“Excellent Riad, staff and location!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riad Diana

Riad Diana
Ranked #59 of 508 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent Riad, staff and location!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We travelled as a couple and from the moment we arrived we were instantly made to feel at home. We were greeted by Ahmed who as people have mentioned before cannot do enough for you during your stay, from preparing breakfast each morning to advice on excursions and day trips, he was magnificent. Ahmed and Boujemaa both spoke fantastic english so communication was not a problem at all and I cannot understand previous trip advisor comments claiming they did not. Overall these two members of staff were exceptional and made the riad feel like home during our 7-night stay.

As said in previous review the bedrooms were very clean, sheets and towels changed on a daily basis and the decor of the riad was exceptional. We opted for the meal on arrival which was of great quality and what we wanted after a long flight. I would also recommend the airport transfer on arrival as although it is a little on the expensive side, I imagine bartering for a taxi and trying to locate the riad being nothing short of a nightmare especially since our flight arrived at 8pm and we just wanted to get to the riad as quickly and smoothly as possible: the transfer ensured this.

On the last day of our visit we also indulged in the riad's hammam and massage service, which I feel is a must for anyone staying here, the hammam is an experience within itself and one I will not forget and the massage was 1st class.

Genuinely sad to leave, we would recommend this riad to all.

1 Thank Costarelli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

From the moment we walked in the door Boujemaa told us 'this riad is your home', and we were sure made to feel that way. The rooms were adorable, clean and cool, and the pool and rooftop lounge area were a great way to spend a lazy afternoon. The staff were incredibly helpful - from making restaurant reservations to even giving me some of their own personal hair shampoo because mine had run-out. To top everything off - the lunch was amazing! My husband and I had dinner at a 5 star restaurant the night before we had lunch at Riad Diana, and it didn't compare - dining at the riad is a must!

The experience was 10 out of 10 for us.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Let me begin by saying that the review that precedes my own is very harsh and, I feel, unfound - this is not a 3-star Riad; the vast proportion of well-thought out reviews here are much more representative.

We stayed in the Riad for 4 nights in July and it is safe to say that it was the best part of our Marrakech experience. The location is the main selling point, being only 5 minutes from the main square and about the same distance from other attractions such as Dar Di Said and Bahia Palace (I would recommend cutting round the back of the Riad and using this road when going either way as we found the sellers to be slightly friendly and it also has a wider selection of restaurants).

The second major plus are the staff who are extremely willing to please and very friendly – Boujamaa and Ahmed speak very good English (I was offended for them when I read anyone suggesting otherwise). Sabria and the rest of the team always made us feel very welcome – they all cannot do enough for you and offer a 5-star service. From the welcoming mint tea and explanation at the beginning of our stay until allowing us to relax in the Riad the entire final day after check-out, we were very well looked after.

You can see from the pictures that the Riad is nicely designed and I will reiterate what everyone else has said about the feeling of calm that the place exudes, in contrast to the rest of the Medina. The rooftop terrace is especially lovely, and was grossly underused by other guests when we were there - it felt like a private accommodation at times.

We stayed in Khamsa, which is the smallest room on the roof but it suited us very well as we had easy access to the terrace seating to relax. Bed was very comfortable, it has a good shower and the air con was superb throughout our stay. Our room was cleaned, with sheets and towels changed, each day.

We took breakfast on the roof because it is such a lovely setting to wake up to. It is carb heavy, but this is a traditional breakfast that will be found in most Riads - the fact that it changed each day kept it interesting.

I would also recommend sampling Sabria's cooking, we did this on our first night and it was the best food we had all holiday - the Riad also provides alcohol.

The other services provided by the Riad are all of a very high standard – we experienced the cooking class, mountain day-trip and hammam and massage:

The cooking class comes highly recommended, if only to experience a visit to the real markets of Marrakech to get your ingredients (the chicken is particularly interesting...). Sabria knows her food and was also kind enough to dictate many of her own recipes for us to write down and take home to try ourselves.

Our trip to the mountains was a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle of the Medina - there are two options, group or private driver - we initially opted for the former, but then realised that the price difference was very small and appreciated the personal service we received. Our driver spoke excellent English (as well as 5 other languages) and was very proud of his country - he entertained us (with a quiz and riddles!) and taught us a great deal about Morocco - I think he was a lucky find, but he works for the company the Riad use. He stopped off at local spots along the way to show us bridges and places of interest, and offered to stop whenever we wanted to take photos. We also climbed the mountain to see the waterfalls (this meant hiring a separate guide for 150dh/about £10 to see three waterfalls, which was a 40 min walk each way).

The hammam and massage on our last day was an interesting experience - the massage was one of the best I've had - the hammam is more subjective...

Additionally, we took the airport transfer, which was well-organised - this is also something I would recommend.

I booked the Riad on the strength of the trip advisor reviews and I hope that others do the same - I have tried to be thorough with my review as I was constantly checking this page in the run up to my holiday for tips etc. It really is a great place to stay and I can't recommend it enough.

3 Thank robdrane
Totnes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

Riad is beautifully presented and clean as others have said. If you want to experience Marrakech it is slap bang in the middle of The Medina, but you would hardly notice this once inside the Riad, it's very quiet, a positive retreat.

Our French is poor, and we chose this Riad because it was offered via British Airways, and the website was presented well in English, but upon arrival we found that there was very little English spoken at all.

Personally I'm not a fan of sweet pancake and slabs of cake for breakfast and merely describing a boiled egg proved difficult...to the point where another guest exclaimed she felt like getting up and putting the egg in a pan for them.

Another guest asked for a different flavour yogurt and was told they had no other yogurts available which seems very poor for a hotel offering breakfast, indeed fruit was limited too.

I did get my eggs though and was grateful for them.

Pluses:
- location in the Medina
- quiet
- staff polite
- clean
- spacious room with living area (on first floor)
- pleasant roof terrace
- great beds!!!

Negatives:
- for the price a very limited choice for breakfast
- no tea or coffee making facility, we has to buy a kettle from Carrefour!
- air conditioning seriously naff, which is poor when temps are high.
- Only 3 sun loungers which means when Riad is at capacity you feel guilty for hogging them for more than an hour.
- plunge pool, whilst decorative, is right by front door and in breakfast room...?
- lack of English speaking staff meant we didn't book their cookery course which sounded, from the English brochure they provided, really interesting.

All in all comfy for a couple if days...but not truly amazing, we left early feeling disappointed.

Room Tip: Try to book a room on first floor otherwise you are stuck in tiny 'shack' on roof or room in...
3 Thank Quinonostante
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I'll do my best to be brief and informative. First, when visiting Marrakech get the DK Books "Top Ten" for Marrakech. It has the "Top Ten" places to see, eat, visit, etc. It's small, so it fits in your pocket. Also, it has a map to help navigate the maze of the town. You can walk most places. But, you can't walk from the airport so you need a cab. But, there are no roads in front of Diana, so you need to hire a guide to walk you to the hotel (roughly a 1/4 mile) once the road ends. To avoid the cab and guide, the hotel will arrange for someone to pick you up at the airport and get you from point A to B. But, our hotel guide was over 30 minutes late and we started the visit with a little anxiety. Diana is down various alleys, not well-lit, but not dangerous that we saw--it's just off-the beaten path. The hotel was designed nicely, but it had quirks that knocked down our rating and subtracted from its veneer. The rooms were dusty/dirty (fixable). Also, a sewer smell emanated from shower and sink drain. We didn't flush anything, it was that way when we got there and closing the door didn't help. Employees were nice about it, but shrugged off smell problems, not that they didn't care, but they indicated it was steady and not much we could do about it. We ate dinner on the roof which was good. He had a small kitchen, but it seemed like he spent all day cooking to make a tasty meal. Big thanks to our cook. But, we were avoiding all fresh produce and half of the meal consisted of fresh produce; so we had to leave some delicious looking food on the table. Breakfast was coffee or tea, rolls, jam, and a crepe of some sort--simple and plain. While the hotel was off the beaten path and there was a big door at the entrance, we never felt in fear of theft at the hotel or anywhere in Marrakech for that matter. The first floor pool, was about the size of a jacuzzi, but it was very cold. We cooled off from the hot day, but could not swim or dwell--too cold, too small. The wi-fi was spotty and slow. Overall, I'd score the place poor due to aforementioned items. For the price, in Marrakech, I had hoped for more. I'd recommend a place closer to a road so a cab can take you to and from airport. I'd also recommend an outdoor pool so you can swim with the family. Not sure how you can check other places wi-fi in advance, but reviews might help. Lastly, I'd see if you could find any extras for the same price or cheaper. We wanted to like the place, but the negatives outweighed the positives.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Marcotripo
Riad_Diana, Owner at Riad Diana, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
First of all I would like to remark that the client stayed at Riad Diana in August 2011, so he wrote this review 1 year after his stay.

Referring to this review, I would like to give some advices for all visitors of Marrakech looking for a place to stay: You have either the possibility to stay in a big hotel or resort in the new town (or outside Marrakech) or in a small private-owned and family-managed guest house in the old town named “Riad”. In a hotel you will have direct taxi access as well as mostly outside pools. In a Riad, this is impossible because they are all located in the old town with small alley and pathways. It is also not possible to install a big outdoor swimming pool in a Riad with 5 or 7 rooms. How should it work? Someone who expects direct car access and a big outdoor pool has not understood what a Riad is and how it works.

At Riad Diana, we are very happy to have a nice and refreshing small pool and we are proud to have a cooling system to keep it cool during the hot summer time. We are also very happy to be ideally located only 150 meters away from the main road with taxi- and bus stop and as well only a few footsteps away from the souks and the famous Djeema el Fna place. If you take a Riad closer to the main road, it will be more far away from the souks and the central place.
The easiest way is to call the Riad before arrival and we will pick you up at the airport and bring you and your baggage directly to Riad Diana.

The last think always to remember: Marrakech is a very nice Islamic city with nice people and an very traditional old town. But Morocco is also a developing country located in North Africa! So please don’t expect to have the same technical standards regarding internet, telephone and also water- and drainage system like in Europe, United States or Japan. We are always offering the best and warmest service possible and if you are able to be open for the people, the culture and the traditions, you will like Marrakech and a traditional Riad will be for sure the best choice. If you are note able to accept this, it is better go to an anonymous hotel or resort outside Marrakech or to select another location for your holidays.
Cumbria, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Just returned from a 10 day holiday in Morocco.

We had a room in the Riad Diana for 6 night, but spent 2 nights/3 days in the mountains and desert. We left most of our luggage at the Riad while we were travelling.

The Riad is lovely has previous reviews have said it's clean, well decorated and a great place to stay. Fantastic comfy bed!

The breakfast is slightly different every morning and can be eaten where you wish, served 8am - 10am. If you give notice they will also prepare your breakfast early for you if you have a excursion.

The main member of staff we were looked after by is Said, who always seemed to be working. I can not praise him enough, nothing was to much trouble.

We paid by credit card.

I highly recommend this beautiful Riad.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Finearly40
Sussex, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stayed at Riad Diana in June for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a great location, very near to the main square but still very peaceful when you want to relax and get away from it all. Boujamaa and his team made us feel very welcome and looked after our every request. The decor is tasteful and the rooms very comfortable with air conditioning.

The rooftop terrace is a lovely spot for breakfast, relaxing in the day or dining in the evening. We had dinner at the Riad one evening and it was one of the best meals we had all holiday. We also enjoyed a hammam and massage at the Riad which I would recommend after a hectic morning shopping in the souks.

Overall a great place to stay and would happily recommend to anyone.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple