“I can’t recommend Riad el Wiam highly enough!!!”
Review of Riad El Wiam

Riad El Wiam
Ranked #227 of 1,193 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I can’t recommend Riad el Wiam highly enough!!! William and Khansa are the ultimate hosts and go out of their way to ensure that you’re comfortable and make the most of your stay.

The Riad is INCREDIBLE and the pictures on line don’t do the décor justice, it’s far more beautiful than the photo’s and they don’t convey the attention to detail that each room has. The décor for each room is individual with thoughtful finishing touches that you would expect from a 5 or 6 star hotel. The pictures and website can’t convey the calm serenity that you find in the Riad after the hustle and bustle of the Medina and the roof top terrace and new Jacuzzi were welcome additions.

Each room has a huge, comfortable bed which invites you to have a good night sleep and you feel like the bathrooms are too beautiful to actually use!! The small things make this Riad stand out such as the welcoming homemade treats in your room (divine), the afternoon tea with homemade treats, complementary toiletries, bottled water which is replenished each day….there are too many to mention.

The Riad is little more than a 5 minute walk from the main square and very easy to find. We had a wonderful time exploring Marrakesh and William and Khansa were really helpful in recommending places to find the best prices for shopping and restaurants. We ate dinner at the Riad on our last night and I can’t explain how exquisite the lamb couscous dish prepared by Khansa was; it was hands down the best meal we had in Marrakesh!!!

I organised the trip for 8 women and Khansa took the stress out of the whole process as she organised transport to and from the airport and also arranged for us to have a guide to show us around the Medina for half a day. I can’t recommend having a guide highly enough, as it was wonderful to have an insight into the history of the Medina, daily life and culture. He was very patient with us and I don’t know many men who would be that patient waiting for 8 women to stop and shop!! Khansa also arranged for the same guide company to take us to the Atlas Mountains for a day trip which we all enjoyed and it was lovely to get out into the countryside and see the Berber villages. We walked into the mountains, which wasn’t for the faint hearted but the Berber guide was very patient with us and ensured that we were all safe and comfortable. All of the above additional costs were very reasonable and I’m just sorry that I can’t remember the name of the company that they used as I would recommend them without hesitation.

We’re already planning our trip back and without doubt we will be staying at the Riad el Wiam.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrsNips

Reviewed February 18, 2010

William and Khamsa were the most lovely hosts and couldn't have been more helpful and kind with suggestions of where to go and eat etc. and arranged taxis for day trips and even got our bus tickets for onward journeys.
Their Riad was simply amazing and far more spacious and luxurious than others we had seen - and the price was brilliant! It had been completely refurbished to such a high standard with beautiful carvings, moulding and tiling everywhere and the bathrooms were wild!!
Breakfast was far more that one would expect with eggs, pancakes, fresh fruit, yoghurt, bread and endless coffee or tea all served in the beautiful open plan dining room complete with heaters for cold mornings! Up on the roof, you could relax on sofas or bedchairs and even try a steam room if you w ished. Unbelievable to think that all the noise and mayhem was going on outside the Riad as you couldn't hear a thing and it was like being in an oassis! Quite definitely a place not to be missed!!
We expect to see them here in Bath one day to repay some hospitality...
Best wishes, Ali and Ian

Reviewed February 15, 2010

We had a wonderful 3 night stay at the Riad El Wiam and were very well looked after by William, Khansa and their staff. Nothing appeared to be too much trouble when we needed some guidance and recommendations. The Riad itself has been beautifully renovated to a very high standard and the rooms very comfortable. Would not hesitate to recommend to any visitors wanting to stay in the old part of the city.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

Riad el Wiam is a beautifully appointed Riad (traditional type of B&B) right in the heart of the medina of Marrakech. Although a little tricky to find for the first time, the Riad itself has been beautifully decorated and finished with some of the most terrific staff I've encountered.
A real pleasure to stay there and a little oasis of calm from the bustle of the medina, highly recommend this to a traveller looking for something a little different from a regular hotel with fast and easy walking access to the souks and stalls of Marrakech

Reviewed February 14, 2010

We stayed at the riad for 4 nights and had an amazing time. The owners, William and Khansa have created a wonderful retreat in this enchanting city. When we arrived Khansa showed as around the riad and provided mint tea while she talked us through how to get to important sights in the city. Breakfast was always served promptly by the lovely women who looked after the riad and although they don't speak much english they were always very helpful and friendly. The riad is clean, warm and lovingly designed and decorated.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this place to anyone looking for a perfectly placed, comfortable and relaxed retreat in the old town of Marrakesh.
- Also, some people have mentioned the dark alley leading to the riad. As the medina is labyrinth of streets this has to be expected, but not once did I feel unsafe around the area of the riad. The dark alley way in reality is a 2 metre covered walkway which leads into a brightly lit square where a guard waits every evening to let guests into the riad.

Reviewed February 8, 2010

We stayed in the Riad for 4 nights and had a great time. Khansa was really welcoming and she really knew the area well. The Riad was really well modernised, all mod cons but with a traditional Moroccan feel. The breakfasts were fab, a great way of setting yourself up for a days sightseeing. Plan on going back later in the year, the nights are very cold in January!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Initially we were pretty pleased with our 3 nights here. Despite poor breakfasts that were cold 2 out of 3 mornings - decent sized rooms, helpful staff and a Jacuzzi meant it seemed overall a good choice & worth the extra 20 Euros a night compared to previous Riads we had stayed at.

But that was before we had received our bill! Despite not being told of any charge, 35 Euros had been added for use of the Jacuzzi (about 1 hour in total). When I complained I was told the price was listed in a folder I had never been shown or even told existed (& neither had the other guests I asked). But as they agreed to take 14 Euros off the bill I left it at that. I even sent a "thank you" email when I got home as we had enjoyed our trip and felt these problems were not too serious.

I then wrote a review of the hotel when asked to by the booking website I had used. BIG MISTAKE!!

I thought my 7 out of 10 rating was reasonable as was my listing of the Riads many good points & an overall “would recommend” verdict. If anything my 3 "excellent" and one "very good" category ratings were a bit over generous. I also said (politely) I was however unhappy about the breakfasts & extra charges and hoped the owners would resolve them as I would like to return to an “otherwise GREAT Riad”.

For this I received FOUR phone calls from the Riad owners & a nasty insulting email that basically called me a liar. I was also accused of trying to “assassinate” the Riad's reputation (7/10 + "excellent" + “would recommend” = “votre commentaire assassin”??). Furthermore, my review was eventually published with all my comments removed, leaving only my overall score, and even then hidden near the bottom of the sites list of reviews even though it was otherwise clearly most recent first. None of my comments were rude etc. or in any way inappropriate!!

So I am left very annoyed that a pleasant break was spoilt by a nasty & very personal attack, just for making some honest criticisms of this Riad. I am also dubious about the tactics that seem to have been used to ensure only positive comments are posted.

I am more than willing to supply copies of my deleted comments & emails sent/received to anyone (including TripAdvisor) who wants to make up their own mind about whether they were inappropriate (use this site's facility to contact me). The Riad's owners seem unwilling to allow this even though, rather ironically, they actually encouraged me to post a review for them after receiving my “thank you” email!

So overall, an otherwise pretty decent Riad NOW has to be definitely NOT RECOMMENDED because of poor value/dubious billing and totally unacceptable owners actions. Not even a trip to a perfect Riad would withstand the treatment we received intact – and this one is not even close to perfect.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
willyMarrakech, Propriétaire at Riad El Wiam, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2010

We are very glad to have the possibility to answer to your comment. There was a misunderstanding about your bill. We would like to explain exactly what had happen :

Concerning the Jaccuzi : the price announced is 7 euros / person / 30 mn. You have had 2 jaccuzi for 2 persons and one alone. That means 5 jaccuzi at 7 euros. You weren't happy about that at the moment to pay the bill, so we have made a commercial discount of 2 jaccuzi (14 euros).

The note you have given us on the cheking website was honorable, we do not have any problem with that. We were disappointed by your comments, mixing the price of the transfert from the airport, the local taxes and the jaccuzi. We have tried to call you several times with no success to explain you and end off to this misunderstanding. That is why we explained the situation to the cheking website by email giving us all the details of our billing. We suppose that is why they erase your comment.

We are very sorry for this stupid misunderstanding and are open to discuss and explain this to you by email or phone.

You are the first client which is disapointed about our prestations, we really take care about that, and are very sorry that occurred.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Riad El Wiam.