“Quality hotel with great staff”

Imperial Plaza Hotel
Ranked #475 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 7 nights from 29/01/13-05/02/13 and found our stay at this hotel was extremely comfortable and the staff were a pleasure to meet with. Nadia in particular was extremely helpful and helped us to book an excursion; she did not disappoint, we visited the ouzoud waterfalls and it was an amazing experience. The kitchen staff at this hotel from the waiters to the head chef were absolutely incredible. The chef soon came to realise we were vegetarian and made a special effort each day to ask us what we would like for dinner. He made some delicious dishes for us. The French waiter was charming and extremely courteous and helpful...we really appreciate everyone at this hotel. The pool on the 6th floor is great with a friendly barman and workers who clean the pool are also extremely friendly and welcoming. Would definitely recommend this hotel and I would definitely stay again. Thank you

Room Tip: Room 314 has a breathtaking view of the mountains. You get plenty of sun here too!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mk4bk

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I went to Marrakech for my birthday with my best mate and we loved the hotel! The staff were all friendly and the manager always made an effort to see that everything was in order and was genuinely interested in his clientele. The breakfasts were okay but me and my best mate didn't travel to Marrakech for the breakfasts. It was a lovely, clean and homely place to stay between seeing the beautiful sights of Marrakech and the little local, "jardin des arts" was a nice place to have a last drink before bed. The rooftop pool was perfect, had a beautiful view of every sunset. The only downside of the holiday was all the miserable British clientele that just sat around the pool moaning about everything and didn't venture out. I would definitely recommend this hotel :)

They also even gave me a lovely present of fruits and sweets for my birthday! Lovely people

Room Tip: Ask for a garden facing room. Particularly a corner room with a balcony ;)
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ashley D
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The pictures on the hotel website look nothing like any of the rooms we saw when we were there in December through to New Year. Photographer must be a genius. If I ever want to sell my house I hope I find him for pics. I Pool area on roof nice although let down by railings needing paint and tables and chairs around bar area in bad repair( such basic maintenance but not done).
We were so disappointed in our room on arrival that we actually tried to contact our booking agent to try and change hotels - no luck as weekend! The rooms were basic, dusty and worn. Not at all as we had been led to believe. The hotel was no where near anything of interest or any nice bars and cafes - also not what we were informed and DEFINATLY not near the centre.
Hotel reception and lobby very old, shabby and neglected. Food ok. All buffet and nothing like pictures of buffet on website.
Staff were very laid back but to be fair very sweet but on the whole I would say a British 2 star not 4.
We booked in to this hotel as a Christmas gift to each other believing we would have a tiny bit of luxury. Wish I'd opted for earrings or new boots now!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Markharvey64
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel is great for the price. I booked a long weekend in Marrakesh through easyjet holidays and the price of the hotel + flights was really good.

The staff were brilliant. Housekeeping were very friendly, and Nadia the rep who helped us book some day trips was brilliant. We got picked up at the time they said and taken on some brilliant. We did a camel trip that included lunch and tea and a tour around nearby villages. The next day we did a drive to the Atlas mountains, included a stop off at a herbal garden and a moroccan house + lunch was included. We climbed to the top of the mountain with a guide, past waterfalls and stopped off for some mint tea. It was absolutely brilliant.

The hotel is a short taxi drive away from the square, it's not expensive to get there.

There is a nice rooftop with a pool- in February it was too cold for us to make use of it but it looked nice.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank pippa T
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Where shall i start from! We checked into the hotel first impression when we got to the room, we thought we were in prison, lame decoration of the rooms very dark. TV remote was missing we requested the TV remote about 4 time which we got after two days. We decided to go to the pool in the morning which was on the 6th floor but the water was so cold we couldn’t put our feet in the water that’s how cold the water was so no jumping in the pool for 5 days we stayed there. Room got cleaned everyday but the towel had threads coming out of them dirty, no soap changed, no shampoo. We had to request toiletries when it should ve been there when they cleaned the rooms. Breakfast made me laugh, we tried to make some tea the milk was flat and seriously it was flat for 5 days until we stayed, i complained, next day the same thing i gave up. we had to use cereal cold milk for tea. Dinner don’t even go there the food was rubbish we only had dinner once cas we bought the package as half board, and also there aren’t many choices for food two or three dishes which God knows what they were. after eating once when our flight landed we only had dinner once from the hotel after that big no no to the hotel food we ate out every single day. If you are a couple don’t even think about booking this hotel, don’t ruin your holiday, cas the location is rubbish, staff not friendly, Food ewww, rooms you would feel claustrophobia. The only good thing about the hotel was Visitor advisor Nadia thats all she was the only friendly person in the whole hotel apart from that nothing was right about the hotel. My opinion this hotel is not even 1 star. We booked this hotel last minute i would never go back to this hotel even if they offer me to stay there for free.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Visited back in February as part of a groupon hotel deal and after reading the negative reviews I was worried, I was however very pleasantly surprised with the hotel. A little rough around the edges but generally well kept.

Location-wise the imperial plaza is quite far from the medina and the old part of the city but a taxi ride is inexpensive or (as we did) the 45minute walk is free and takes you past lots of lovely shops, cafes, ice cream parlours etc in the new part of the city.
The room that we were allocated was fabulous with a large furnished and covered balcony a large bathroom and two double beds. Just wonderful. The pool area is nice but being there in February the water was still a little too cold.
We had some spa treatments included with our deal, the jacuzzi on the balcony of the spa was lovely (champagne would have made it perfect!), the sauna and hammam were not anything to write home about.

The best part of our stay here was the breakfast, the breakfast room is a beautifully tiled, covered courtyard with a fountain in the centre and beautiful carved archways. The usual continental breakfast fare was available but also a seperate bar where a chef would make you customised fresh omlettes or delicious crispy, syrupy pancakes.

Having bought a voucher to stay here I would say that the value was fantastic however having paid full price I may have felt differently. One other thing. definitely explore the little shops and restaurants around the hotel, had some fantastic food from a little kebab place and a great bakery only a couple of minutes walk away.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel in advance and request a nice room. We did and got a fantastic double double room...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hevskiii
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We also booked via Groupon and had 4 nights at the Imperial Plaza Hotel. We were very concerned having read all the awful reviews on tripadvisor, however were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was clean, well maintained and the staff were lovely and most helpful. The breakfast was really good (again confused as to what others have complained about). The amenities were good and the quick, frequent and easy bus ride direct to the Souks was fantastic at 4dh. We were really pleased with the location, after a full day in the mayhem of the souks and medina it was a welcome respite to be able to escape to our nice and quiet hotel room.

All in all if you are expecting something akin to Claridges (which I have a sneaking suspicion many of those who left poor reviews were) then don't stay here. If you are after a good hotel in a convenient location with a good breakfast to set you up for the day and friendly staff then do stay here. Very happy and would stay again.

Thanks Imperial Plaza :D

PS Just to clarify our experience of what others have complained about:
Our transfers to and from the airport were on time, I had eggs for breakfast and they were not black, our towels were changed everyday and we were never left without any, Nadia is lovely as are all the staff, everything worked as it should in our room. In closing I think some people are just born moaners and like to complain, take their reviews with a pinch of salt as we had an enjoyable stay at the Imperial Plaza.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends