“Very good taste” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #417 of 1,176 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Very good taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Imagine you are in a desert and then you find a swimming pool...
well, we had just arrived in Marrakech and by walking on the narrow corners of the city we came to this green door and inside we found one of the most beautifull crafted riads we had ever been to. Simply perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Poznan, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed there in April 2013 with our one and half year son – To start with, the place is beautiful, completely renovated - all decorated and furnished to the highest standard and very stylish, the cleanliness of the rooms was excellent and the location couldn't be better.
From beginning to end, undoubtedly one of the best accommodations I have ever stayed in. The staff have gone above and beyond to make us feel welcome and at home. Incredibly friendly owner, speaking English, French and Spanish was extremely helpful to us when we were in trouble and we had to change the glass in rented car. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to make their stay in Marrakesh unforgettable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ewelina M
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in 2010 and loved it so much we booked to stay again this March. Sadly we were let down after being picked up at the airport and taken to a riad we had heard nothing about! Anyway, we found out the hard way so just a prior warning to anyone looking to book in at Jardin Des Reves that it is currently under a contract dispute. Hopefully soon someone will take it on, bring it back life and the beautiful standard that George used to maintain it at.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Polly H
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

finding this riad is easy,it is situated behind the mosque of Bab Doukkala and about a 15 minute walk to the medina.
we found the staff very helpful although only the night/evening manager spoke english the ladies serving breakfast were easy to communicate with even though we had a very limited amount of the french language.
the riad itself is great, both our rooms were what we expected from marrakesh,and they were very clean,including towels and bath robes.the bathrooms were modern infact i would say very new ,and ok the door/archway from the bedroom into the bathroom were only a light curtain it posed no problem for us.the roof terrace is very nice for catching a few rays.we didnt use the splash pool but im sure in the height of summer it would be a god send.
all in all we had a great visit,the only advise i would give is keep your wits about you dont flash money about and if a local offers you help they will want paying, so be firm and tell them no thanks,remember to haggle and dont pay up too easily you can get some good prices if you keep going.
we had a day in the atlas mountains which was organised by Lahsen (night manager) he drove us around stopping off at places of interest,and yes it may be a bit touristy but we had a great day,it was nice to get some clean air,the fumes from all the bikes in marrakesh can be a bit overpowering.
for our transfer back to the airport we did it with Lahsen,and cost us 15 euros,much better than the 25 euros we paid in a taxi on arrival,

Room Tip: we had 2 rooms and both were very good,
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nadia089
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was moved to this riad as the one I had reserved was overbooked. I was promised a room that was as good or better than what I booked. The first room was beautiful - big spacious, clean, beautiful bathroom. There was no door to the bathroom but it was big enough for privacy. I then went on an excursion and the room we got upon our room was small and pokey. There was no way to get any privacy when using the loo as the bathroom and room were so small - and there was no door again.

The women working in the riad were nice, friendly and helpful but I didn't take a liking to the man. He overcharged me for taxi rides (although I agreed to the prices). He told me that I couldn't pay by by credit card despite my agreeing to pay the surcharge of 4% to do so. He tried to overcharge me for the room (a higher rate than I had booked). When he accepted that I pay the rate I booked, he suddenly told me that there was an additional EUR 12 per night tax which wasn't there if I'd paid the higher rate and wasn't required at any of the other riads or hotels. Obviously I don't believe this tax exists but it's hard to refuse to pay a tax.

The riad was beautiful and clean and the first room was great but I wouldn't recommend it because of the smaller room and the greedy man.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tanya M
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband 9-12 September as a base to explore Marrakech . The riad is nicely decorated and the staff are welcoming .

We booked a transfer with the riad from the airport at a cost of 15 euros for both of us which was reasonable . If we had taken a taxi I'm sure we would have paid alot more and this would have entailed getting lost .

We got our room at a really good rate (orangerie room ) . It is compact but is fine for a city base . However , there is no door to the bathroom . It's a small room so be ready to get intimate or agree with one another to leave the room when the other needs privacy . I nor my husband propose to get that intimate to be honest and like that element of privacy . I really don't see the point in having a curtain ( see-through bit of cloth ) as a partition to the bathroom in 2012 . If its for ambiance then it adds very little and a simple sliding door would add more comfort and convenience .

Breakfast was ALOT of bread . You get an omelette on one day and after that a yogurt or a cream cheese to eat with your large amounts of bread . The option of a boiled egg  each day would have been nicer .

The riad is based in the Bab Doukalla part of town which is very busy and hectic . Great area as a base as its about 15 mins walk to Jamaa El  Fnna sq and the medina .

On the second night we told staff that our air con had stopped working . But instead of saying they will check to see what the problem was , I was oddly told "No, it's working !" . Mm ok .... ?

A word of caution : contrary to what it's website says and facilities info given on various sites such as Booking.com - it DOES NOT have a safety deposit box in the room ( our one anyway ) and DOES NOT have 24 hrs reception . So either leave your cash and passports in the room unsecured or carry them like us and dont fall short of water at 2am when the air con stops working (allegedly ) because there will be no one to get you some water from their fridge .
On the whole , stay was ok but room for improvement in small areas that would really better the stay .

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Tmaj
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed in Marrakech for 4 nights at this riad. It was located about 12 minute walk to the Jemaa El Fna inside the medina (take Rue Fatima Zohra).At first we were concerned about the location, it seemed confusing and back through some winding streets that we thought would be very dark at night, but once we got our sense of the area, it was easy and the streets are very brightly lit at night. The riad is nice and decorated well. My room was Double Oliveraie.

However, we got few issues, especially with the customer service:
1. Only one guy can speak English and he was not always at the riad. They prefer French and it is not easy since we only speak English.

2. The toilet doesn't have door, only cover by thin curtain. OK fine no door, but can somebody change the thin curtain with a 'real' curtain so that we can do our 'important' business comfortably.

3. On our fourth night at the hotel, the air-conditioner was not working. I asked what happened but nobody could explain why because they don't bother to explain us what happened and they obviously have no customer service! So, no air-conditioner for the night until next morning.

4. On our first day, I check the white bed sheet ( I always do that when stay in the hotel), I spotted stains on the bed sheet and a strand of hair. I have a feeling that they did not change the bed sheet since the previous guests stay there. The next two days, I still using the same bed sheet until I made complaint and asked them to change it!(yes you hear me right)

5. On the net they say that they accept payment using credit card but on that day the machine was not working and they ask for cash and I have no enough cash in hand. Instead of solving the credit card machine problem, they ask me to withdraw cash using my credit card which I don't want to (it was late evening and I'm checking out very early in the next morning, they were no ATM machine nearby). I tell you what, if you want to do this kind of business, don't put your credit card machine problem to your guests! It is not our problem at all. So, better have enough cash in hand. By the way, they charge extra 4% for the payment using credit card.

6. The bed-side table has a pillow on it. Yes, why on earth that a bed-side table has a pillow on it? Can somebody please take the pillow off of the bed-side table because not only it is 'weird' but the pillow itself dirty and has no purpose (please check photo appended).

7. Can somebody clean the toilet floor properly, thank you.

8. The hotel patio and terrace was dusty and was not tidy up for long. You can tell by checking the dust on the table, chair and outdoor sofa.

This riad is nice but looking at their professionalism level, I'm worried they will not be long in this business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple