“Over-stated at 5* but a good base to mix exploring & relaxing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace

SENTIDO Kenzi Menara Palace
Ranked #97 of 504 Hotels in Marrakech
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Over-stated at 5* but a good base to mix exploring & relaxing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I think that most good reviews come when a hotel surpasses expectations, with this hotel promising 5 star all inclusive accomodation it would have to go some way to deserve a rave review. What it did well was the pool and land scaping, lovely gardens and a huge pool with plenty of comfy sunbeds. The rooms were fine too, nice big beds and lots of storage to spread out.
We booked based on the "all inclusive" name of the hotel, however, we were actually only B&B, luckily we discovered this before we got there so no nasty bills but a bit of a sneaky trick that seems to be by the hotel not expedia. The breakfast was fine, there was enough choice for the few days we stayed but it certianly wasn't five star food. We didn't eat in the hotel other than at breakfast. The concierge recommended a lovely Italian restaurant in the new town so I would say to listen to their suggestions for food. They also arranged a trip to the Atlas Mountains which was good but the advice that we would be taking a 20 minute walk and would be ok in flip flops was a little wide of the mark! Prepare to climb over rocks and also to pay a separate guide on top of your driver (we thought the initial price seemed a bit too good to be true.) Also prepare to barter in the women's co-op they take you to on the way up, we were well into bartering in the souks but were a bit too generous in their shop!
Overall this was a good location for a group of girls wanting to experience the buzz of Marrakech over a slightly longer period of time so as to fit in a bit of rest and sun bathing. As we wanted to eat out every day it was fine that we weren't all inclusive as we first thought, we just thought drinks round the pool may have been good but no one seemed to mind that we took our own.
One day I would love to go to a 5 star hotel that was 5 star in every way, this was not the place to deliver that.

1 Thank Cat242

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was spending a week climbing the Atlas mountains and had a couple of days at this hotel to relax in after. Bought through Groupon. Our deal included two Hamam passes.

The hotel itself was nice, also wouldn't call it 5*, but a nice hotel all the same.

On the day we used our Hamam pass a male cleaner saw my friend and I go into the Hamam steam room. Later a man came in in shorts (boxers I think) and flip flops and said he was there to give us a massage. I won't go into details but he was a cleaner posing as a Masseuse. He abused his position and totally pushed his luck.

I was helped by my friend and upon trying to explain what happened to the Spa manager, who clearly didn't believe me, we spotted the cleaner back in his cleaning uniform innocently mopping the floors around the pool. I explained this was the man I was talking about.

Concierge (very good english) talked me out of calling the police. The hotel Preseident talked me out of it too. I left there with a free meal and massage and manicure as compensation. Later after writing a letter to complain, I was offered two free nights for two, full board. But to be honest.... I don't want to go back. I just want to make sure that while they told me the cleaner would have been sacked, you can make your own mind up if you want to stay there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Fi_500
Gibraltar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

First of all, I would like to comment that the hotel is brilliant, staff very professional and helpful, the hotel is clean and modern. NOw this will scare you in the sense of hotel policies dealing with lost or robbed suitcases.

We arrived a group of six friends with 6suitcases, 3 big and 3 smaller ones, when we arrived. It was about 9am, the hotel staff came to the entrance and carried ALL our suitcases in the metal carrier, and the carrier was left opposite the reception area. After 3 hours the rooms were ready and we proceeded to the baggage area and we noticed that one of the cases was missing, it was highlighted to the hotel staff, and they tried to search for it, T he hotel staff said that it must have been left behind the taxi, we knew it was not true as 2 persons of the group had counted them on arrival to the hotel.

This happened on Friday13th, the conserve told us to leave the problem in his hands as he would go to the AIrport,and ask the taxi, we insisted that the baggage had ALL arrived at the hotel. But he insisted. I asked on the following day as the suitcase had not been found, for the hotel to give me a letter, for me to take to the insurance company back at home, he said that the hotel would not give me the letter, because lost baggage was not heard off in this hotel.

On S unsay I asked if he could. Take me to the police station , so as to report the loss of the suitcase, and if possible a registered letter stamped and official, for me to take to the insurance company, he said that his friend the commissar did not work on S un days and that the best bet is to try on Monday,

The following day Monday, we were taken to the police station and after a wait of 3hours, we were given the letter,, the inspector commented to me in broken English that this happened on Friday and I had come to the police station on the Monday?????..... Well it seems that the insurance company will not refund us on the loss! The suitcase contained. My laptop, mobile phone and charger and 2 pairs of shoes , and a jersey.

• 5 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank kenneth o
West Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is weird. How it ever got 5 stars is a mystery. The rooms are big, but very "tired" and the bathrooms are very dated and dark. We were told to find our own room in the dark last night. No-one available to show us where we were. Room was dark and dingy. Dirty bathroom and dirty sheets on the bed. They did immediately move us up to the top floor though, but said that this is more expensive. No idea if they are planning to charge us the extra or not. The breakfast was self-service and not good. Certainly not a match to other 5star hotels we have stayed in in Morocco. We took the half board on the recommendation of our travel agent, But the dinner is a self service buffet too. Not what we thought would be provided at the price we paid !

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the top floor
1 Thank local-luncher
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and had the worst experience checking in, the hotel management and reception are horrible. We were charged for an extra person even though the room we booked had two beds. Do not be fooled by the all-inclusive the only thing they offer is the room but still charge per person. This hotel is about 10-15 minutes from town and airport but be careful with the taxis, we were overcharged a few times. The food at the hotel is pretty bland, we tried the dinner buffet which is over priced and breakfast. We probably will not be returning to Marrakesh as there really isn't alot to do or see except the markets in the old city...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Dc_Jetsetter2015
isle of man
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Tricky one this.... The Hotel itself is lovely, the food is good and the rooms are spacious and clean. My poor rating for this hotel is pretty much down to one thing...their "marketing con". We booked this hotel through Expedia as Kenzi Menara Palace "All -Inclusive". Only when we got to the hotel we were told this was just the name of the hotel ( really!!) and that we had just booked bed and breakfast. This cost us an extra £500 for 6 days ...and since we were stuck we had no choice but to pay. This spoilt the holiday big time as we had no money to pay for excursions the staff assistance was nonchalant...and blamed it on Expedia. Have complained to them also.Some of the staff are friendly , but some just plain surly and unfriendly. Even when we paid all inclusive the look some of the staff gave you if you took more than one drink was priceless. As I say I cant fault the actual hotel ...its nice , so as long as you know what you are paying for... it will be fine . Just felt I was waiting to be ripped off at every turn and spoiled what could have been a very pleasant six day stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jamesscot63
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I recently had a 4 day mini holiday for my 1 year wedding anniversary in Marrakech. My husband was due to book the Sofitel Hotel which we later found out was much better than the Kenzi Palace. The only reason he booked this one was because it stated in the title, 'All Inclusive Preminum' we later found out that this is merely a way to attract customers as it is not infact an all inclusive deal you are getting. When we tried to explain this to the receiptionist - lady with glasses and fringe called Siloua who was very arrogant and rude and unwilling to help, infact looked like she couldnt care less, she had alot of attitude on her. My husband and i had just got there, and not even checked in and already i hated the holiday i had waited for 1 year for.
Next... we spoke to the manager who gave us a complimentry voucher for dinner for our first night for the inconveinice we had experience, the dinner was shocking and so dry.. we thought in the end it was a blessing in distgusie that we didnt get all inclusive, as the food was horrible. the entertainment was scary, a bunch of men banging their drums and shouting something while you are eating, you cant hear yourself think.

everyone is only interested in money here.. dont be fooled..
we asked for towels in our room, and got accused of stealing them as the cleaners claim they couldnt find them..

on my 1st day there when i finally checked into my room, there was a cockroach in the shower.. people can barely speak english so couldnt understand what i was saying.

2nd day another cockroach, so the holiday wasnt going great.. We eventually got upgraded to a suite, but not a pool view, even tho we asked for this.. it was our 1st anniversary, and i was having a horrile time.

the air conditioning in the hotel isnt great, we were there when it was 45 degrees and i couldnt even sit in the sun.. when we asked the staff to put the air con on, they made funny faces and reluctantly done it so low that you cant feel it.

some staff were nice, there was a lovely pretty lady behind the bar who gave me some special tea when i had an upset stomach, and sherrif at concierge was a nice guy, who spoke english too so really helpful.

be prepared to be lumbered with a tax bill at the end of your stay aswell, which they do not warn you about when you check in..

I deinfaltely would never stay here again.. the hotel made my stay the worse ever.. and i had a horrible anniversary when my husband went to so much effort for it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple