“Enjoyed holiday but a week would have been long enough”

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #108 of 496 Hotels in Marrakech
Aberdeen
“Enjoyed holiday but a week would have been long enough”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Whilst I can't add a great deal different to what's already been written about this hotel the fact that the staff were so great means I must write something, from the waiters to the security guards I couldn't find fault, so friendly, courteous, hardworking and helpful. (Does trying to speak a little French help? Shouldn't but it was fun anyway). Our room was spacious and kept clean, I'm marking it down though because the water bottles weren't always sealed, we think they were being topped up - from a source unknown but this was reported to the hotel), also I expected my 12 year old to be on a proper bed, not on the settee. Location - Shame there's nowhere to walk to but courtesy bus service was fine and taxis were cheap enough (if a little scary)! Value - well I think we got a fair price but only because we booked up when the hotel opened and Thomson had a good deal on. Food - well this is why I'd had enough after a week, don't get me wrong, there was plenty of it and it was hot but it was.....bland, even in the Italian/Morroccan. We ate out to get a bit of the local flavour, the tagines were like chalk and cheese. I know they're catering for the masses but you can still give dishes flavour without omitting salt/herbs/spice altogether. Also, Iunch was a bit of a bun fight, too small a dining area to cope at busy time). Pool area was OK, a bit cramped and my husband could have done without getting up early to reserve a bed before breakfast but when everyone does it what else can you do? It's up to the hotel to stop it from happening. Would I go back - no, too many other places in the world to visit. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend - no, I'd say stay in the new city at one of the Riads much further up the TripAdvisor list.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank REALLYMR&MRSSMITH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,279)
  • Turkish first
Clwyd
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Am only just home after a week at this hotel. I felt that I had to jump in to defend the hotel after some of the really unfavourable reviews this place had been given by certain people. I wasn't sure what they were expecting as some of their comments were as dodgy as their spelling.
The hotel is located on the outskirts of the Palmeraie district of Marrakech and you're taken by bus to the hotel about twenty minutes or so from the airport. As soon as you walk in to the hotel lobby you are greeted by smiling faces and welcoming drinks while your luggage is taken down to your room for you.
The cleanliness of the room was fantastic with a daily maid-service to tidy up while we were out by the pool or on excursions. The room had an excellent air-con system which was a welcome break from the often searing heat. People, please, remember that you are in Africa and so it is going to be hot! Some complained of a lack of view but again this shows a lack of basic common sense in that they didn't appreciate that the heat creates a haze that obscures the views when it is really hot. On days when it's not so hot you can see the mountains clearly in the distance. The terrain around the hotel is sandy, dusty and flat - just what you'd expect in the near-Saharan landscape. We went on a camel ride one morning, booked via the wonderful Sandra the Thomson rep, and had a thoroughly fantastic trek through the palm trees dressed up in Arabian togs.
The pool area is the centrepoint of the whole complex, in my opinion. It is a wonderful place and thoroughly underused by the guests at night-time. One reviewer suggested a seedy undercurrent to it. Rubbish. People were just being friendly. You can talk with people if you want or if you just want a quiet relaxing time with your loved ones then just chill on one of the many sofas surrounding the pool bar which is open until midnight every night. My youngest loved it there and was fussed over by the bar staff. Every evening was spent by us by the poolside bar as we just relaxed and talked over our day's activities. If you want a bit more noise, just go inside the complex to the main bar or to the theatre's bar for a bit more liveliness. The choice is yours.
During the day, the pool could be a hive of activity looked after attentively by a friendly entertainment team but the activities were not as intrusive as suggested by some reviewers. You weren't forced into participating if you just wanted to chill. And the ones who complained that the pool was cold!!!!! Are you mad????? The first step was cooling, but once you were in it was just what you wanted. It probably felt cold because you've been baking in the heat of the Moroccan sun. There is also an indoor pool on the complex just around the corner from the main outdoor one. Some reviewers even complained about how cold that was which totally beggars belief. I think they totally misunderstood the whole point of it was the fact that it was cooler so that people could have a dip in it to escape from the sun. It's cooler, but not the freezing pool described. There are plenty of sunloungers and parasols around the main pool. If you can't find one, ask and you'll be given one! Or, get up earlier just as people do in every other hotel I have ever stayed in! Even so, this pool is so large you are sure to find a place somewhere.
The wasps have been mentioned a few times, and there are plenty of them around at times but mainly around the drinks dispensers. But the wasps just want the drinks, not you. I didn't see anyone get stung and they are cleared away regularly by the staff who have a blitz on them every now and then. They do tend to go for drinks of Fanta orange. Coke, water, Sprite, lager and spirits drinks are virtually wasp-free!
There is a free-shuttle service to Marrakech with the last one leaving the complex at 7pm. The last one to return to the complex leaves the town's main square edge, by the Koutoubia Mosque at around 5.20pm unfortunately. A taxi ride back to the complex on the chaotic Marrakech roads will cost 150dirhams ( about £12) - reasonable really and much more fun. A visit to the main square of Marrakech is a must, especially at night. We went for drinks in the upstairs section of the bar next to the post office and were amazed by the bustle of humanity down below in the square. The souks are an experience but far from threatening. Just keep your sense of humour, be ready for a bit of banter and take in the experience. I have never felt such a foreigner though walking through them at night. It was just like being on the set of an old Hollywood Sinbad film. If you get the chance, go on a 4x4 Atlas Mountains trip to visit the Berber homes to witness the varied landscape and cultures in this country.
My kids also found the hotel's smallish internet room ideal to keep up with their facebooking! But used it a couple of times only. Each time it was for free.
The food at the hotel was top notch. My kids are really very fussy but they kept going back for more and more. It was varied and delicious. Again, I really don't know what some reviewers are talking about when they mention the lack of hygiene (cold food, flies?) and variety. I really don't. The quality was really high. If you wanted more wine, just ask for a bottle and it will be given!
We also had no trouble in acquiring a courtesy room on the day we left. We were given towels at the reception and a key to a room that was as clean and spacious as the one we had just vacated hours earler.
As you may have gathered, I have nothing but praise for this place. It is highjly recommended and remembering that this is their first summer as an establishment, they have hit the floor running. Go there and enjoy.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
10 Thank HogiaEncil
North Wales
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Just come back from a week at the Riu Tikida that covered the end of July and early August. I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on this site after booking (!) but found the negative reports to be extremely unfair! My advice to you is to ignore them!!!
An impressive entrance welcomes you and from the off this sets the standard. When we arrived very late at the evening there was a welcome drink waiting for us as our luggage was taken down to our rooms for us. Were it not for the fact that we had three tired children we could have also gone for a meal in the main dining room. We took a leisurely stroll down to our rooms through pretty gardens and a fantastic pool area and we just could not wait for the holiday to begin the following day. Our rooms were just as the picture shows in the brochure and the air-con worked perfectly thus ensuring a good night's sleep.
You could do as little or as much as you wanted at this hotel. There were activities ranging from football to aerobics, Arabic lessons and tangine cooking lessons or just simply lying down to soak up the hot African sun........which I did most of the week! The pool is huge ensuring that there is plenty of room for kids (and adults) to play, but also with enough space to let me float in a relaxed and uninterrupted manner. The brochure clearly states that it's recommended for children so those who were complaining take note! However I really didn't think that they were overly-noisy and unruly - I was able to read three books in peace! I think the staff were genuniely friendly with the children.......very approachable and would remember the kids' names to make them feel important and special. It made our eight year old's holiday to be treated like this! The sixteen year old played football every day with a very cosmopolitan crowd of youngsters (and not so young!) and the fourteen year old came with me for a thoroughly relaxing hammam at the spa. There was something for everyone.
There was something for everyone with regards to the food as well. It's clearly described in the brochure as a "smart buffet dining room".......and that's what it is!! With little extras available like rose petal strewn tablecoths, candles and champagne........you've only got to ask! As a vegetarian I found PLENTY to eat and the fussy children were able to experiment and eat stuff they would not normally try from couscous and various spicy meats, herbs and vegetables to a vast array of delicious desserts. But you could always fall back on the old favourites of pizza and chips and plenty of bread.
In the evening we relaxed by the pool bar which was always quiet and peaceful. There was entertainment if you wanted it, but no one forced you to go. We chose not to so we could finish off the day chilling together in the most tranquil of settings before returning to the rooms with the kids. If you wanted, you could spend some extra time on the patio with bottles of wine from the main dining area, after the kids had gone to bed. This was a very safe environment.
There are always two litres of water left for you in your rooms every day. Stick the bottles in the fridge and you're sorted!
After going out on excursions to the Atlas Mountains, a camel ride and visits to Marrakech's old town centre it was ALWAYS a treat to come back to this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank LouiseHNorthWales
North Wales
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Just come back from the Riu Tikida Palmeraie, it was much bigger that we were led to believe.
The down sides were the food got repatitive after a few days,you had to be up before 7am to reserve a good spot by the pool,even though there was a sign saying that reserving sun loungers was forbidden.
The self serve soft drinks despensers by the pool were overrun with wasps or bees trying to get at the sweet liquid,if you were not careful they would end up in your drink,not a place to send young children god forbid you spilt a drink the wasps/bees would swarm around it.
The pool was dirty all the grout lines between the tiles had some sort of black "stuff" in them.The parasols were cheap & nasty,some were new, but not many.
The heat really spoiled it for me did not drop below 40 degrees the whole time we were there above 30 at night,sometimes it reached over 50 degrees during the day!!!
If yoy are asked if you want to go on the trip to the Kashah's avoid it like the plague,what you see is facinating but how you get there is not,it is a 12hr trip but you spend approx 8hrs in a hot 4X4 getting there,and if you get the driver we had it will be much worse,he drives like Miss Daisy.Overall a good place to relax if you do not want much in the way of luxuries..would i go there again.....NO.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We loved our 3 day trip to this hotel. From arriving at midnight and having a cocktail waiting and then being ushered through to the restaurant for dinner - all before checking in - to the large, spacious clean and cool (much needed when its 30 degrees at midnight) rooms. The hotel was tastefully decorated, the staff so friendly and helpful, although large, the blocks of rooms are spread out through lovely gardens. There are the nice touches of "towel art" with rose petals - seeing as it was our "mini-moon" i particularly liked these touches. The pool is huge, but lovely and clean and plenty of room for everyone. We had not done an all inclusive deal before, so have nothing to compare it too, but for us, the food was lovely with lots of choice. Although 6 km from Marrakech centre, it was actually lovely to be outside the centre - a little quieter, and a little more air! And the htel offers a shuttle servce and the taxi's aren't too expensive either. Definitely somewhere we would recommend.

2 Thank TLC75
Leicester
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Just returned from a 10 day stay at the Riu Tikida Palmeraie The hotel is huge but is spotlessly clean, all the staff from the cleaners to the management are very friendly and try to make your stay a pleasent one.
Food is very good with plenty of choice both for breakfast and dinner, however it could be a bit hotter.
The only thing that lets the hotel down is the restaurant used for lunchtime, this resembles nothing more than a canteen with tables without tablecloths and is very noisy.
Our room overlooked the tennis courts and was extremely quiet especially at night and the air conditioning worked perfectly a must as in July as the temperatures during the day can reach the high 40s and at night only drop to the low 30s
Marrakech is a very interesting city to visit. During the day the Medina square is alive with snake charmers, musicians, etc and at night is transformed into a massive open air restaurant (dont be tempted to eat from one of the stalls you could regret it as the food hygiene is zero) The souks are a rabbit warren of stalls and it is easy to get lost but there will always be someone to direct you back to the square at a cost (remember that nothing comes free in Marrakech) A visit to the Atlas mountains and the berber villages is also a must
We enjoyed our stay at the Tikida Palmeraie and would definetly recommend this hotel as a good base for exploring this fascinating place.
Contrary to a previous review Courtesy rooms are available to those on a late checkout

4 Thank travelling2gether
Derbyshire
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Where to begin! We have stayed in several Riu hotels and perhaps as a result our expectations were overly optimistic.
It's not a bad hotel-but it isn't a good one either. It's noisy, a little tatty and to be honest the food does leave a lot to be desired. We are, I freely admit not yougsters being 40s almost 50 in my case and widely travelled.
Our first impression was very good after a flight delay of 1 hour which seems quite usual if other reviews are anything to go by the hotel had kept open the reataurant and we were very gratefull. My first concern was breakfast the first morning - lots of sticky fingers in the communal bowl of conserves - no individual portions here folks and I agree with one reviewer about Butlins as this is how Iwould expect it to be. Dinner that same night was poor to say the least in the noisy, overcrowded "canteen" and I felt it necessary to complain about very undercooked chicken which was actually still bloody- not a good sign however the hotel general manager assured me etc etc.
The food in this hotel is poor in both standard and preperation in our opinion however, we did eat in the maroccan restaurant three times and the italian once just to get away from children screaming - even at 9-30 this is usual at this hotel and whilst the food is ok in these two places it's just ok and the same menu every night does make it a little boring.
We had booked lots of excursions and I am really pleased we did as the only time we sat around the pool the piped music was so loud and the other music at the other end of the huge pool louder still we just couldn't concentrate to read or just relax.
The hotel provides a shuttle bus to the centre of Marrakech but it ceases at 5 so if you like us want to experience the city after dark it's a taxi.
The rooms are large and spacious but on a huge campus so anyone with walking difficulties should take note. The room are not particularly well kept as ours wasn't serviced to a good standard - lots of stains and dead insects never removed the whole duration.
The staff at this hotel are very happy to oblige and cheerfull except for some reception staff. the hotel shop is a waste of time - have you ever experienced a hotel boutique/shop running out of postage stamps for 4 days?
The checkout process is a farce as there is simply not a cat in hells chance of obtaining a late checkout room as the hotel only provides 3. As you can imagine leaving your room at 11am with a 7-10pm departure for the airport requires a place to freshen up and the courtesy rooms available are always late and not available - complain and you will get the manager to provide more rooms - moral of the story here is that. If you compain you get.
The evening entertainment - well least said the better - children as young as two and three occupy the first five rows from 9-30 till close at 12 midnight - so much for the adult entertainment.
How this hotel ever became a 4T+ we will never know or why it appears in a platinum brochure. One thing I did learn from the general manager of the hotel is that RIU hotels are graded dependent upon title. Club RIU is family orientated and dominated. Riu is a little higher grade, Riu Palace is moving toward what we expected and Riu grand palace is the highest standard riu offer - unless you know something we don't?
In short we would not return to this hotel it's not for us.
Sandra and her team however are quite simply the best reps we have yet met and we would like to thank them for trying so hard to make a lack-lustre holiday sparkle thanks guys!

3 Thank nig14