“Far from the madding crown”
Review of Zamzam Riad

Zamzam Riad
Ranked #74 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have travelled to Marrakesh for several years now to attend an annual trade fair. I chose, for the first time, to stay in a riad rather than one of the hotels close to the conference and am delighted I did so. Riad ZamZam is a tranquil oasis, set in the oldest part of Marrakesh. I arrived early in the morning, was met by an arranged transfer, and taken to the property. Here a delicious breakfast awaited me on the rooftop terrace and later that day I had the most amazing hammam treatment followed by an incredible massage. What bliss. This set the tone for the rest of my stay (along with my 3 colleagues who stayed at the riad too). The staff, without exception, were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble, from preparing early breakfasts, to walking us to and from the transfer/taxi, particularly at night, to arranging dinners at the last minute. I can only highly recommend this gorgeous spot. Congratulations to Marcus and Emma on creating this little peace of heaven.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Tish S

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This was my second trip to Marrakech and first time at Zam Zam and what an absolute treat. A beautiful oasis in a busy city. The food, the hospitality, the quality of the rooms and THAT lighting, shame I couldn't fit it in my bag.
Emma and the team are brilliant and will make your holiday one to remember. When you are lost, hungry or just need a good wash they are on hand.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kate P
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Just spent a long weekend with friends at the Riad and had the most amazing time .... the staff are ALL just fantastic with great attention to detail. The rooms are of a very high standard and nothing is too much if you want to organise a tour of the Souks, learn to cook or arrange a local private band in the hotel with friends .... a must-try experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank harryahmed
Reviewed November 17, 2013

ZamZam is not one of the cheap Riads in Marrakech. But you get what you pay for. (And nor is it one of the most expensive!) There is lovely attention to detail, beautiful rooms, a very relaxing roof space, and excellent service. The first time you make your way through the small alleyways down to the markets (which are themselves more small alleyways), it's a bit twisty-and-turny. But the staff will happily show you the way, and then it's not hard, and quite fun, to find your way back again. You feel that you are really in the Madina, but in a nice quiet part of it, with friendly people around who will always point you in the right direction. We were made to feel incredibly welcome in the ZamZam, even though we were only there for one night. The stairs are narrow and a bit steep - but easy for anybody unless you have difficulties with all kinds of stairs.

Room Tip: We had a downstairs room, which we thought might be noisy in the morning. But it wasn't. We slep...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Emma is a wonderful person and great organiser - she knows so many people and places - we had an amazing time in Marrakesh and she made a lovely tour to the desert possible to a Sahara music festival. Thanks a lot!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Schmuggine
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We arrived, as so many others have said, shepherded by the lovely Faisal. Into a haven of peace and calm.

Its position - yes it is on the outskirts of the Medina which, I gather from comments, some visitors have been surprised about - but that is where 'normality' reigns, where real people live, work and are educated. Where children play in the streets and folk chat to their neighbours. As we wondered around with our inspirational guide Ibrahim (whose conversations ranged from the swinging sixties, Hollywood stars, lessons from the past about Jewish/Moslem harmony, architecture, music...), as both he and Aziz (who took us and collected us from the various places we visited on our own) greeted neighbours and friends, we felt we were part of a 'normal' place, yet within minutes we were in the hussle and bussle of the touristy Medina. I think its position is perfect - not touristy - 'real' life. Yet the touristy parts are easily accessible.

The Riad - sumptuous fabrics, wonderful lighting, beautiful rooms (we had the Palm Suite). Books, soaps, beautiful linen and towels, guidebooks, music playing gently during the day downstairs. The top floor sun bed area is beautiful - shaded for folk like me who hate the direct sun; a sun trap for those whose skin can stand up to it (or so they believe!)

The people in the Riad - all the staff are very friendly, very kind (they looked after me when I was unwell one day), very informative and they make you feel that absolutely nothing is too much trouble.

The food in the Riad - I love food. I am not a great meat eater. I was completely catered for. I enjoyed my little sneaky trips into the kitchen to find out how the couscous was made, where the lovely plates come from, what the spice was in a certain dish. The food was frankly better than much of the food we had outside the Riad. Simple. Tasty. Beautifully presented. And if you want Moroccan tea, it is always there.

Our little party experienced the Hammam and the massages on offer - more than once! Very much recommended.

We enjoyed our trips into the Medina. I enjoyed less our trips to the newer areas outside the Medina. All a bit brash, soulless and, apart from the Jardins Majorelle, I wouldn't waste time if you are on a short trip by venturing outside the city walls. I spent one day relaxing in the Riad and I loved the chance to just sit and listen to the hussle and bussle outside whilst enjoying the warmth of the sun and reading one of the many good books they have.

All in all, it was a wonderful stay at the Riad. Just as you think you might fancy something to do, eat, drink or read, but aren't sure what, somebody is there with the very thing you really wanted. Now that is clever!

And we will be back - and we aren't the sort to go to the same place twice. Thank you Riad Zam Zam and all the team.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2013

I was staying alone with my two young kids at Zamzam so was quite nervous about how it would go but I could not have made a better choice. It was like staying with family. Everyone took such good care of me and the kids. We were given alot of very helpful advice about how to get around and where to go and when we hung out at the Riad, everyone working there seemed to have endless energy to play with the kids. I had a fantastic hammam and massage one night which i would recommend. And the food was delicious. The surrounding area to the Riad is not ideal for young kids but with a pram and a buggy board we got used to it and felt we had the best of both worlds in the end - a quiet sanctuary to retreat to and a world of fascinating hustle and bustle just outside our doorstep. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family