“Pleasant new hotel next to a building site,untrained staff” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa

Palm Plaza Marrakech Hotel & Spa
Ranked #222 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
Shropshire
“Pleasant new hotel next to a building site,untrained staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed, as part of a group, for the last rhree nights of our tour of Morocco. Pleasant hotel with ample space in the rooms plus a balcony, lovely spacious pool and gardens plus 3 restaurants, snack bar and bar. But the rooms have no mini bar, the fridge had been disabled so we couldn't even keep our water cool and the hotel is way out of town, opposite a row of empty shops and next to a building site. A *5 star hotel and no mini bar??
Our tour included a very good breakfast in the 'International' restaurant where we opted to go for the very good buffet in the evening. Wine service was very slow. The second night we did likewise but the meal was much the same. On our last night, 11 ipeople independently booked through Reception to eat at the Moroccan Restaurant. At 7.30 we arrived to find it empty. After several enquiries which took half an hour, we were told that it was closed as the person running it was off that evening! No apology regarding our bookings. We went back to the buffet restaurant but that was closed too. We tried the snack bar but there was almost no food left. Finally we went to the Thai restaurant where there was no Thai food at all but a few leftover starters from the buffet, two hot dishes - one of them tripe! - and a few tired looking leftover desserts from the buffet of the last two days. It took 20 minutes to order the wine,10 for the waiter to bring it and 5 for him to find a corkscrew. Getting the bill each night caused great confusion and much runnning around. Hopeless service in a so-called *5 hotel . Staff are not trained to *1 standards let alone *5 star. A pity as the hotel has much to recommend it.

Room Tip: Pool-facing rooms probably better but road side is not noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I booked this hotel along with the flight package for my 1st wedding anniversary - as my gift to my beautiful wife. First of all, I wasn't impressed with the hotel's standard as I really didn't think it was anywhere near 5 star. I booked a premium double room but on arrival I simply asked if I can be upgraded to a Suit and was told they'll have to speak with the manager tomorrow morning. The manager said in the morning he'll upgrade us if we pay 300 dirhams which we said no to. Secondly the room's carpet was very dirty, digital safe to store money & passports didn't work due to low battery and I couldn't lock the balcony door (but that was my fault because I wasn't doing it properly). I felt like non of the staff went out of their way to help us apart from Iman, she was very helpful and tried her best to help us. Staffs understanding of English was very poor as I meet beggars on the street (in Djami Al Fena) who understood and spoke better English. The location of the hotel was good as it wasn't too far or too close to Djami Al Fena, the shopping mall (Al Mazar, Carrefour) across the road was very handy but it gets very quite in the area after 10pm as it's a new residential area.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D8LOM
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

A group of us booked this hotel through Groupon for 3 nights which inc breakfast and dinner.
When we checked in the staff were more than willing to help out and gave us a pool view and the two rooms were interconnecting which was perfect for 4 girls.
The view was just amazing, the room was air con which was perfect as it was 40degrees outside.
The food wasnt that great as it was mainly the same every night except on our last night we were pleasantly surprised. The staff were always willing to help. We went during Ramadan so the hotel was very quiet which worked out best for us.
The pool is really nice and love the fact that we didnt have to fight for a lounger or space.
Best groupon deal I have ever got and would defo recommend this to anyone. Will be visiting again with the hubby!

Room Tip: The interconnecting rooms 1309 and 1311 had an excellent view of the pool and was really spacious.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FrancineLK
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of an overnight land excursion on a recent cruise. The hotel is new and very clean. We enjoyed the lunch and breakfast that we had. Our room was comfortable. Because this was a pre-paid trip though the cruise line, I do not know what the cost of the stay way or if they usually include breakfast with the stay.

A word of warning----our sliding-glass door was not locked when we arrived in the room.

My other word of warning would be to hold on to your belongings. Upon arrival, we went into a reception room to fill out some paperwork and enjoy a cup of tea. I did not realize that I was missing my camera until about 30 minutes later. I am thinking that it fell out of my purse when I was looking for a pen. Three people went back to the reception room, on separate occasions, to take the cushions off of the chair I was sitting in and look throroughly around the room. After lunch, I went to the front desk to ask if the camera might have been turned in, and if not, to let them know that I had lost it and was looking for it. The person I talked with seemed unconcerned, but a few minutes the person who was serving us tea showed up with the camera. It was made to look like she had just found it in the chair.

Other than the camera incident, we enjoyed our stay and enjoyed the food. We did not have time to experience the spa or pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view. The street side is not noisy though.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kathy22192
mombasa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

we stayed as a group visit and overall was a good stay. staff friendly, though the heating system failed at some point and my room was terribly cold. Breakfast selection was good , wish we could stay longer but again pool can only be great during summer. during my visit it was cold. will not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mombasahotelier
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

The front desk service was not good; staff took too long to check us in. The clerk was chit-chatting with another staff member as though we weren't there!
The food was just average. I think they should include breakfast in the cost of the room as other local hotels do but even if they had, the food was just average.
I also found the staff obnoxious; the server in one of the restaurants made us wait over 45 minutes for our check after we asked her several times to bring it! When she finally brought the bill, she took my cash, returned with the change and gave it to my friend instead of me...she got no tip.
The rooms were nicely appointed with lots of space. The beds were comfortable, clean, and large.
The best feature in the hotel is the pool! The rose garden that surrounds it is beautiful and the pool itself is large, clean, and a sight for sore eyes. It was nice to veg out around the pool, people-watch, and relax.
Rooms overlooking the pool must be for those who pay more. Our view was of construction.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the pool and not the street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends