“Homely and friendly”
Review of Riad Mariana

Riad Mariana
Ranked #169 of 502 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Our ground floor room was peaceful and very comfortable, and the staff, Fatima and abdul extremely helpful. Breakfast on the roof terrace was a delight. We returned here - a bit like coming home - after travelling to other parts if morocco.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
viktortrip, Propriétaire at Riad Mariana, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

thank you Annie and John for your review. We are glad you enjoyed both stays successive at Riad Mariana - best regards

There are newer reviews for Riad Mariana

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This place was wonderful. The rooms were some of the nicest we saw in Morocco, the staff was so friendly and fun, the food was fantastic.
Marrakech can be really overwhelming and this place is such a nice respite from the chaos. I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank neillhowell
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Riad Mariana was recommended to us by some friends and I can't rate it highly enough. The riad itself is cool and peaceful with plenty of space. We stayed in the Sultana suite which was very quiet despite facing onto the "road" and had a great bathroom (although it was a little dark). We had a great start to the day with breakfast on the roof terrace which has lovely views. And a beer by the small ground floor plunge pool was very welcome after a day in the souks. We also used their hamman offering which means you don't need to leave the riad but you probably do miss out a bit on the atmosphere.

Philippe and his staff couldn't do enough to make us feel welcome and we really felt as though we were staying in someone's house.

Room Tip: Keep the window shutters closed so you are not disturbed by the first call to prayer in the morning.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie_Foster
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We arrived asa group of 4 friends to the Riad Mariana and after the hustle and bustle of the city, 40C heat, the Riad is a quiet, cool sanctuary and is simply beautiful. It has a lovely cool centre, superb terrace where you can see the mountains and a central pool to dip your aching feet after a long day of walking. The facilities are excellent- a great big tv in the separate lounge with comfortable sofas, the rooms were large and also comfortable and very clean - I loved our bathroom. There are a few recesses with books which are great to lounge in in the evening. The food provided by the fantastic staff was excellent and our thanks go to them for making our stay superb...The riad is highly recommended, only 10mins slow walk from the medina. They also made us a late dinner and organised a taxi for us, even after our flight was delayed by 2hrs! Excellent.

And if you book an excursion- ask for Mohar the Driver- he was brilliant and we enjoyed our day to the Anti-Atlas and doorway to the Sahara- a must in Marrakech.

Room Tip: We had the whole place to ourselves and stayed in the Amira and Kamila (I think that's what they...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pim D
Reviewed February 11, 2012

A friend and I stayed here last fall and had a terrible experience. We arrived at Mariana after a 4-day tour to the desert. We asked our guide to walk us to Riad Mariana, since we didn't want to have to negotiate the square on our own with our luggage. When we arrived at the riad, the owner started berating our guide for being late (we arrived in the late afternoon/early evening, and had never been told we needed to be there by a certain time). I tried to explain to the owner that 1- we weren't late and 2- to the extent he was expecting us earlier, he should've made that clear to us, since we were the ones who kept asking our guide to stop to let us take pictures on the way back from the desert, so any delay was our fault. The owner kept berating our guide, who then left. After our guide left, the owner also left and my friend and I were alone with the clerk. We decided that we were really unhappy with the unbelievably rude and aggressive way the owner had treated the guide and decided to go stay at another riad. When we told the clerk we were leaving, he started yelling at us, then called the owner, who yelled at me over the phone. My friend and I called another riad, which sent an employee to pick us up. When the other riad's employee arrived, I walked out but the clerk physically blocked the doorway so that my friend couldn't leave. After a brief standoff, he said he'd let her leave if we paid him the equivalent of $20 USD for the 2-minute phone call we'd made to the other riad. I gave him a few coins, which he threw back at me. My friend, meanwhile, managed to slip past him, and we left. I've never been so happy to leave a place. The riad itself seemed fine (what little we saw of it) even though the courtyard was weirdly stuffy and unpleasant while we were there. To this day, I can't get over how badly the owner behaved, and the fact that the clerk basically tried to make us pay him to let us leave. The owner, by the way, did make us pay to leave, since he charged my credit card for our entire stay. Marrakesh is full of gorgeous riads owned by genuinely nice people. Mariana is not one of these.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank AmoBK
victortrip, Propriétaire at Riad Mariana, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

thank you for having chosen and recommended Riad Mariana - friendly -

Reviewed October 30, 2011

We visit the Riad Mariana for 4 nights, from october 20 till october 24. The sevice was great. They offered a transport from the airport and evrything went very good. The arrival in the Riad was a pleasure, with tea on te terras on the roof. The room was exelent and every day there was a good breakfast. They gave me advise how to come in the center of the city and what to do and what not. Every day was a pleasure to stay in this Riad. They organised my travel to Essouira, and because of our early departure they made an early breakfast that day.
I can advise this Riad Mariana for a short, and I think also for a longer stay in Marrakesh.
Philippe and his staf, thanks for evrything!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Absolutely breath taking. As hoteliers, my friend and I stayed for 3 nights at Riad Mariana. Fully air conditioned rooms, a beautiful roof terrace with views over the Atlas Mountains. We were pampered by the beautiful team who treated us as their own family. Sipping chilled rose wine in the coolness of the atrium with its beautiful rose petaled pool. Late afternoon watching the sun go down from the scented roof garden. Phillipe is the perfect host and Abdul was an absolute star with his recommendations and advice about prices and haggling. Would never want to stay in a hotel ever again, this was our own secret paradise. Thank you Phillipe and Family Mariana!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends