“Very relaxing and restful” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Miria Palais Riad

El Miria Palais Riad
Ranked #64 of 505 Hotels in Marrakech
“Very relaxing and restful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Pretty much agree with all the positive comments on here. This is a great hotel to relax in and recharge those batteries.

It was found for us by our excellent Travel Counsellors advisor, Emma Slatter http://www.travelcounsellors.co.uk/emma.slatter

The hotel was quite different to anything we’d been to before. Very small with only a few staff looking after our needs. 3 waiters, 3 receptionists, a small housekeeping team and a gardener was all that was needed. We enjoyed a very good level of service from the staff who were most pleasant and accommodating. We were given a 'buzzer' to call for service which is much better than being constantly pestered by staff. Entertainment was provided by a family of tortoises, which just about matched the pace we wanted to live at for the week! At times we felt a bit like ‘royalty’ as there were only 2 or 3 of the 10 rooms occupied most of the time. No issues therefore in getting a sunbed etc.

The room booked was one of their ‘standard’ rooms. It was clean and decorated in a North African style. Quite small, with not much storage space, but would have been sufficient for our stay. There were a few things which required attention (safe locked, shower drainage slow, some lights not working) and I asked for something to sit on in the shower. I told the receptionist about these things and within an hour or so she told me they would move us to a larger room later in the day. The staff moved everything with great care and we were set up in one of their larger rooms by tea time at no extra charge. You will appreciate its often the small things that make a holiday and in this case I would certainly say the standard of housekeeping in the room and having one of the best showers I’ve ever used made a significant contribution to our enjoyment. Also the layout of the hotel meant a very short walk between room, restaurant and pool with no stairs to manage.

The food was very well cooked but the downside was lack of choice. Breakfast was a simple croissant and bread offering with jams and syrups. A small choice of sandwiches were available at lunch and dinner was generally couscous or a tagine with lamb, beef and once only chicken. Drinks were expensive with beer at almost £4 a bottle and wine about £20 a bottle. It was a good wine though!

There was a very ‘trusting’ style about the place. Keys were just left on the table at reception and you weren't asked to sign for anything after each ‘extra’. However the front door to the hotel was locked and there were a number of security cameras about the place. I was a little concerned about how our bill was building without seeing regular receipts, but I needn't have worried as I believe they got it spot on.

The transfer to and from the airport worked well. Smooth with no delays. The pickup for our return was at 6pm and after a quick word with the manager at the hotel he said it was OK to keep the room until we left and no charge was made.

So we enjoyed it, but a difficult one to make a general recommendation about. I think it possible that some would find it isolated and boring but not us on this occasion. It fitted our needs very well.

Room Tip: For a stay of more than a few days an upgrade would be well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

I came for a spa and lunch package and am very impressed.

I've had more spa treatments than hot dinners and this one rates very well with me - which is amazing because it is about half the price of the others at the top of my list.

Highly recommended!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Milan, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My mother and I spent few days in Marrakesh during the early days of October.

LOCATION:
The facilities of the hotel are simply amazing - everything is very nicely finished and clean, the swimming pool is crystal-clear, the thermarium with hammam lookd amazing too.
(Suggestion - there are barely no mosquitos, but some flies. To avoid them while resting at the pool, we expetienced very helpful to use suncream which unexpectably ketps them away)

FOOD:
We are from Italy, therefore a little bit demanding about food, yet we have to state that we had very nice esperienze at the resturant in the hotel, next to the pool. The menu is the same everyday, and it is highly recommanded to "pre order" the day before if you wish to have a specific dish the day after - it took a while to understand that but the food we had was anyway really good, everytime.
The average price for a main course is 180 dhm (approx. 18€).
(Suggestion - don't miss the chance to try one of the local red wines, full-bodied and aromatic, and again try to "schedule" your food in advance if you wish to have lunch/dinner at the hotel)

PEOPLE:
This is the main reason of the title of the review I'm writing. The managers and every single assistant have been extremely genle and kind, I cannot explain how grateful I am toward those good people for treating us at best, expecially in a moment of need - my mother was ill, she had to take some medicines and we just couldnt withdraw cash from ATMs in the city, so the manager went to the pharmacy himself paying cash for the drugs and got back to us with what we needed, then we menaged how to re-pay the debt on our checkout. I was impressed. Best customer care I've ever experienced, in such situation.

Our overall experience was perfect.
If we'll have the chance, we will definetly get back someday.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Federico R
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at El Miria Palais Riad! I went with my husband and this was our third trip to Marrakech but our first time staying here. We were looking for a quiet and calm hotel and this was the perfect one! It turns out El Miria is actually just outside of Marrakech so quiet indeed, however, the taxi ride to the main centre is like 15-20mins so not too far out.

We had a beautiful suite with a bottle of wine waiting for us in our room. The people that worked there were all very polite, always with a smile and willing to help. One of the guys at the reception (so upset I can't remember his name) aided us in arranging a 3 hour quad biking trip around Marrakech. Absolutely LOVED this, definitely recommend! He also helped any time we needed a taxi to the city centre.

Breakfast was a pleasure. Yes, breakfast contained the basics but the way they presented it made the expeience more pleasurable. As opposed to a buffet the waiter would place the food and drinks on our table as we sat. Fresh orange juice and mint tea were my favs. Our departure time was really early in the morning and the hotel arranged for us to have breakfast way earlier than they usually serve! The only downside was the dinner menu, wasn't crazy about it!

Also had a lovely massage in the spa!

Overall, a lovely experience and I would certainly go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I picked the hotel as it rated highly on the reviews but for me sadly, I failed to see what the hyperbole was about.

The positives, well its a pretty chic hotel with a lovely theme running throughout, staff are polite if you can converse in french and prepared to spend and its away from the hustle and bustle of the centre. A shuttle is available twice a day and the pool area is relaxing and idyllic.

I booked a standard room expecting it to meet the most basic requirements. The standard room however was akin to a broom cupboard.. Been to better travel lodges , you'd struggle to swing a cat in this 5star luxury. There was hardly any space to move.. If you're on the larger side.. This might be the catalyst to earn you a few quid and get yourself in the local rag.. 'Hotel changed my life' instead of holding up a pair of pants maybe you'll be holding up a model of the hotel.

There's a total lack of drawers or hanging space for clothing , i was practically living out of a suitcase.. Not what you expect from a 5star..

The window if you can call it that measured approximately 1m in length x 30cm wide which allowed hardly any natural light into the room.. And it was obscured glass with a shutter. More bathroom than bedroom. With the window issue The lights had to be permanently switched on day and night.. a surreal experience if there ever was one. Not what you want from a 5star.. With powercuts being common.. Two in as many days.. getting dressed was like a game of blindmans bluff.. This was literally dressing in the dark... Running through a closet indeed..

The noise from the air conditioning and fridge was deafening.. Complimentary earshields maybe something they need to think about not flip flops. It maybe that the other rooms in this establishment i.e. the suites meet the basic expected criteria but the standard of this room was certainly not what I would expect in a 5 star hotel.

The ensuite however was of a good standard.. If morrocos version of Delhi belly is oncoming then you'll be in good company a plus negative if ever there was one..

We ate at the hotel on the first night and were extremely disappointed to say the least. The food was bland and tasteless. At £15 per dish you expect a lot more than a few olives in a boiled chicken. The lamb couscous was possibly one of the worse dishes I have ever tasted.. Maybe my palate is not for this type of food.. But the last time i had something like that I had a bib on and it was being pushed into my mouth. Michel Roux can sleep easy on this showing. It was much better spending £20 on taxis to eat at guliez ,La Place or Dinos for half the money and quadrouple the quality..or central Marrakech. The drinks again are very pricey which was expected but £10 for a mocktail? For that kind of money I want him to personally fly across the world and get the ingredients au naturale.. Not from the equivalent of Morrocos Asda price mixed with whatever..I had to check whether I had flown to Monaco instead of morroco..

On previous reviews it appears that guests felt particularly attended to, I was not asked at any point if i had any issues or grievances.. maybe they dont have any and its just me and therefore don't need to ask. Or the more salient answer was probably more due to the fact that I didn't run up a high bar or food bill.. Being a keen follower of the temperance movement it unfortunately could not be helped on my part and the food was certainly a case of once bitten twice shy..thus my custom was not particularly valuable.. To coin a Americanism they were unable to 'moneytise' me..

Take some lessons in French or italian.. be partial to ovepriced boiled caulifower and drink..Book the most expensive room and the experience will be a 5 star.. Withholding any of that only disappointment will ensue unfortunately ..

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Soph50
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have never write a review for a hotel below but we just felt that this one had to be mentioned. We booked a 7 night stay at El Miria and honestly it couldn't have been more perfect. The service was out of this world, the staff were so friendly and accommodating. After booking a standard room for the stay we felt we would treat ourselves to an upgrade for the other 5, when we mentioned this to the manager he upgraded one night for free. They organized all our trips in and out of Marrakesh and provided a free shuttle. They also arranged the most wonderful trip to the Atlas Mountains. It was the perfect place to hide away from the business of the center of Marrakesh and with their wonderful spa to treat yourself, you almost feel like you never want to leave. We were in utter luxury for the whole stay and can't wait to find an excuse to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hrykens
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic find, the most perfect oasis of calm in a bustling, mental city. Reda and the team spoilt us rotten from the moment we arrived. It was my girlfriends birthday and they couldn't have made it more special, the service was exceptional particularly by -the warm and always smiling- Tarek who spoke brilliant English.

We had drinks in the Jacuzzi and at the poolside which we ordered using a personalised electronic buzzer that they give you to call a waiter whenever you want something.

We had the Juniour Suite which was delightful, immaculately clean and always perfectly presented with a large balcony for private dining or sun bathing.

We ate in the restaurant here two of the three evenings that we stayed, largely because we enjoyed it so much. The slow cooked Lamb is to die for as is the Harissa soup.

The spa is cosy, soothing and extremely relaxing. I truly recommend the 30 minute massage - my girlfriend and I passed out for a couple of hours after ours we were so relaxed.

I must say for those that want to be in the centre of Marrakech, anyone who wants a late night drink or for people that love large grounds, huge swimming pools and multi-complex hotels this is probably not the place for you but for us it was ideal.

Palais El Miria gives a truly 5 star experience, they have that personal touch that I struggled to find at The Four Seasons, The Hilton or other 5 star hotels I've managed to stay at and for nearly half the price. I can't wait to return!