“A good holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A good holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We booked this holiday as a couple, wanting something relaxing but not overly expensive and to be fair, this is what we got.
When you arrive at marrakech airport don't bother queuing to change your money, you can do this for no commission at the hotel.
When you arrive at the hotel, you will be given a drink and encouraged to have something to eat in the restaurant before checking in, in our opinion, if there are families with young children or older couples, then I would let them check in so that they can get their children settled as it is quite late when you arrive. If you're not hungry, just go and enjoy a glass of wine or beer. By the time you have finished, the check in queue will be down and you will be less stressed by a quick check in with a more personal touch.
Rooms great, beds hard but suited us. Didn't like the toilet and sink being in separate rooms! If you have a poo you should be able to wash your hands before leaving the bathroom but that might be my OCD coming out!
Pool is massive and plenty of sun beds, and we sometimes couldn't be bothered getting up til noon and we still got a bed. It would have been great if there was a 'quiet pool' for us who don't have kids, or if you don't want to be distracted by the great animation team. There are those who get up and reserve beds but if it makes them feel better to have a bed in the same place every day then crack on (some folk are just creatures of habit)
Food good. We tipped 20dh every evening, we always tip when we eat and yes, for the equivalent of £1.70 you will be remembered and get your wine brought over to you, but the service is fab whether you tip or not but I say STOP BEING TIGHT and reward them for the amazing service you will get.
Shocking evening entertainment. Same duo singers outside every night, singing the same songs in the same order. It got to the point where we always new what they were going to sing next! Cabaret room entertainment was butlins stuff and just rubbish, they could do with a pianist or something in the lobby bar.
Souks and shopping was hideous. I hated it but I appreciate people who do like it and you probably should give it a go. Just not for me!
Check out was annoying cos you have to be out by 11am but not flying til 11pm so it's a long day and you get a room for a proxy half hour to freshen up - rubbish, but that's thomsons fault, not the hotels.
Smoking in hotel got annoying, it seemed people just smoked in there because it was legal to do so. I'd understand if it was raining outside! Also, the kids are entertained in the lobby area in the evening and folk just sit there fagging it with all those kids around, just no need and completely selfish.
Sounds like I've had a moan but not really, the hotel was good, we came home relaxed and spent little money - result! Go there and chill out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MrsM65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,178)
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at this all-inclusive hotel at the end of May, and what an excellent choice it was. From the moment we arrived the hotel and its staff are warm and welcoming. We arrived later in the evening, our cases were taken from us, a welcome drink placed in our hands, before we were taken into the restaurant for a full hot meal. We found the rooms in the hotel impeccably clean and always made upto a very high standard, and the several bottles of mineral water popped into the fridge everyday was a nice touch.

The pool and bar areas and the grounds in general were always kept to a very high and clean standard, one tip if you want to grab a good shady spot, then get down to the pool early to grab your spot, that said there is always somewhere to lounge if you get here later. During our stay we tried all the restaurants and can honestly say they all produced an excellent range of foods, with something for everyone.

We tried a trip to the falls on the second Atlas, great day out, you really have to try the little boats that take you within a few feet of the gallons of water falling over the edge!!

All in all we could not find a single fault with this hotel, so much so that we have said it is the best all-inclusive we have ever stayed in, we hope to return next year for another week of relaxation!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve M
Weymouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here in June for 2 weeks with the first week being half term. We were family of 4 plus grandparents. First impressions of the hotel were very good, check in was very quick after being shown to the dining room for an evening meal. The room was very spacious and easily accommodes 2 adults, child and a baby. We were in 5037 and parents in 5035 which we found were nice quiet rooms overlooking the tennis courts and had the sun for most of day. The rooms were very clean and the maids did an excellent job on a daily basis. There is a free digital safe in the room but in respect of facilities thats it.
The pool area is kept very clean, actually the whole resort is spotless, everywhere you go the staff are cleaning up constantly.
The food was satisfactory, we had some mealtimes where it was excellent and others where it fell slightly below standard. My only big tip in respect of the food is make sure that the meat from the griddles is well cooked, I had to leave mine on more than a couple of occasions and in the end I gave up. I think though this is more down to supply and demand (the chefs couldn't cook it quick enough) than a bad chef however if there is something specific that you want the staff will try their upmost to get it for you. They even offered to blend up fruit and veg for our 5 month old who has just started weaning which we thought was really nice of them.
I can't really say any more on the hotel as others appear to have said it all especially deenadee01 whose review I think hit the nail on the head.
Some down sides though:-
*Take a kettle as nothing is available from 00.00 to 07.30 and there are not always kettles available to hire, if it had not been for our flask I would have had a very unhappy baby when it came to his night feed.
*There are NO interconnecting rooms which I believe Thomson has now amended in the brochure. What they offer is 2 rooms next to each other which are supposed to have their own corridor bit and outer lockable door, THESE DO NOT LOCK. We paid £210 extra for these rooms so that we could have the odd evening out with the grandparents babysitting as it turned out we had to move the kids into my parents room and in the end only did this once. When we asked about it at reception, we were told that none of the outer door cardlocks worked due to technical problems.
*Smoking is allowed everywhere except the inner dining rooms and the entertainment hall. We are smokers and found it too much. Due to having 2 children with us we are what I would call considerate smokers and move away or go outside, its not an option at this hotel, there was smoking everywhere. We did bring the subject up with the manager (who is always milling around and available to chat to) and he did say that this was the last hotel that allowed smoking in all areas but it would soon be changing.
All in all I would not quite give this hotel its current 4* rating but its getting there and as for the staff, they are class A at this hotel, you couldn't ask for more helpful and nicer people.
One thing that did upset me was the amount of people moaning about children, I'm sorry but if you choose to go on holiday during school half term then you need to expect to see children running around especially in a resort that accommodated families.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ama78
Glastonbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week’s stay at the ClubHotel Tikida Palmeraie.

Firstly, the staff were absolutely fantastic and could not be faulted. What a job they had looking after so many holiday makers. I really felt they earned whatever they are paid and probably more. A credit and asset to the hotel.

The food was again, really, really good when you consider the capacity of the hotel and it was full when we visited. A great choice of food and as my husband pointed out, we never had an issue with queuing at the buffet. We rotated between the main restaurant, the Italian and the Moroccan restaurants and our preference was definitely for the Moroccan, after all, it is part of the reason for choosing a holiday to Morocco! This was closely followed by the Italian restaurant (for variation). The atmosphere in these two restaurants was definitely quieter and more intimate than the main restaurant, and again, the waiting staff superb.

We found the drinks to be acceptable. My husband did say he found the beer to be a bit flat but the wine was more than acceptable and as I like to nice G&T, my husband asked the bar staff to make it quite strong with a dash of lemon and they were only too happy to oblige. But as we are not big drinkers, there really wasn’t an issue for us.

Whilst it is never nice to be directly asked for tips (WHICH WE WEREN’T), I felt it would be nice to have a general “tips box” at Reception should you wish leave something if you wanted to – which they didn’t have – and the ‘Rep’ said was not expected. My husband and I did want to leave a tip so chose to leave something with the waiter who served us the most and for the cleaning staff (in our room) but still, there must be an amazing number of staff behind the scenes who also deserve credit.

My only problem with the hotel was around the pool and the constant activity and noise. Having travelled to over 40 countries in my relatively short 30+ years, I believe I have a wide experience of holiday and travel. I have stayed in everything from a Travelodge to The Ritz. At this hotel there was definitely a “club” atmosphere and whilst I have never been to Butlin’s, I can quite imagine this hotel was a upmarket version on that. The constant music, loud speaker announcements, games, etc., was at times annoying. Even on returning to my room late afternoon for some peace and quiet, I could still hear the bingo being called by the pool! Albeit we had requested and were given a room as far away from the pool/reception as was possible. Please, it is a holiday and some of us like to relax in between our excursions, have a bit of peace, read a book or listen to our own personal ipods!

I understand the principle of it being a “ClubHotel” and like the idea of activities being available – indeed, I made use of the gym and exercise classes, being very sporty as I am – but please is it not possible to advertise them in better, quieter way? When staying at hotels in Asia they usually post the next day’s activities on a board (which they did have at this hotel) or leave a timetable in your room. A much better idea.

I expect some people don’t venture too far from the hotel but the excursions are to be recommended. My particular favourite was the “Road to the Kasbahs”. A long day and quite expensive but so interesting and worthwhile. I cannot recommend it enough. Again, we were pleased to tip our excellent guide and driver.

All in all a nice hotel with lovely gardens, nice food and great staff but I was more than a little disappointed with the constant noise. It gave me the feeling of being somewhere noisy, chaotic and sometimes a little frantic and I ended the holiday not feeling as relaxed as I would have liked.

Perhaps not the ‘type’ of hotel for me. But I can see how it would appeal to others.

Room Tip: If you have a specific requirement, e-mail the hotel a week or so before you go. We did and were gi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fiona B
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

After staying here June 2013 we had never been to morocco before but wow!!! This is definitely the best holiday that we have ever had! The food was amazing, such good choices I am a fussy eater too. The rooms and the hotel were incredibly clean. I have nothing to complain about. When we went over it was my birthday whilst away, I got completely spoiled by the hotel staff. Everyone somehow new it was and they were saying happy birthday. In the evening the restaurant staff had made up a beautiful table with a candle, rose petals and champagne. I also got a birthday cake from the staff who sang happy birthday. I felt really special. Little touches like that really make this place an unbelievable experience. I will be recommending this to everyone that asks about our holiday.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cwylie93
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This hotel is not one to be missed. The grounds and rooms are spotless, good amazing (who can complain with fresh omelettes and doughnuts for breakfast), drinks are branded not local, cocktails amazing!! We stayed for 7 nights, we have vowed not to return to the same destination on holiday but with this hotel we will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank LauraCunningham
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The review is a bit late but I stayed here in June 2012 with three friends and was a really good holiday. We all thoroughly enjoyed our stay. My friend is a vegetarian and they catered for this by having a whole veggie section. The lunch buffet was very varied and offered different cuisine every day. I would rush back to the hotel if I had the chance. Great for relaxing and chilling out.

Room Tip: Complex was quite big but we enjoyed the walk to our room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends