WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Dellarosa Hotel Suites & Spa

Dellarosa Hotel Suites & Spa
Ranked #33 of 266 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
london
“Lovely Boutique Hotel and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed 1 night at this hotel and enjoyed every minute of it, very helpful and professional staff from the time you step inside until you check out, rooms are lovely and of a good size, as it's name says, plenty of flowers and roses in the rooms which was immaculate and clean, swimming pool is a bit tiny but this is not a resort.
Location is great, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for quality accomodation in the city centre at a reasonable prices.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Zurich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The hotel is nice, it's great to have air con, the rooms are large, bathroom was huge, solid safe and a mini kitchen if you want to use it (you need to ask them to unlock the fridge).

The plusses - the staff are incredibly nice and helpful. The doorman would negotiate taxi rates for us, and helped us with transportation for an outing we booked. The ladies at the spa are AMAZING - the hammam was a fun experience and the massage was one of the best I've had. I booked a facial which sadly I had to cancel, but I can only imagine it would have been fantastic. Cannot praise the spa enough. The location is good, we took taxis to the market, and it's not too far from the airport.

The minuses - drinks are expensive (75 DHM) but I guess that's expected because its a hotel, the decor is very dark (I think it's a look they are going for because they don't get much natural light, but it makes you feel like a vampire) and the biggest turn off for me was the breakfast. The first day I ate the juice tasted like watered down orange juice. The second day it didn't even taste like orange juice (it was nasty) so after that I left it alone. At least offer a fresh glass of orange juice at a small cost if you don't want to provide it for free. The scrambeled eggs definitely weren't real eggs, and tasted like they were made with sugar - I took one bite and that was it. Again - why can't they use real eggs? The pastries and cakes were nice, there was 2 cereal options and lots of bread options. For a hotel of the quality it was, the breakfast was a huge disappointment.

I think the hotel has the potential to be really great if they would listen to the feedback from posters below, I'm not the first to complain about the breakfast. It's the small things that make a difference.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank janermacp
Sandhurst
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

After a dreadful 2 days at the Riad Utopia in the Medina it was so lovely to spend our last 2 days in such wonderful, air conditioned luxury. We were welcomed by the delightful receptionist, with tea and cakes, as we booked into a junior suite (only £70 a night on expedia for double room and two bed settees). This was luxurious and spacious, in a relatively good area (Hivernage) and not up some maze of dark alleys (like the Riad Utopia) and a short walk from both the main square and some superb restaurants (Libza, Katsura and Kanyama). We felt safe leaving the hotel and it was easy to find, just off the main road and also within 2 minutes of a carrefour supermarket (handy if we had felt like using the cooking facilities in the suite). All rooms, the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/lounge were spacious and well presented, crockery, cutlery and cookware was provided and the safe was very deep and secured to the shelf. Good facilities included free internet access via own or one of the hotel's two pc's, swimming pool was small but fine and near a bar and sundeck with bar on the sixth floor. Best of all the spa, good value and you get well looked after, especially the ladies.

Room Tip: Book in advance using expedia or other website. This vastly reduces cost.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Berkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2011

Having moved to this hotel as we had an awful experience in RIAD Utopia in the Medina we just relaxed when we walked through into the air conditioned reception where we were warmly greeted with mint tea and delicacies. We had a suite on the fourth flooor with a kitchen (fridge useful but had no intention of cooking!) enormous lounge area, great bedroom and good bathroom.
Having arrived in such a shaken state I immeidately called down to the spa, but they were booked, the lady could tell I was distressed and just said come down now. Bless her she was supposed to have gone home (it was 4pm) but she stayed and did an hour and a half of treatments for me and yes i left relaxed :) I hope the tip showed how delighted I was as she appeared surprised!
Lovely area and easy to walk to places well 15 mins to square maybe? We were happy to walk everywhere as had given up on the taxi drivers from the last place we stayed. Tourist bus was also round the corner. Carrefour supermarket nearby for stocking up on drinks and heven forbid if you wanted to cook....food!
Perfect pace for great restaurants. Had an beautiful thai/sushi KATSURA on last afternoon, out of hotel to left and left onto main road and it is down the road opposite side of road where Pizza Hut is (yes Pizza Hut, McDonalds and KFC they were all there although we didn't go there appart from heading into the McD for a shake but left when it smelt of sewage in the actual restuarant :( )
Free internet available. Pool table, small pool on ground floor with only 6 sunbeds BUT it is in the shade so sort of good, however on top floor more sunbeds for the sunworshipers.
It may have been because of Ramadan but we did hear the wailing very early in the morning.
WOULD RECOMMEND.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Kongsvinger, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one week with my boyfriend i February 2011. We chose the hotel because of the nice price, and did not know what to expect. The hotel turned out to be quite nice! The room was nice and clean, rose petals everywhere on arrival. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the view from the top terrace is beautiful!

There are some cons, which we felt was okay because it was quite cheap: 1. It's a 20 minute walk from the medina. Then again there was always a taxidriver waiting outside, but he just wanted to rip us off, so we walked for most of the time. Good exercise as well! Roads felt safe, no problem! 2. Breakfast buffet was quite small and boring, not much choices, but it had the standard scrambled eggs and morrocan sausages (not porc ofcourse!), croissants and cakes. One morning they had hard-boiled eggs, what a luxury! Didn't like the breaksfast much... My boyfriend enjoyed it, he likes cakes and sweets whenever ;)

The hotel has a gym and spa, we used the gym twice and it was small but okay. Tried the spa once, the massage was very nice, but the cellar-like look was not appealing.

Good hotel if on a budget! If we had more money we would have stayed in a riad in the medina. Much more of an experience! Lover Marrakech, going back for a weekend later I hope!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Line B
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We arrived and were greeted with mint tea and cakes which was a nice touch. The staff also got us a room early which was good but when we got up there it was a twin (should have been a double). We didn't want to wait around so bearing in mind the beds were pushed together, we decided to get on with it. The room was nice with minibar and flatscreen tv- the only thing I could pick a hole in the finish of the bathroom; tiles were poking out and there were stains on the bath.
Breakfast was nice and there was a choice of fresh fruit, pastries, scrambled eggs, olives, meats and cheese.
We had a massage there and it seemed that they are all on par in price. The massage was ok.
The pool was clean and not very busy- although there are only about 6 sunbeds and the sun is only above it for a couple of hours each day.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

Dellarosa has an impressive lobby/bar area & extemely helpful staff, they couldn't do enough for you but not once did we feel pressured to tip. The spa in the basement of the hotel is lovely, everyone gets a complimentary jacuzzi/relaxation session however booking a time slot is strongly recommended, we went down there on our last morning before we had to leave but none of the time slots left suited us unfortunately (our own fault!)

The rooms were decorated daily with rose petals & towels put into shapes, towels & bedding changed daily. Only down point was for some reason every morning we had ants in the sink, which had crawled out onto the benches. Don't let this put you off though, they were very small & clearly coming up through the plug hole (it was a bit slack so I couldn't block the little buggers out!)

We had a large very balcony but it seemed that only the rooms on our floor had these, all the rooms above us appeared to have small windows only (although they may have had balconies elsewhere that I couldn't see!) The TV in the room was all French channels other than Fox Movies & BBC World News (which I'm sure news would be the only thing you'd need the TV for anyway).

The breakfast included was pretty basic - pastries, cereal, fruit, one type of meat & scrambled eggs (although these were cold all 3 mornings we were there). It was acceptable for what we wanted & the price we paid, however if we were there for a whole week I wouldn't of been happy.

The pool area was lovely but it was in shade for the whole day, the water therefore being icy cold. I assume like us most people going to Marrakech aren't going to sunbathe, so this didn't bother us whatsoever. There is a lovely roof terrace on the top of the hotel which is worth going up to just to take some photos, but you could probably take a sun lounger up there if you did want to sunbathe.

There must have been works going on at the hotel while we were there, because there was loud banging from 8am everyday. Again didn't bother us because we were up at that time ready to explore! We didn't hear the banging on an evening.

Another thing to note (if you didn't know this already) is that there are prayers regularly throughout the day, we were woken up at 5.20am everyday! Although they don't last long so you quickly drift back off, and they're quite pleasant to hear if I'm honest :)

General Assistance on Marrakech.....

The hustle & bustle of Djeema El Fna is what makes Marrakech great, however do watch out for the snakes & monkeys, as soon as they "on you" the men demand money, this goes for taking photos too (of anything, they expect money!). I got collared by a henna lady on my first day, I walked off told her I wasn't interested, however she was very persistent & grabbed my hand promising just to "show me the type of thing she can do if I want to come back & get it another day", I naively believed this then she superfast covered my hand in henna & demanded £50!! I refused, walked off, but she kept grabbing me, in the end I think I gave her £5! As long as you take this type of "attention" with a pinch of salt you'll love everything about Marrakech.

The Souks are never ending with lots of really good buys & bargains! Make sure to haggle lower & lower, they will always give in rather than not get a sale, no matter how low you go. I ended up getting a big real leather satchel for 150DH (he originally wanted 650DH!) There are hundreds of good fake sunglasses & converse trainers, again shop around because all souks/stalls charge different prices, you'll end up paying 20D for something then walking 2 mins around the corner to find the same item is only 5DH!

Alcohol can be expensive due to the fact that not alot of places sell it (especially in the main square). We ended up finding a few hidden gems though because of this. Just make sure to ask restaurants/cafés/bars if they serve alcohol before going in. "La Maison de Marrakech" is down a scary alley off the Main Square, we just had a few drinks in here but it was beautiful inside, a really impressive restaurant so if it hadn't of been our last night we definitely would've went back here for dinner.

We done the Marrakech bus tour for 145DH each (approx £12) which we thought was a bargain. You got headphones with translation in whichever language you required, we chose to sit upstairs with the open top as it was very hot. We stayed on the bus for the full tour (1 hour 30 mins), however you can get on & off as many times as you want if you do want to explore each place further, your ticket lasts for 24 hours for this reason.

When walking back to hotel from Main Square we recommend walking through "Cyber Park", it's really tranquil and a nice change from the other side of Marrakech. It was created for teenagers with free outdoor wi-fi throughout the gardens, there are lots of locals sitting there pleasantly on their laptops, or playing guitar.

Taxi from the airport should be max 100DH - We landed at 9pm so they all kept saying 150DH due to "night rate", however he eventually accepted 100DH as we'd read on reviews before going. "Petit Taxi" are small cars, and are always much cheaper than the "Mercedes" taxi's, if there are just 2 of you it is definitely worth sticking to the Petit Taxi's.

Finally a good map is a must! We used it constantly & would literally have been lost without it (we still got lost!) The "Rough Guide Map - Marrakech & Essaouira" is the best one, we got it off amazon for about £5, and the Lonely Guide Morocco/Marrakech book is great, we found alot of restaurants & bars & general cultural advice from reading it.

Restaurants.....

"Namwara" was beautiful Thai & Moroccan food, VERY VERY impressive inside, very romantic whilst also having varied classy entertainment (fire eaters, stilt walkers). Cost was 700DH for 1 bottle of wine & 2 mains, so it's not "cheap" but it was well worth it.

"Marrakechi" has the best views in Marrakech, right over the souks & the main square. We went into the restaurant the afternoon before & reserved a table, we managed to get the best seats in the house right on the top floor in the very corner, we got some beautiful sunset pictures. We were seated at 7.30pm so we got to appreciate the views in the light as well as after it got dark, I would definitely recommend doing the same. They had a peaceful Moroccan band for dinner music, then when it got really late & the restaurant was a bit more lively there were belly dancers (who were amazing, and I've seen a few in my time). Cost was 800DH for 2 mains, 2 desserts, 4 beers, 1 glass of wine & 1 mojito - bargain!

"Riad Omar" is just off the Main Square, we went there for lunch one day & it was great. Very busy with locals & tourists, decor was very traditional with bright cushions & drapes. We ordered a tagine each & they automatically brought out a selection of Moroccon starters (ALOT) followed by a selection of fresh fruit, then fresh mint tea with Moroccan biscuits. The bill was very cheap for what we had, and it was all fabulous!

I hope this proves useful in some way, we can't wait to go back to Marrakech!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple