“They do what they do very well indeed. Overall a good holiday experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

You added ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route Fes, km 6 | Annakhil, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Your first gift: 500 pts
Ranked #93 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
Shropshire
“They do what they do very well indeed. Overall a good holiday experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I will not attempt to repeat the comments of previous reviewers, I will just try and put them into perspective.

This hotel caters for 1,400 or more guests in almost 700 rooms. This should be remembered when reading the reviews posted about it.

700 rooms means that it could not possibly be as ‘exclusive’ as it appears on its own website. I must say that I was surprised just how many rooms there were because they were in a number of two storey buildings that are well away from the main hotel reception, bars and restaurants. Our room was a standard room, large, clean and with a good sized balcony. The hotel cannot be held responsible for people who don’t attempt to close their doors quietly at night but the heavily sprung doors with hinges that could do with a drop of oil doesn’t help. This is a minor point as to be fair, it didn't happen too often. Closing my own squeaky door quietly took a bit of care and the tiled corridors make the sound ‘carry’. No noise at all from next door so sound insulation between rooms seems good.

The main restaurant is big, sensibly furnished and laid out to cater for a huge throughput of guests. As a result, the inevitable echo does make it sound like a bit like a canteen. Not a criticism, just a fact. The food choice was good and has to cater for many tastes. Inevitably there will be some repetition, but in my experience the food was hot, the wine OK and the service good. The layout of the serving area was good. There was the occasional small queue for those counters attended by staff who were serving food (e.g. omlettes cooked to order at breakfast) but it certainly was not chaotic. The Italian and Moroccan alternatives were a nice change (you book in advance) and had a better atmosphere.

The bar staff worked tirelessly and I found the drinks to be OK. When you have 1,400 people to cater for you are never going to be able to make the perfect Whisky Sour from scratch in the time you have available so yes, some drinks are premixed but I viewed this as an innovative approach to catering for huge demand as an alternative to keeping people waiting for ages.

The pool is huge and like in any hotel there are ‘prime spots’. I am an early riser. I usually get up every day before 6.30am without the need for an alarm and most days I simply grabbed a spot (not a prime one) by the pool and watched the hotel ‘wake up’. My observation is that if you want a prime spot, you have to be up early. If not, I would say that getting a sunbed up to 9.30am would be no problem. Sure there were some people who ‘marked their spot’ then went back to bed and in some cases never actually used the beds they had reserved. This is selfish and I wish the hotel would enforce the policy posted on one of the signs by the pool that said they would remove towels and personal belongings if the beds were vacant for more than 90 minutes and take them to ‘lost property’.

1,400 guests means that there are all kinds of people here. Some do their own thing and some rely on the efforts of the Animation Team to make their holiday complete. How can the Animation Team know what type of guest they are speaking to in advance so one man’s overfamiliarity is another man’s dream come true. Personally I did not bother with day time activities but they still spoke to me and were friendly but not intrusive. Some people smoke, some not. This means that you will, at some point, smell cigarette smoke. It wasn’t as bad as some people have sugested in my view but I must say that it is more noticeable in the indoor areas probably becasue you don't smell smoke indoors anymore in the UK.

The Gym was small but good. I used it most days. The most important two features in any gym are water and stuff to clean the equipment with and this Gym had both.

I have one concern that did not affect my experience of the hotel but could do if I ever returned in a few years time and that is maintenance. The hotel is less than 4 years old I think. Whilst the gardens are immaculate, if you look closely there are little things that, if left, will make the hotel look very shabby in a few years’ time. I have mentioned hinges that need oil but in addition there were a number of cracked tiles in our room & round the pool, a couple of tatty door frames in the indoor pool and the clock above Reception showing Marrakech time was broken. The plug in our Bidet didn’t work but rather than report it I decided to see if anyone would notice if I left it full with (clean) water. Nobody did. Some of the canopies for use above certain sunbed areas were also getting worn. I think that with such a large number of guests the hotel could become run down very quickly unless management keep on top of this ‘wear and tear’. This would be a pity as its currenty very nice. Perhaps these issues will be addressed when the hotel is less busy.

It was full to capacity (or so I was told) during a large part of our stay and coped exceptionally well and never felt over crowded.

It isn’t ‘exclusive’ but it is very nice and the staff were really friendly and helpful so I would recommend it. If it were closer to the centre of Marrakech I would consider visiting it again.

Room Tip: The bedrooms have tiled floors so ask for a top floor to avoid potential noise from above.
10 Thank MrDShropshire

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,142)
  • Turkish first
Wembley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We chose the ClubHotel Riu Palmeraie after reading soo many positive 4 and 5 star reviews on this site - however we were quite dissapointed in a number of areas with the Palmeraie. I am a very frequent worldwide traveler (both independent and package style holidays, land & cruise) and have stayed in various brands and class of hotels so I have a pretty good all round experience and I am pretty fair in my views and opinions and try to keep it balanced. This was our first Thomson all-inclusive holiday.

OK first off we noticed that lots of people were rating Palmeraie hotel as 4 or 5 stars on Trip Adviser. Our overall opinion made this place feel more like 3.5 out of 5 for reasons which you need to read below.

Cons:
-------
1. We are not smokers and found the Clubhotel Palmeraie to be saturated inside with areas full of people smoking. The only place where people did not smoke were in the restaurants. The problem lies with the fact that there wasn't any consideration given to non-smokers. Its amazing how much you notice the smell of smoke - even just one person is more than enough in a confined space as in the UK smoking inside public places is now banned.
2. It was impossible to get a sun lounger at the pool and this has been well reported on this site by lots of people and the upshot is that the hotel has done nothing to address this. People hurry down at 6am to place their towels and that's it until sunset! Pool butlers clearly weren't doing their job and you could clearly see people just wandering off!
3. The entertainment is non existent! Literally aside from a show quite late in the evening that's about it! No daytime entertainment, no activities, quiz's etc. Bring your book, kindle or iPad as thats the only entertainment you will have to keep yourself occupied. The evening show is very amateurish and I have seen better in Pontins! In fairness to these guys they try their best but clearly these are not entertainers.
4. The indoor pool area is a complete waste of space which was a big shame as this potentially would have made a nice chill out area. I checked it out as the main outdoor pool was overcrowded and impossible to swim. The indoor pool was not heated because it was summer and it was way too cold to swim despite hot temperatures. A few hot tubs in the indoor pool area with a steam room would make a lovely addition to this building.
5. Our biggest gripe was that the choice of food in the restaurants in the evening was very limited - same old stuff night after night (despite reviews stating otherwise on TripAdvisor). The quality of the food was equally disappointing and lacked taste. Deserts were all of the same mousse and cream variety and not served chilled. On our return at the airport we were speaking to a family who also voiced the same concerns and they referred to the food as being cheap canteen food! So clearly it wasn't just us. We didn't get chance to check out the Moroccan restaurant as this was booked up days in advance! Breakfast choices were even more limited and no consideration given for international / English travelers. We noticed the same breakfast items being served for lunch!
6. Our fridge did not work in the room as we wanted to store water due to the hot temperatures. This problem was reported and not addressed.
7. The air conditioning in the restaurants and parts of the hotel was poor and in my experience inadequate especially due to the very hot weather. I don't sweat easily however eating in the evenings was somewhat uncomfortable.
8. No tea and coffee facilities in the room
9. General condition of the room especially the bathroom needs a lick of paint and tiles need re grouting in areas.
10. Bad smell coming from the toilet

OK enough of the cons. What about the positives?

Pros
------
1. The service provided by the staff in the restaurants was excellent. One of the best i've had (excluding Celebrity Cruises!). Staff are friendly, approachable and more than happy to help out including main reception.
2. The all inclusive drinks option is a nice touch although the wine and cocktails are clearly watered down. Beer's on tap was nice and tasted nice and so did the spirits.
3. Room serviced daily to a very high standard.
4. Very good air conditioning in the room - it was colder than in the hotel which was nice :-)
5. wi-fi was only available in some areas of the hotel (bar, main reception) although this was at times quite slow but in fairness it was FREE!. It was also a shame this did not extend to the pool or to your room. OK people might start commenting. You are on holiday! why are you checking Wi-fi! Well it was the only form of entertainment! Simples!
6. FREE shuttle bus which takes you into the centre square in Marakesh although be advised to reserve the day before as spaces on the bus are limited. Very good driver, very polite, friendly and very accomodating
7. Good security on-site and visible - not that its needed! I guess it was most likely just to reassure parents with their children.
8. Good gift shop with a range of goods at reasonable prices - which is quite rare! :-)
9. We were able to extend our room to 6pm (from 11am checkout!) as we had a late flight back at 10pm to the UK on the last day. My only gripe is that the cost of this £50 should have been included in the package holiday by Thomson as this was the only flight option which existed for us. We are used to cruising and on the last day we are used to having a courtesy day room and not having your luggage hanging around you.

Overall experience:
------------------------
The rating of average 3 stars is reflected in the negatives that we experienced particularly with the poor food and also the very poor entertainment in the evening and nothing during the day. The pool was also a big problem and not being able to grab a sun lounger. Clearly these are three areas which should be acted upon. Smoking in the hotel and a sheer lack of consideration to non-smokers is also an issue. The reviews of 5 stars by some travelers are very over-inflated. Clearly these are people who don't seem to have traveled much or have had poorer experiences on other holidays. Definitely not 5 star and not exactly 4 star either! more like 3.5!

Would we return?
----------------------
It was a pleasant trip, enjoyed the 4 days but overall out of all the dozens of destinations I have visited my biggest annoyance was the local traders outside in Marrakesh particularly in the central square area. We ventured out twice in the day and we were constantly hassled and not in a fun positive way either! I am used to traveling and have been hassled in lots of countries especially like Egypt, Tunisia and China (Shenzhen) but this was different to a more aggressive and somewhat nasty edge to it. Be careful on the snake charmers as we had some verbal abuse from them especially when they didn't get their way in wanting £40 to handle a snake! It was great to see a new culture and I loved the occasional donkey and cart and experiencing some of the traditions. Worth a visit but definitely a one off visit for us.

2 Thank nateyJ80
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

First off let's get the only negative out of the way, The night-time entertainment is pretty poor, the Animation team do their best, but are not entertainers.
Having said that If you want full on entertainment, then go to Butlins, and if you want 5 star plus pampering, then book The Savoy, but if you want an excellent all inclusive hotel, With excellent service, very good food, clean, very comfortable rooms, and staff that cannot do enough for you, then this is the hotel for you, and if you are a sun worshiper then you have struck lucky here. you can sunbathe from early morning until early evening, next to one of the best pools.Yes you need to be an early riser to get a good spot, but that is as much the fault of us Brits as any other nationality we would care too blame. That said if you arrive later, and the sunbeds appear to have gone, then the pool staff will go out of their way to find you some.
Once you have found your spot, then you have two bars serving a good selection of spirits, and cocktails, (O.K. only one lager,that isn't the best but is drinkable) so if you can't find something that you like then you are probably a person who cannot be pleased.
I have read some reviews that do nothing but complain about this Hotel, but I think that they must have been staying at a different hotel to what we experienced.
we traveled as a family, with a 7yr old girl, and we all had a fantastic time, there were quite a few children but we didn't see any of the bad behavior in the pool area that other people seem to have witnessed, There were complaints of swarms of flies, and mosquitoes, well i have seen more insects in some British holiday resorts, and as for the wild cats that others complained about, we saw probably about 8 or 10, which were all well fed, and looked after by the staff, and as they were frightened of people, then they stayed well away from the public, so were no bother at all.
Went into Marrakesh a couple of times, using the hotel shuttle bus which free, and a welcome service, u need to book it in advance, but that was no problem. Marrakesh is amazing, like stepping back in time, and an experience not to be missed. Yes they do pester you to come into there shops, but as there is a lot of competition then this is only to be expected, a firm no usually deterred them, but if you do decide to buy from them, then be prepared to barter, they expect it. That was all part of the experience, and my wife enjoyed it immensely (women, and their bargains). The souks, and the market areas are the main attraction, so If you are not there to experience their culture that these play a big part in, then don't go.
One personal request, there are lots of horse and carriages on offer, but as we felt that the horses were not well cared for, then we refused to use them, and would ask you not to.
A final note, The Tikida Palmeraie isn't the best Riu hotel we have stayed in, and we have stayed in a few, But as it is still an excellent hotel, then that says more about the excellence of the product overall.
We loved Morocco, and we loved this hotel, so don't be put off by the few bad reviews you might read, try for yourself, I am certain you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: We had rooms 1103, and 1104, which had views of the immaculate gardens, they were also a minutes wal...
8 Thank rogerbck
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I am not going to re-iterate what everyone else has said & you always have to take reviews with a pinch of salt. I can only tell it as I found it - your experience could be different. We found the hotel & grounds to be fantastic - the food was great, the room comfortable - & yes the air con did work - the grounds beautiful, the staff very polite & helpful & the entertainment good.
As we normally go self-catering it was our first experience of all-inclusive & it didn't disappoint. Some people have commented how the drinks were weak but as we're not big drinkers I couldn't comment. We were very satisfied with what we had. The food was always topped up & a lot of variety. We tried the Moroccan restaurant - lovely - but not the Italian as there was Italian food in the main restaurant every night. We were shocked at how wasteful some people were but that's not the hotel's fault. The pool was huge & the water not cold at all. Yes there are issues getting beds but this is minor. We enjoyed the entertainment & thought the team made a real effort to put on a good show.
We went with our 16 year old son for a week in August - he said at the end he wished we could stay for another 2 weeks so what more recommendation do you need ?
The main drawback for us was the smoking, absolutely horrendous in the lobby area where many people, especially children, congregate in the evening. I wish RIU would make this a completely non-smoking property. That apart it was fantastic & we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We had a lovely quiet room, 4149, a bit of a walk from the pool & restaurants but we weren't...
2 Thank JonathanRowe
Rotherham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Having stayed at the Rio for 10 days in August my opinion is the hotel offers decent value for money, but is not a 4 star premium rated hotel as advertised by Thomsons. Having stayed in the Caribbean and Mexico, a similar rated hotel does offer over and above that found at the Riu.

However, I wouldn't want to discourage others from staying at the hotel, so long as they don't pay four star prices. The positives we found were the excellent staff at the hotel, the cleanliness and the hotel/pool in general feels spacious even when full to capacity.

Where there is room for improvement would include food selection, which does offer different cuisines in the main restaurant, but the items are repetitive each evening and become tiresome. It's also dissappointing that the two themed restaurants are also buffet style, my preference would be for these to be waiter serviced offering freshly cooked food. The alcoholic drinks selection is limited and the cocktails are terrible. We also found our air conditioning to be non-existent, I think this may be a problem in block 4, as our friends' room was the same.

Overall we had an excellent holiday and would come back for a cheap 7 night break. My overall viewpoint is this is a 3 to 3+ rated hotel that offers good value for money, but missing the additional luxuries found in the Caribbean that would give it the wow factor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adam_n_Kate
Epsom, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

I have just left the rui and can't fault it at all , the staff were friendly and very helpful. The hotel was spotless , the rooms were spacious comfortable and clean. The food was fresh with a huge variety. The shuttle bus was very reliable . The entertainment for kids was excellent. The swimming pool was big but clean at all times.
The hotel excursions man was excellent and we negotiated a good price for all our ventures the atlas mountains was amazing and far better tour than thomson offered as Thompson was only a drive and stop for food hotel people do the same drive views but also stop in lovely valley have lunch in a river bit bizarre but food was nice then took a guide upto 7 waterfalls which was breath taking unlike thompsons.
I really couldn't fault it but I would recommend few things ie build another adult only pool as it was very cramped round pool and felt like a sardine, there is plenty of room for this and would make huge difference. I also think a better wifi might be useful. I think they need a bit more entertainment for adults after 10.45
when outside singer stops .
All in all I loved the hotel but think could be so much better than the 5 stars but sadly as Thompson take complete control of this hotel in 2013 I think will go down hill as there introduction welcome meeting was awful not enough information and there staff are not the friendliest.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank kazmiththecowboy
Wickford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We would recommend this hotel, it was very clean, food was brilliant with a wide selection to choose from. There are two additional restaurants for the evening, which provides even more variety. The staff are always friendly and helpful. We had an upgraded room, which was very spacious. Pool was huge, although quite cold, but this was actually nice as we were there when the temperature reached 50 degrees! The only downfall of the complex was the wasp issue. During the day the pool bars were surrounded by wasps, and this did cause an issue when you tried to get drinks, or you had a sunbed near the pool bars. Overall it was a brilliant holiday and we would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple