“Good service from well trained staff. Pleasant stay for a few days.”

ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Ranked #102 of 500 Hotels in Marrakech
Brigstock, United Kingdom
“Good service from well trained staff. Pleasant stay for a few days.”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed for four nights in room 4010, a ground floor room. The room was pleasant enough but the dark brown ceiling made it all a bit oppressive. There were two huge cracks in the walls and the curtains were missing hooks. The linen was clean but not so sure about the blankets, it was cold while we were there so we had the heating on at night so were cosy.
My main negative is the smoking everywhere. By the pool, in reception and in the bar. It's horrible and makes one appreciate the non smoking laws in the UK.
The food was good. Something for everyone. It is a huge dining area and you do feel a bit close to other tables but I'm not sure there is a solution. The Moroccan restaurant was a nice change but the 'Italian' disappointing and the tables were cleared as soon as you put your cutlery down! The main restaurant food really was of a high standard and I fail to see how anyone would not be happy.
We used the spa twice and had lovely treatments although it is quite expensive.
The entertainment was a bit cheesy but such a lovely animation team! In fact all the staff were wonderful.
We loved our ventures to the Jemma el fna and the souks - we just took taxis. 100-150drs. It's a different world but how anybody could visit Marrakech and stay in the hotel I just don't understand.
We booked a short break with Tomsons and it was fine for a short break but I would not have wanted to stay for longer than a week maximum. I'm not sure it was was expected for a 'platinum' hotel. It was fairly basic and not luxurious.

Beautiful gardens and its a shame there are no loungers scattered around the grounds instead of all by the pool.

The curtains all look a bit tatty and the decor is a bit dated in the rooms.

Room Tip: I didn't like the ground floor as everyone walking past could see into the room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jane J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,304)
  • Turkish first
Dereham
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel was beautifully set out in large gardens, and the rooms were a good size and comfortable. They were clean and the service staff always had a smile. If however you are not an early riser ask to avoid rooms in block five as one side borders on the football and basketball court, which does tend to be occupied by dads trying to entertain their children first thing in the morning whilst mum sleeps in.
The food quality and drinks on offer we're good and often better than I have received in other all inclusive resorts, so a big plus there. We did try the speciality restaurants and this is where the hotel could make some simple and big improvements. In essence they currently operate as a smaller version of the big restaurant with buffet service for the food which is themed to the restaurant but nothing you wouldn't have in the main restaurant during the week. The drinks waiters were far more attentive in the speciality restaurants, and I feel if they moved to a waiter end service in these restaurants and offered food which wasn't available in the main restaurant this would greatly add to the whole experience.
Would I come again? Yes I would definitely to Marrakech and I would stay at this hotel although I would like to try a Riad in the centre of town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Crawley, West Sussex
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I cannot fault this hotel. Everything was perfect from the room to the beautiful gardens. Excellent choice of food and drinks. I didn't 'do' the evening entertainment, so can't comment on that. My idea of a perfect evening is sitting on the balcony with a drink and a book with no other sounds than the crickets to disturb me. This hotel fitted the bill exactly. The staff deserve a special mention. They were, without exception, excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and I hope to return there.

Room Tip: It can be a long walk from some of the rooms to the bar/restaurant/reception block. If you have mobi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Grahambear
Brigg, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We choose the hotel from the Thomson's brochure in 2012. We wanted a hotel that was close to the city but without all the noise and hassle.

The Riu Tikida hotel complex is surrounded by a large wall which makes it very child friendly and secure. The large swimming pool area however has no restriction, so young children must be supervised. The hotel is broken up into different buildings, The main reception, dining areas bars and theatre are all within the main building. A Spa and internal swimming pool were close by in a separate building. The guest rooms were in blocks within the gardens, that were built in the traditional Riad style, with a court yard in the centre, which contained banana trees or bamboo plants. Each of the guest blocks were surrounded by beautiful gardens. Ponds containing gold fish were at the centre of the gardens.
There was a separate building which was run for toddlers, with their own fenced play area. Which allowed Mum & Dad a little R&R time.

The hotel was immaculately clean thanks to a small army of cleaners who worked throughout the day to maintain the high standards.

The hotel staff spoke English, German and of course French. I found them to be extremely helpful.There was a small discrete band of security staff who patrolled the gardens 24/ 7. They did there utmost to remain invisible to the guests.

Previous reviews spoke of the food been a little repetitive, which my Wife would agree with, however I have a broader appreciation of food and always found plenty of variety to tempt me.
Glasses of red, rose and white wines were always available during meal times for guests.
The meals were all buffet served, which allows guest to choose the amount of food themselves.
The dining hall and two restaurants were well managed by very helpful staff that were involved in both cooking and clearing away.

In the grounds there was two tennis courts and two ash covered areas to play boules. A basket ball court and volley ball sand pit were also there.

The hotel ran a bus service into the city centre which was popular and had to be booked in advance. There were taxi available just outside the hotel gates, make sure the metre is running or negotiate a price with the driver before hand.

We went on a organised trip to the Souks, which was arranged with the Thomson rep using the local guides. Well worth the cost, as I'm sure we would of been lost for hours without him.

The only complaint I had was the lack of hot water in peak demand times 18:00 - 20:00hrs, possibly a short fall in the solar heating system. Water however was hot again in the morning, so must be a hybrid heating system.

There was no kettle in the rooms for making coffee or tea for early risers like me.

The hotel suited ourselves, as we wanted to be able to retire from the city centre madness every once in a while.

Would I pay to stop there again ? Yes I would !!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Steve W
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Took an easter trip to Morocco and decided on Riu Tikida Palmeraie. We really liked the hotel. The staff as most others say went out of their way to make the stay more enjoyable. The food was a little repetitive but always inviting. We didn't watch the entertainment - didn't have the kids on this trip, but they came every evening, greeting everybody encouraging people to come watch.
Used the tour arranger in the hotel for a trip to the Atlas Mountains, they double booked us on our private tour, but we had a very enjoyable trip, and I bargained the price a little...

Room Tip: We were in room 5115 located on the 1st floor - so no noice from above, but there was a basketball c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Krissigu
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Our first evening was a bit of a nightmare! British Airways lost my 17yr old daughter's suitcase which delayed us and the rest of our coach party, by getting to our hotel an hour and a half late. Our first impression upon arrival was of delight at the hotel. Lovely open space and decor and very friendly greeting with Mocktails all round. The hotel staff were impeccable throughout our stay, there was always something to do for kids. Although the food was very good, it did get a little repetitive towards the end of the stay. I would recommend All Inclusive as it really does save a lot of money. The rooms were immaculate and the staff were all very friendly. Trip to The Atlas Mountains and local Souks are a must.

Room Tip: Request ground floor rooms if you are not too god with stairs, although there are not too many, ther...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Flying back to the UK tomorrow after spending two weeks at the Riu hotel. If ,like us, you have stayed in many Riu hotels before, then you may find this one slightly different.
Don't get me wrong the usual Riu standards are all here, good choice of food and drinks, very helpful staff and dodgy nightly entertainment but the "buzz" that surrounded other Riu establishments was slightly lacking.
Obviously there will be differences, due tonot being on the coast but this hotel is more of a base from which you go and explore rather than somewhere to drop your bags and make home for two weeks.
If you are after a break with a bit of local culture thrown in and added sunshine then this hotel is for you, the memory of the souks and main square by day and night (must see the transformation take place between 1700hrs - 1900hrs ,fantastic) will stay with me forever. ( free bus service provided by hotel)
The hotel is spread over a large complex which may be the cause for the lack of atmosphere on some occasions.
Would we come back again - yes but for a shorter stay followed by a few days on the coast.
All in all a very enjoyable experience but one that threw a few spanners in the works but , hay your on holiday, ENJOY!

4x4 Atlas Mountains - Good (we brought out from the UK some biro pens as gifts for the children we met , which went down a storm).
Souks tour - Good (be aware that your guide may introduce you to a pharmacy outlet who's whole purpose is to sell you creams and oils for body issues you didn't even knew you had).
Gardens tour - ish!
History Tour - partly interesting
Money - hotel had plenty of Local currency to exchange at good exchange rate.
Hair dryers in room - just work
Free Wifi in hotel lobby - good
Towel cards issued on arrival - towels can be collected from reception in the morning.
Very clean hotel
Both themed restaurants worth visiting.
Champagne(sparkling wine) served with Sunday breakfast.

All good - happy days