Riad La Porte Rouge
Hotels.com
$398
$386
  • Pool
Riad Vendome & Spa Marrakech(Marrakech)(Great Value!)
$55
$242
$456
$439
Cancelon
All reviewshot tubthe main squareroof terraceresident cathouse catprune taginebreakfast was deliciouson arrivalfresh orange juicebusy roadminute walkmoroccan pastriestop floorstaff was very friendly and helpfultucked awaymoroccan experiencean oasis
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is without doubt one of the best places I have stayed in while on holiday!

The personal touch really makes this place stand out- I used my stay here to propose and from start to finish Karen and all of the other staff at the Riad were fantastic in helping me plan a day trip to the mountains, decorate our room with flowers, chocolate and champagne on our return and make evening dinner reservations. Mustafa, Saed and the two French ladies really made you feel welcome and I got the impression that no task or request was too much for them, at whatever time of the day!

Taxi pickup from the airport is free and arranged by Karen the owner before arrival. On arrival at the Riad, there is free mint tea and Moroccan pastries as well as a map and a guide of the city including directions to the main square (20 min walk) and attractions.

Breakfast was different every day and included various Moroccan pastries, cakes, breads, fruits and yogurts. We had so much each day that we didn't have lunch the entire week we were there. Eating up on the roof terrace as the sun was coming out really was a great start to the day.

The roof terrace is small but not limited and we enjoyed 2 afternoons relaxing on the sun loungers. Mustafa or Saed would happily continue to top up our cold drinks (beer and cocktails available) and provide us with some free nuts. The rooftop Jacuzzi was a great way to chill out after a few hours sunbathing and we even took our bottle of champers up here to enjoy!

Our stay in Marrakech was definitely enhanced through staying in this Riad. In a city where it can becoming tiring being hassled after a day in the square, this was the perfect retreat for a few hours of relaxation, where the magnificent staff catered for your every need, always with a smile!

Room Tip: We had Hiba room which was on the ground floor and although it can be nosier, we had absolutely no problems at all.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had a lovely stay in this quiet Riad in August. A driver came and picked us up at the airport around 2am and brought us directly to the Riad and we were able to check in seemlessly, despite our late arrival. The room was gorgeous, nicely decorated and with an amazing bathroom and it was peacefully quiet. We had a lovely breakfast with fresh orange juice and some rolls and jam. It was a convenient 15-20 minute walk from the Riad to the heart of the Central square which we were able to navigate pretty easily (using the map). The guys were very helpful with helping us arrange our itinerary, even booking us an afternoon cooking class and taking me to the local hamam for an authentic bathing experience (keep your underwear on, it was clean and quite adventure!!). We also had dinner on the roof top terrace one night and the beef with prunes and apricots was absolutely superb! My friend's chicken filo pie was also good. I think this would be a great spot for a couple, though it worked for friends as well. My only complaint is that the pool is really small and there is no space for sun lounging, so you should not plan a pool-side holiday here. The pool is only really for giving the courtyard another lovely addition.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Comfortably placed on the edge of busy Medina making it equally comfortable for getting to Jemaa-el-Fnaa or souks as well as catching taxi to drive to Menara, Gueliz or Hivernage. Staff was great. They kept trying to match our expectations by these little things that make your stay really nice. In response to our inquiries they offered freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast or open bar with snacks in the evening. Good occasion to try home-like Morrocan cuisine to be served on a very nice roof terrace or guest room. Design of this riad is really great - a trully traditional Morrocan home experience packed with handmade Morrocan furniture and decors. Even though I stayed in much more posh places like Four Seasons before this was one of the best hotel experiences ever. Recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PTourer
laporterouge, Propriétaire at Riad La Porte Rouge, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you very much for for your review.

We are very pleased that our Riad leave you a good memory.

Our only goal is the customer leaves happy.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We had a two-week package on the Moroccan coast of Agadir but wanted to explore Marrakech alone & booked a two-night stay in this beautiful Riad some months before our departure.

Communications before our stay were answered extremely prompted & efficiently leaving us with complete confidence that we would be in safe hands during our stay. We were not disappointed.

Upon our arrival we were taken into a air conditioned sitting area where we were given a large map of the city & the places of interest were pointed out (perfect if you hadn't done any research or were coming here last minute). Whilst our room was being prepared we were given biscuits/cakes & mint tea.

The riad is a twenty minute walk away from the main square of Jemma el Fna & we were shown the best way of going to & from here.

Breakfast was filling, varied & can be eaten wherever you chose. Despite it being further out than we thought (hoped), it made an excellent base & a relaxing place to kick back after long days out in the heat of the Red City.

If we were returned to Marrakech again, we wouldn't look at staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JasonandLynz
laporterouge, Propriétaire at Riad La Porte Rouge, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

thank you for your comment, it's been fun to see that you enjoyed your stay.

Looking forward seening you a next time soon ...

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Booked in here on the 13th August, and stayed for 3 nights. I was in the Salwa room, which was really nice. I was by myself, but I would recommend this room for couples.

I booked very last minute (on the morning before arriving), and I went with La Porte Rouge because the speed of their response and the information in their e-mail was both helpful and personal. Adil, who works in the office, was a superstar in this respect.

My flight arrived an hour late, but the airport transfer was smooth and the guy who picked me up was in great spirits despite hanging around. I'd recommend this option as it's only 10euros, and you'll get ripped off by the airport taxis paying more.

I arrived, was greeted with some orange juice and given an orientation of the city - very helpful.

So, plus points:
- great food (better value that a lot of places in town), good alcohol selection, great caretakers (Mustafa and Said will ensure you're not lost for anything), nice plunge pool, great jacuzzi, and excellent management. Karen, the owner, was extremely helpful in arranging another location for me to stay due to the Riad being fully booked when I wanted to extend a night.

Any negative points?
- maybe the rooftop terrace could be larger, but this wasn't at all a limiting factor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Thank you very much !

It was a pleasure for us to make your stay a nice souvenir