“Charming oasis”

Ranked #268 of 1,130 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London
“Charming oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

This is not a grand riad but it is a sensitively and well restored one. It has kind staff and is extremely clean and tastefully furnished.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Budapest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

We only spent 4 nights here, but I wish we could have stayed longer!
This was by far the most welcoming place we've ever been. The staff, Nadia and Ibrahim were as welcoming as one could be. They went much further in service what you can expect. (One night I ran out of cigarettes, so I asked Ibrahim where I could buy some. He practically speaks no English, still he tried hard to explain to me how to find the shop. He kept coming back to me with further details to make it easier for me, even got a map from somewhere. Then he came back again and proposed to go out and buy it for me!) You can come and go as you wish, someone always opens the main door for you. We tested this heavily and had no problems at all, even when arriving late night.

Our room (Balthazar suite) was very clean, spacious, and nicely decorated. (Locks are on both doors, you can even lock the bathroom door if you wish.) Modern air conditioning is installed and proved to be very useful. The room might be a bit too dark for reading as the lightbulbs are dimmed with yellow painting, but this is easy to overcome - if you want to read in the bed just replace the bulb with one from the "living room" area of the room.

The Riad itself was also very charming, at night candles were lit and the radio was tuned to some local music which we liked a lot. The location is perfect, no noise is coming whatsoever, even the street is very calm and quiet. Still, the place is very close to the main attractions in the Medina (15 mins walk). It is also good that there is a taxi station very close, when you need to go to the airport with luggage the walk is just 2 mins.

Breakfast was OK, no big surprise here. Choice is rather limited (different types of bread/croissants, butter, jams, honey, coffee/tea and orange juice, plus some local pancakes). Overall both quality and quantity were very good.
We only had dinner once as we thought in the beginning that 15€ was too much, but the dinner proved to be very good and the portions were so big we couldn't eat all. (After all 15€ is for three courses, you can find the same price everywhere if you go for three similar courses). Drinks are rather expensive, but you can buy everything except alcohol in a shop at the end of the street, which is a much cheaper.

Overall we were very pleased, the place proved to be much better than we expected. I cannot highlight the kindness of the staff enough, this really makes a big difference. We will definitely return if we can.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

The hotel was truly beautiful and Nadia and Ibrahim provided excellent service, going above and beyond what we asked. The only thing is that even with the map they sent we would never have found it. Once you've been shown it's fine, so expect to have to pay one of the young lads hanging round to take you there. If I'd been a woman on my own I wouldn't have wanted to walk back to the riad at night. One possible complaint is that we had a room right on the courtyard, so my boyfriend was kept awake by people talking at night, though after midnight I think it was quiet.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2010

Having always used trip advisor for reviews, I booked a four night stay for me and my partner. We emailed the Riad, to arrange taxi transfers. At the airport we managed to find the taxi, who dropped us off at a main road. We then advised him we had no idea where we were going, to which he sumonsed a man with a wheelbarrow, who collected our bags and beckoned us to follow him. A few alleys along, we arrived at the door where the male tried to charge us 20euros for showing us!

We were met by a female, who showed us to our room. She spoke very limited english.
In the room, we had no lock on the door and no safe. I questioned this and was handed a padlock and chain! Inside the room the sides of the bed were up against the wall. A book advised if you required any food, it had to be ordered 24 hours in advance, and we both had to eat the same meal. The raid would not be responsible for any thefts from the room (very convinient when you supply no safe!).
We were shown to the sunlounger area, but was shocked to see it covered with laundry. The courtyard was covered with a dirty, thick, plastic rain sheet, although it was a glorius sunny day (and weather reviews showed it had been for the previous 3 days and no rain forecast). The fountain was not operating, and the pool was empty. I saw no rose petals anywhere (unlike the lovely pictures on the raids web site). We were also given the main door key, as there would be no security on.

Carrying all our valuables (too scared to leave in the room) we walked around the souks and market. Here I had a snake thrown in my face by a snake charmer, harrassed by dancers (even when we changed direction to get away from them they followed), beggars were on every street, a young child grabbed at my trousers asking for money i moved to the other side of my partner, and he followed. my partner told him to go away, to which the boy shouted and swore at us. I was even approached by a male whilst holding my partners arm!

We had been prewarned about drinking the fresh fruit juice from the stalls (apparently they duilute it with tap water which can make you ill). We wnet to many resturants to walk straight out due to the lack of hygine.

To summarise I returned to the raid, in tears, booked a flight staright home on the same day! I think if anyone wishes to visit, make sure you are staying in a hotel where you can visit the Square on a day trip and just spend the rest of the vacation enjoying your hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank englishsunseeker
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2010

We arrived in the pouring rain, and were glad of the full rain cover to the central courtyard! we stayed in the Balthazar suite, which was spacious and clean, also beautifully decorated with little moroccan details. the only problem was that it was always quite dark in the room, at night, the lights were a bit gloomy, and in the day, the cover was not taken off our 'roof light' so it was gloomy again.
The staff were helpfull and friendly, we had mint tea in the courtyard one afternoon, and stayed there after checkout on our last day to wait for our taxi.
we used their transfer, which was comparitavely expensive, but invaluable as I don't think we'd have found the Riad without being met by Ibrahim! the taxi driver and car were also a taste of luxury compared to most other petit taxis we used! We also had a meal at the Riad on the first night as we arrived at 19h and while the food was notgourmet, and again quite expensive, it saved hassle after a day's travelling and was worth it for that alone.
there was also a terrible smell of sewage by the front door, and occassionally in the courtyard, but never in the rooms, and they would burn incense to mask the smell when necessary.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Torino
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

I suggest this Riad to all the people that decide to go to Marrakech for lots of reasons. It has been the second time for me in Marrakech and this Riad is more beautiful than the first one. We were a group of 8 women and we all are very satisfied of our stay. Dar Balthazar is in a very good position as it is near to the main place. It is very clean and the rooms, above all the suites, are beautiful and spacious. The breakfast is good too and you can have it on the sun deck. Nadia is kind and helpfull.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2009

We stayed here the first two nights of our stay in Morocco, having arrived to hectic Marrakesh very late at night we went to the riad straight away from the airport, the narrow streets led to the riad and it looked like nothing special on the outside, however, opening the door to the riad was Brahim who works there, with the friendliest and most welcoming smile, showing us around and taking us to our room. The staff (Brahim in the evening, Nadia in the day) were great. They made us feel so welcome and weren't intrusive. We had an amazing breakfast by the water feature in the middle of the riad, it was extremely clean and looked better than in the photos. Lovely olive tree and banana plant offered cool shade from the sweltering heat. There were several entertainment/chill out rooms with cosy seating arrangement, card games and books that kept us happy during rainfalls. We stayed in the Artban room (one of the four rooms in the riad) which was on the ground floor. It was quite small, but nice and cool in the room with an excellent bathroom with a big shower.
The roof terrace was nice too but extremely hot during the day.
The staff was helpful and ready with maps and directions.
The only issue for me was that the plunge pool had no water in it when we were there, which would have been nice to use during the heatwave. Also, the Artban room was next to the kitchen so at times it wasn't the most private of all the rooms in the riad. I would recommend perhaps the rooms on the first or second floor for couples.

During our stay in Morocco we came across many people, Nadia and Brahim were one of the friendliest.

I love the place and it gave a true Moroccan experience with lovely decor and style.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple