New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Cafe du Livre

Cafe du Livre
Ranked #162 of 760 Restaurants in Marrakech
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
San Francisco, California
“A good place to rest, eat, and drink.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Cafe du Livre has excellent food and drink selections and is a great place stop and relax. It's clean, friendly and spacious while still feeling cozy. After a long day of sights and wandering through the Jardin Majorelle, we ordered three meals, appetizers and drinks and were happy with all. After our meal, we stayed for an hour more, just relaxing, it was that comfortable there.

Food: Great variety of Moroccan and non-Moroccan fare. We had a chicken couscous dish, a Croque Monsier (they serve pork!), a chicken sandwich and a great salad. Liz, co-owner, mentioned tinkering with the menu to provide new dishes. They even had gluten free options.

Drink: Cafe, fresh juice, etc. Cafe du Livre is also one of the few places that serves alcohol.

Price: Reasonable.

Space: The ambiance is relaxed and air-conditioned. There's a tabled eating area leading into a bar and a section of soft couches and of course, books (livre=book). The crowd was a mix of locals relaxing at the bar, visitors enjoying a meal and individuals reading and drinking coffee in the book section. We took a cab from the Jardin but it was easily walkable from where we were. It's located next to the Hotel Toulousain which is well known to most drivers.

Notes: We didn't experience quiz night (Monday nights) but it sounded like good, clean fun.

Other pluses: Open late. Free Wifi.

• Visited September 2013

Saint Julian's, Malta
“Café du livre rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Café du livre is definitely one of if not the best café in Marrakesh. In my 2 years living nearby I pretty well much visited every week. The menu is varied offering Moroccan and international drinks and dishes. My favourites are the amazing salads and indulgent desserts. More often than not I went just to soak up the chilled, friendly atmosphere and for quiz night - a definite highlight! It's also nice and bright and airy now it's under new management. Liz and Youness will always make you feel welcome whether you're just passing through, just moved to Marrakesh or a local. They will also offer you the benefit of their knowledge of the local area whatever you're into.

• Visited July 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great food, nice chilled out atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We came for lunch on 31.08.13 and it was great, especially the chips (frites) which my wife loved.

The wine, Gris, was lovely.

Free wifi is handy and the happy hour is 1900 to 2100, Tuesday to Sunday (which is a bit worrying as according to the website it is closed on Sundays). We wanted to come for dinner tonight, but didn't as website said you were closed, so opted for Kafe Souk.

Will come back though and recommend it.

Visited August 2013
Yassine M, Owner at Cafe du Livre, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for visiting Cafe du Livre! We're glad you enjoyed it!
I just wanted to let you know that the cafe is under new ownership, and we are now open 7 days a week. We're working on updating all of our online information. Sorry for the confusion!
We hope that you make it back in to visit us again.
Marrakech
“Cafe du Livre revisited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Since my first visit to Cafe du Livre there have been some changes. It has changed ownership and Youness and Liz, the new owners. have cleaned the place from top to bottom. It looks brighter and cleaner, the air conditioning and fans work and the atmosphere is much fresher than before. The menu has been added to and there is a now a wide variety of dishes to choose from. I always feel welcome, whether I want to eat a meal or just have a drink and make use of the free Wifi. I can choose from alcoholic or non-alcoholic cold drinks at some of the most reasonable prices in Marrakech.
I have also made use of the library, swapping books and reswapping as I finish them.
The highlight for me, apart from the ever friendly welcome, is quiz night on Mondays. Liz always puts together an interesting, if sometimes challenging quiz and my fellow quizzers and I invariably have a lot of fun. It is competitive without being over serious.
It reminds me of an English pub, my local where I can go and sit and do my own thing, or if there are people I know, have a chat with the regulars.
If you are looking for a place to go where you can be sure of a welcome, some good food that is not traditionally Moroccan at a reasonable price, Cafe du Livre is the place to go. It is directly behind the Carre Eden shopping mall that is in the process of being completed in the street running parallel to Avenue Mohamed V, at the Rue Sourya end. It is inside the Courtyard of Hotel Tousanne. There is a pavement sign pointing to it, but it is small so look out for it.

• Visited August 2013
Casablanca, Morocco
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Café du livre is a great place to come for any occasion. Live Music, Monday Night Quiz , Just for a beer or a tea - there is always a welcoming and friendly atmosphere and something for everyone.

• Visited August 2013