“Amazing Riad”
Review of Zaouia 44

Zaouia 44
Ranked #222 of 1,172 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I so enjoyed my stay at the riad Zaouia 44. It made Marrakech my favorite home away from home in Morocco. The design is amazing [I am an interior designer] and it's peacefulness and beauty is so far unmatched in all of my stays here. The staff is so helpful for anything you need in Marrakech..I was solo for some of the stay so this was especially important. I , personally, enjoyed walking to the souks , museums, and square and did not really care to stay near the maddening pace of the square. I have to say in one word "perfect"!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful..I actually stayed in 2 different ones. It is quiet in all rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Bethdilint

Reviewed September 24, 2011

When we arrived after a looong day travelling my partner looked at me in shock when driving through the street toward the Riad. I had taken charge of all bookings for our trip and I think it was somewhat of a culture shock especially as the end of ramandan and beginning of Eid festival was the day of our arrival! It was so busy, 4 members of a family on one scooter, people everywhere. As soon as we stepped into the Riad it was calm and a million miles away.

We were greeted by Sophie and Mohammed. Mint tea of course and a unexpected but romantic 3 course meal in the courtyard.

Our room was stunning. Comfortable bed. Huge bathroom, great storage for clothes. It was a really luxury to have the garden patio leading out to our room.

Breakfast on the roof terrace was delicious. Fresh orange, pancakes, tea and coffee.

We lost our pre paid visa card which on our first day was stressful however Sophie advised we were in no rush to check out of our room and pointed us in the direction of the western union.

It is around a 20 min walk to the souks however I did not find this an issue. Taxis are cheap at around 40/50DHS if you are lost or tired. I liked the more authentic feel staying at the northern end of the medina. The mosque near by is quite noisy. I got the fright of my life on the first evening. By the middle of our stay in Marrakech I could sleep through the prayers!

I would highly recommend zaouia 44

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed April 18, 2011

A lovely quiet riad in the norther part of the medina. A bit difficult to find, but once you get there..... see for yourself!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I decided to spend my 50th in marrakesh having visited twice before. Its mad, different, fun and so varied there's something for everyone. That bit was easy, the most difficult was finding somewhere to stay that would suit well travelled friends and family- and I found it. From the moment we arrived and were welcomed by the wonderful Mohamed and Soumia, in the most beautiful Riad I knew we would have a great stay. On the first evening we also met the owner Frederique, a charming Frenchman, husband to Sophie the architect responsible for the simple yet stunning restoration of Riad Zaouia. I think what made the stay most special was Mohamed and Soumia who are totally wonderful. If there is one criticism, it is the location- a bit out of the main drag and impossible for taxi drivers to find. However, don't let that put you off..Mohamed and Soumia- we miss you already!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Just perfect.
Charming patio, very stylish rooms, excellent service.
A very good location, next to Ben Youssef Mosque.
2nd time here, just with my wife. We loved it, as we loved it a year ago with our 3 children.
And we enjoyed its hamman.

I recommand 100%.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2011

We stayed at the Riad over New Year’s and it was a huge mistake. We were told to be back at the riad at 11pm on New Year’s Eve because the staff were deserting the place and there would be no one to let us in. We had to spend New Year’s ontop the roof in what was effectively an abandoned building.

This was our first night and it set the tone for the rest of the stay. Every time we rang the Riad doorbell it would take 10 minutes for someone to bother to let us in. My partner and I continually felt like unwanted relatives coming to stay.

The location of the riad is miles away from the Souks. It takes a good 20 minutes or more of walking and weaving to get anywhere near the tourist attractions. This meant we had to stay out for most of the day and dread the trek back.

On a positive note, the Riad itself is lovely. Nice and clean and tranquil. But for first timers to Marrakesh, I would recommend something closer to the Medina.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traveller537
za44, Propriétaire at Zaouia 44, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2011

Zaouia44 is like an house.The New year dinner was served in the fireside lounge. Some people took advantage of this opportunity to share it with us, others, not wishing to celebrate the new year came out in the medina, or stay in their room.
Everyone is free to organize his stay as it sees fit, there is always someone at home to help you enjoy your stay.
Zaouia 44 has 2 entrances, a main entrance which is given keys to customers and a service entrance accessible by car. It must ring to enter by this door that is not generally used by customers but by staff

Reviewed January 11, 2011

We stayed here on our belated honeymoon (original was cancelled due to ash cloud in April!) and we had a great time. The staff here were great, Mohamed especially was incredibly helpful, helping us to arrange things to do and even taking us to meet a driver at 6 in the morning. The Riad itself is spacious and very clean and the rooms are large and airy. Breakfast was served every day on the roof terrace and evening meal (when we had them) were served downstairs in the cosy sitting room.
The only draw back to the place is that it is almost impossible to find! we booked a driver through the Riad to collect us from the airport as we were arriving late. The next day we went for a quick walk before breakfast and we managed to get lost within 2 minutes of the place. Although by the end of the week we'd pretty much worked out where we were going.
It is quite a distance from many of the main attractions (djemaa el fna) but the staff will arrange transport for you if you need it. We walked and it took about 30 minutes, which was fine as we visited in December but I imagine in the height of summer it would be a different story!
We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple