New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“The best meal in Marrakech” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad Kniza Restaurant

Riad Kniza Restaurant
Ranked #43 of 790 Restaurants in Marrakech
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“The best meal in Marrakech”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I've been in Marrakech for 8 days now, have eaten at many fine places including La Sultana and Ksar Essaoussan, and it's my opinion that Riad Kniza is the finest place to eat in the old city. It's not often that a dining experience can bring me to the verge of tears but this did; beautiful food, genuinely helpful and friendly staff, traditional live music drifting into our private dining room over the sound of the courtyard fountain, lovely ambience, perfect. I found the Kniza easy enough, it's near Bab Doukkala, which is my favourite part of the old city and an easy 20 minute walk from the main square. I won't expand of what others have said about the food on offer, other than to say that everything tasted as it should do; which sounds obvious but is rarely the case in many eateries where the dishes can be either very bland or over spiced. Excellent, and I'd advise anybody visiting Marrakech to eat here at least once.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
“A traditional, authentic feast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the more traditionally restored Riads - and the food matches. Excellent hospitality and service, excellent Pastilla. At the same time, it's quite discreet: tables are spaced quite well apart, there's lovely live music, but without the excesses of belly-dancing. Great for a romantic night out

London, United Kingdom
“If it is not about food it would be perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

I went to this restaurant as it was one of the recomendations for monday evening (when a lot of restaurants in Marrakech are closed) and I was impressed by the place... It was just stunning, authentic Moroccan style, detailed to perfection, warm welcome and smilling staff... Once seated we have been offered a drink (they do serve wine) and after that the show started... No menu, no price list, no questions... Just a Moroccan this and Moroccan that and did you like it and yes it was lovely and smiling and more smiling... The wine was nice... 5 courses meal was like any other full set menu of Moroccan foods... so very mild soup of lentils and beans, then sweet and salty pastilla of chicken and vegetables, then mix of sallads, then tajine and sweets on the end... The meal was ok but nothing as delicious as I was expecting... (I had better tajine in my hotel ie)... After the meal there was a little surprise called the bill that was 1200 DRH (£96 = €120) for two of us.
This is deffo place to see but I think there are better places to taste moroccan foods

Visited May 2014
2 Thank dexion
London, United Kingdom
“A great experience to be had... ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Allow me to be honest and upfront from the outset. I do not enjoy Morrocan food however I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Kniza. Riad Kniza is a hidden gem among the hassle and bustle of the old city. This in itself can pose quite the challenge when attempting to seek out such a treasure. Thankfully we advised reception we were on our way and they sent out one of their colleagues to greet us at the closest taxi drop off. As aliens in foregein lands we truly appreciated the gesture. We then got to enjoy an ad hoc tour of our surroundings followed by an breathtaking walk around the Riad itself. I did not enjoy the food but the dining experience was gold and our host of the evening welcoming and friendly. Dinner is accompanied by traditional Arabic music and overall experience provided a genuine sensory indulgence of what Morroco has to offer.

New York City, New York
“Just outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

Dining here was a great experience. It is a luxury Riad, so seeing the building and furnishings was a treat for us. But we came to eat.
There were five courses that we thought were reasonably traditional. Vegetable soup (Harira?) was followed by an exquisite Bastilla - chicken and almonds in a flaky pastry with a dusting of icing sugar. Salads (8 or so small dishes of good vegetables) and small rolled pastries with fish, chicken and beef were next. Then tagines - chicken and lamb - and strawberries on a super thin pastry with cream to finish. Everything was between very good and excellent. Service was truly first class - always there but never obtrusive, and always extremely polite and friendly.
With a couple of bottles of respectable Moroccan wine the bill for three came to 1800 Dirhams. That may seem expensive by local standards, but we saw it as very good value for what ate and experienced.
It seems to me you wouldn't be reading down this far in the review if you are not interested in food and eating well. That being the case, do yourself a favour and go there if you can.

1 Thank WillWaWa