“excellent Riad inside the walled city”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dar Al Hamra

Dar Al Hamra
Ranked #302 of 494 Hotels in Marrakech
Phoenix, Arizona
“excellent Riad inside the walled city”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

ok, so i was reading the other reviews here and felt I needed to review this place. If you are expecting a hotel quality stay this is not your place. This is your place if you are self sufficient and need minimal guidance. So the riad, amazing. truly. I loved this place. We had two delux rooms, (I was travelling with one of my male buddies) and each room was large with a big seating area and private bathroom. The Riad is toward the edge of town but only about a 10-15 minute walk into the center of town. As far as the staff not being helpful, I disagree, he arranged our transfer to and from the airport as well as a private car tour to the Cascades de ouzod. (which are amazing by the way!) If you stay here, I strongly recommend having the riad set up your airport transfer as they are on a side street and very hard to find the first time. The street leading into the actual place is dark and almost creepy, (even for two grown males in the middle of the night) but once inside it was great. so beautiful. Marrakech is such an amazing city, and staying in a hotel seems like it would make you lose a very large part of the experience of the culture. I reccomend this place 100% and would stay here on any return visit!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Clyde_Betts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

I can see why the reviews are mixed on the service. We didn't get much guidance when we arrived, and were left to fend for ourselves when we needed a petit taxi on departure. But this hotel has good air-con, comfortable beds, hot water, good location, and a nice breakfast. And the price is reasonable. So, overall, good value. Just don't expect to find your next best friend running the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Profmeister
Milano
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2010

Beautiful riad near the Medina.
Rooms are very clean and beautiful but the man at the desk are very unkindly
The breakfast is very good

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LucaMarty
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2009

Not too close, not to far from the souks. An authentic neighbourhood experience. My room was huge and very comfortable. The staff were as helpful or as giving of privacy as you wanted. As I was arriving late I asked if a meal could be arranged for my arrival and when I walked into the riad a hot meal was place in front of me before I could even put my suitcase down! Excellent as was the bottle of Moroccan red wine....

What I found interesting was how it was so quiet at night! When you walk out to the main road there is average street noise but back in the riad it was almost silent. I slept so very well.

Breakfast was simple but just what you wanted. I really enjoyed exploring the local area seeing how the locals live.

Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank mrfalafel
LISBON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

Excellent place to stay. Quiet, clean and cozy, ten minutes from the main square, really really friendly stuff. I would definitely stay there again! An oasis in the middle of the medina.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank uena
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

We had a great break at the Dar Al Hamra. The riad is located around ten minutes walk from the Jeema el Fna (main square). The staff were so friendly and went out of their way to help us. The riad is well-maintained and clean and the breakfasts (fresh orange juice, bread, pancakes and jams etc) was delicious. A great base to explore all that Marrakech has to offer and to relax in at the end of the day.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank livabella
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2009

We stayed at this riad on our last night in Marrakech, having turned up on the door at about 8pm, since the riad we wanted to stay in was full. We ended up paying a similar price we would have paid for our original choice (Riad Mur Akush) but the difference in service and comfort made us wish we'd stayed in a cheap hostel and saved the money!

The room we stayed in was very comfortable and spacious, with a great hot shower (first one we found in Morocco that actually worked), but the decor in the rest of the riad is a bit dated. We didn't get the breakfast we were promised in the end, since my partner cannot eat certain foods due to an illness. Everywhere else we stayed in Morocco they made an effort to accomodate this, but at Dar al Hamra we had to go out and buy our own breakfast, as the staff were unwilling to walk the 2 minutes down to road to simply buying some yoghurt and fruit from one of the market stalls. I suppose we were spoilt at Riad Mur Akush when we stayed there the weekend before - which has fantastic service, stunning decor, and is a much much better riad to stay in (and only next door to this one). So i would definitely suggest you go there instead.
Having said all of the above, if it's a party place you're looking for and want to meet other travellers then Al Hamra may suit you better...there was lots of alcohol flowing and chat amongst guests late at night....don't know how typical of a stay there that is though (we stayed on a friday night).

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple