ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
$670
$638
Cancelon
6,100 results
All reviewsmain restaurantmoroccan restaurantanimation teamindoor poolbuffet styleevening entertainmentlobby barshuttle busthomson repsceiling fanthe pool guysplenty of sunbedsatlas mountainsgreat holidaybottle of champagnewelcome meetingall inclusive hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 18, 2010

As everyone states this hotel has only recently opened however they are trying their best to get over varies teething troubles. The hotel excels in some areas but seriously lets itself down in others!

Pro`s
-Very polite staff - always have a smile and try their very best to help.
-Public area`s are very well done - and are classy and comfortable.
-Free courtesy bus is very handy.
-Extremely Clean everywhere.
-Nice pool area.
-Value for Money at the moment.

Con`s
-Place looks like a prison when you first arrive - a bit drab from the outside
-Bedrooms and bathrooms very poor quality - can hear people in the rooms above you and next to you all the time.
-Poor decoration in rooms - poor quality fixtures and fittings - hairdryer falling off the wall, paint splattered over the sink, leaking bath, shower not working problem.
-Terrible smell in the rooms and outside areas - possibly the drains
-Poor quality food in all restaurants - same food everyday, never hot, have to queue for food - a bit like a rugby scrum at times.
-Big queues at the bar most of the time.
-Thompson Rep was only interested if you were booking excursions with him otherwise you were ignored.
-Poor entertainment - very amateur but they try their best

All in all if the hotel sorts itself out this hotel could be excellent but at the moment it is not really to be recommended

Reviewed March 16, 2010

Bad food. Like someone said tastless. I don't think the chefs were proper chefs at all. What made me laugh is the fact that they use single beds together to make doubles and two lots of bedding - very weird. The weather was disgusting and rained a lot of the time. When it didn't, even though the temperature was not very high I managed to get burnt on our second day. I ended up with a bad cough and cold and was glad to get home. Certainly not worthy of a 4*. We were supposed to have had "Premier" service according to Thomson, but could not see what was premier about it. For a 4* we expected to be waited on and not charge around getting buffet food. Even the "speciality restaurants" had the same food and you had to serve yourself anyway. So I couldn't see what was special about it! Dreary and drab place, everything brown and cream, which meant the lightswere on during the day as well as night. I certainly wouldn't go again as I didn't think we got value for money

1  Thank doreronHampshire
Reviewed March 16, 2010

we have travelled quite a lot in the past and always stay at Riu hotels, this hotel is one of the best. We could not fault the hospitality, the food, the staff and the whole ambience of the place. We did not go into Marrakech, so cannot comment on the city, but the area outside the hotel made for nice walks every day. I have never seen so many oranges growing and once the hotel's extensive planting has matured, their gardens with be spectacular. We did not swim in the large pool as it was too cold, but I am sure that come the warmer weather it will be very popular with the guests. We will definately return to Morocco in the near future.

1  Thank grandmabe
Reviewed March 15, 2010

This hotel and all the staff are absolutely fantastic, the attention to detail on the whole complex was just outstanding. I would recommend this hotel to anybody wanting to combine luxury and high standard of service with city experience close by. The free shuttle the hotel provides to and from to the city is a great way of travelling to the sights. The food was great, be sure to visit the Italian & Moroccan restaurants. Spa was fairly average in price but was lovely, i enjoyed a hammam and massage there.
I would go back in a heart beat :)

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ElmaLala
Reviewed March 14, 2010

When we arrived at Tikida we were greeted by the staff in fancy dress and given fruit juices in sugared glasses! It is a very elegant reception area! From there our luggage was taken to our room while we had a wander around! The rooms were large and although we had twin beds not a double the beds were pushed together. My boyfriend found the beds really comfy but I found them really hard! Think I like my creature comforts more! It didn't hinder my sleep though and the rooms were quiet and weren't too hot or too cold. We had a view of the Atlas mountains from our balcony and the walls of the hotel shelter away the road the otherside so much you forget it is there. The rooms were always spotless and well maintained, we never had any faults or problems. The shower was great and definately power shower!! It is a shame that there are no tea or coffee facilities in the room but there is water. There are towels and hair dryer but only one plug socket in the room. There is a safe and lots of cupboard space.
The pool area had ample sun shades and beds however in a strong wind they do take off! The pool was very cold and the slope is very slippery They were fitting handrails and signs up when we left and despite the cold my boyfriend swam in it and said it was refreshing!!!!!
The restaurants were great and was very all you can eat. The main restaurant is very much a dining hall. It is clean and serviced and the staff clear tables very quickly but worth remembering the hotel was not at full capacity so it wasn't overcrowded but I think in the height of the season you would feel like you were sharing tables rather than sitting near people. The food can't be faulted and there is so much choice. The lunch and tea runs pretty much all afternoon so you never go hungry. The cocktails are wild colours and quite strong! But not one for complaining when it is free!
The hotel shop is ridiculously over priced! I wouldn't buy there, buy in town!
The thomson rep John Paul is fabulous and so helpful and will give you the down low and any hints and tips! We did quite a few trips and the camel riding was fab so be brave and give it a go! It's not far and doesn't take long but the camels are looked after and the people are friendly and you get mint tea and pancakes when you finish! If you want to visit the gardens then I would ask the hotel shuttle to drop you off for Majorelle Gardens which are beautiful. It is cheaper and easier to do that yourself. You can get a bus to town and then a taxi or walk to Menara from the Koutoubia if you like but Menara is really a field with a pond. I know it is very important to the people of Marrakech but I would visit it by bus/foot/taxi and then get a horse carriage back. The Thomson trip was overpriced for what it was in our opinion. The Road to Kasbah trip, would be a brilliant trip but we had bad weather. The first 4 hours of the trip we saw nothing due to mist and rain then once we arrived could not cross the river to the Ben ait Haddou and although they said lunch was included we in effect had only a spoonful of each course each. Considering the price of the trip I was dissappointed. Had the weather been better we would have seen a lot more. The drivers spoke no english as they were Berber so mostly Arabic and some french. This meant no guide while you were driving and as I was sat in the back facing cliff face the whole way there I got a bit bored! That makes me sound moany but we paid 1100 dirham each for the trip so I wasn't too pleased to miss everything. Fantasia was magical and worth every penny! Great food, great company, dancers and bands, horses and belly dancing and fireworks! Loved every minute!
Marrakech itself is fascinating and exciting! The sounds and smells and bustle of the main square, djemma el fna and the tiny side roads of the souks!! You have to be brave and give it a go! They always ask for a price too high and are not embarrassed or upset when you counter offer a lower price! The souks at night are much better and more fun but go by day to get your bearings! If you get lost you can always leave the city walls and walk around the edge until you find the next bab (gate) and re enter the medina! People will try to lead you around the souks but they are not being helpful, they want money, just say no thanks and walk a different way! Worked for us! The djemma el fna is busy by day and busier at night! Look for the snake charmers (they want money for photos and will drape snakes on you!) and the monkeys (they want money for photos and will drape monkeys on you!) and the berbers playing drums and the dentists selling teeth and the women telling fortunes in arabic! Actually, everyone wants money off you for photos or for listening even though you aren't buying teeth and can't speak arabic to hear your fortune!!
Cafe Argana does brilliant chicken tagine and you can eat and watch the square fill up and take photos on zoom! lol!! At night the squre is full of places to eat and you can grab a bite at any of a hundred stalls! We didn't eat but it smelt amazing!!
Back to the hotel, the entertainment was not our cup of tea but it was funny the bits we did watch! It isn't broadway, more butlins but it's fun and silly and harmless! It was nice to sit in the bar areas listening and watching but not taking part! There is a little play group for smaller kiddies and a baby paddling pool but not much for the older kids so unless you are bringing other kids with you, yours might be bored.
As others have said the spa prices are the same as you would pay in the UK, shuttle bus does stop too early, the last one back could be a little later and the hotel does not change UK notes with pen or marks or rips on them and does not change notes for coins. You need coins to tip for taxies, toilets, waiters etc. All toilets outside the hotel expect a tip. Also ladies, you are in a country where some toilets are holes in the floor, in the hotel is fine and most big restaurants but cafes and public toilets are not western toilets.
The resort is still getting there, workmen finishing paths and gardening but it hasn't been open long but the work men don't make much nose or mess and don't interrupt your holiday. When finished it will look amazing and the gardens will be beautiful.
There are 388 roooms so although it was nice and relaxed when we were there, height of summer when all rooms are occupied it will be busy but it is geared up for that so long as busy is what you like. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would definately come to marrakech again!

7  Thank JenK23