exploring! When we returned late from dinner Jamila's brother was there to welcome us and offer us drinks. He is there all night incase a guest needs anything just part of the wonderful service.
The rooms are very clean and the beds comfortable. I loved all the Moroccan lanterns and other
decorative items but most of all the timeless peacefulness is something very special. I am looking forward to our next visit and if you are looking for a great location, a peaceful atmosphere, with good food and staff this is the place!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple