“Nice sandwiches and salads”
Review of Cafe du Livre

Cafe du Livre
Ranked #227 of 951 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Stopped here for a late lunch, the service was prompt and friendly and the food good, salad well seasoned and the chips excellent!
Our waitress was very friendly and helpful but didn't bring change until reminded to, she assumed it was all for the tip (it was not). The amount of the tip is for the customer to decide, not the staff!

Yassine M, Owner at Cafe du Livre, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

I'm so happy that you enjoyed the food at Cafe du Livre! It can be quite hard to find vegetarian dishes here, so I'm glad you found us!

I'm also very sorry about the situation with your change, and happy I was able to catch it as it happened and get that sorted out. I've spoken at length to the waitress to make sure that this does not happen again in the future!

Thank you for taking the time to add your review. It is greatly appreciated! -Liz

Reviewed May 9, 2013

The food is decent, They serve cheese and bacon! (enough said if you've spent any time in Morocco) the drinks are fairly average for the price, but this place is a MUST for expats, especially the quiz nights on Mondays. This costs 30 dirhams, but you have a chance to socialize with other English speakers over the course of 100 questions, plus the snow-ball question, so if you're clever the night can pay for itself. I was recommended here and it's been a huge asset, I've met so many people and friends of people, etc. though coming here....

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I'd been living in Marrakech for about a month before I found Cafe du Livre, but six months later barely a week goes by without me returning. The food is very good, and utterly fantastic from time to time (in particular when owner Liz makes the special) and the atmosphere is warm and friendly. The highlight though is the weekly quiz night, every Monday at 7:00pm. Both regulars and passing travellers join in what can often be a very spirited game. Pie for the losers, wine for the winners and the chance of winning a couple hundred dirham means the evening is always fun and exciting. If you're in Marrakech on a Monday evening, then CDL is a must.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was incredibly disappointed when arriving at this cafe. No atmosphere, no welcome. The coffee was OK. BUT when it came to pay two of us were brought no change at all - the waitress assumed we were leaving her a 30% tip. When we asked for it back she gave us half with very bad grace.
Go somewhere else.

I would like to take a moment to apologize on behalf of my staff for the regrettable incident with your change! I can not apologize enough for this having occurred. I have spoken at length to my staff about promptly returning all change to the customers, and not assuming any part of the change left is a tip.

Again, I apologize for this unpleasant experience and will make sure such things do not occur again in the future. -Liz

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Cafe du livre is the perfect place to hang out at night in Marrakesh and have a beer. The staff is friendly, the room is beautiful. Go there!

1  Thank Moritz B