“Hideaway Bliss”

Ranked #5 of 501 Hotels in Marrakech
Los Angeles, California
“Hideaway Bliss”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

It's taken me so long to write this review I feel ashamed. Let's start with the owners, Grant and Michele are amazing, they went so far above and beyond for us giving us maps and vendors to visit that would take care of us. I really do hope to run into them again in the future.

The Riad itself is completely remodeled from the ground up thanks to Grant and Michelle and they really spared no expense. Marrakech can be pretty intense but when you walk through the doors you've entered your own haven where everything is clean and wonderful. The food is great and an afternoon beer was exactly what I needed......everyday. The rooms are immaculate, well designed, and the location is great. Again, it's easy to get lost in Marrakech so it helps to stay somewhere you can easily navigate. I would love to come and visit again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights and it was absolutely wonderful. Grant and Michele along with the rest of the staff and of course, Zac (the resident cat and sultan of the Riad) were incredibly helpful and some of the nicest people you could hope to meet in your travels. Michele's advice is invaluable ensuring your meals are top notch and making sure you aren't overpaying for things in the souks and even taxi fares.

The Riad itself is gorgeously decorated and a true oasis to escape the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. The location is perfect and everything is easy to walk to from there. It is also easy to find, which becomes very important as Marrakech is a bit lacking in (legitimate) street signs and can be a bit of a maze to find your way around. As first-time visitors to Marrakech we felt quite comfortable here and never had a hard time getting back home after running around the Souks for a few hours.

Thanks to everyone at Riad Assakina for making our trip to Marrakech such an amazing experience.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Had a lovely relaxing break in Marrakech all thanks to Michele and her staff at Riad Assakina- from the moment we arrived our every need was met- Michele was on hand to help plan dinners, meals and trips to a hamman- the riad itself was beautiful, the evening meal we had there was the best of our trip and the breakfast was delicious with good choices. I travelled here while pregnant and was a little nervous about eating out in marrakech but Michele's help in eating in reliable spots put my mind at ease.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is my second visit back to Riad Assakina in four months, last time was in January for my 50th birthday and my surprise engagement. This time was for my fiance 55th birthday and to pick up my wedding dress.

This is an oasis in the middle of the Medina of Marrakech, a retreat to catch your breath from everyday life. Wether it is sitting on the sun terrace reading, too walking out to the souks and sitting having a cold drink and watching the world go by, fine dining, some of the best food i have eaten anywhere. I can see this fast becoming my favourite place for a short break away.

Michele who is one of the owners of the Riad also has an amazing little shop in the Riad, that has beautiful little things inside, amongst which are some stunning clothing, with hand embroidery on them. I asked if possible if I could have a dress and coat made for my wedding day, which Michele help me with every step of the way to sourcing fabrics/design and finishing touches. My dress is stunning and I promise to post pictures after my wedding day.

Thanks again for an amazing break again Michele and Grant and all your staff who are so lovely/friendly and accommodating. You and your team are fabublous, it just makes the holiday experience that little bit extra special.

Room Tip: There are 5 different rooms, all stunning, all diferent, all beautiful decorated. I have stayed in t...
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stop now--end your hotel search here. You will be glad you did.

The Riad Assakina is truly something special. It's the combination of a beautifully decorated riad and the graciousness of the owners, Grant and Michele, and their staff, which will transform your visit to Marrakech into a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

My wife, daughter and I had two suites at the Riad Assakina, the Kaid and Merenid suites, in mid April 2014. In all our travels it's rare to say that a hotel truly makes your experience special--however the Assakina does. It is an oasis of peace, calm and beauty in what can be an a noisy, hectic and chaotic city. We loved Marrakech---meeting the people, bargaining at the souks and enjoying the food. Coming back to the riad to relax, eat, take a dip in the pool, talk to the staff and share experiences with Grant and Michele makes your Marrakech experience even more enjoyable.

As beautiful as the riad is--Michele is a truly talented interior designer with exquisite taste, it's Grant, Michele and their staff that elevates this hotel above all others. Staying with Grant and Michele is like staying with your favorite old friends. They are perfect hosts--- warm, funny, engaging, smart, well travelled and very helpful. They arranged all our travels-- pick up and drop off at the airport, a tour of the medina, and day trips outside of Marrakech to Ait Ben Haddou and Essaouira.Their restaurant recommendations and advice on where to purchase items were spot on as they would say. From the lovely breakfast, to the cake and Moroccan tea in the afternoon, to a late night snack or drink all combined with enagaing conversation it was always a pleasure to spend time in the riad. The staff all share Grant and Michele's qualities---they are gracious friendly and fluent in numerous languages.

The Riad Assakina is the perfect counterbalance to Marrakech. It's that balance that elevates your trip and has you wishing that you could stay just a little bit longer.

David K.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Marrakech, Morocco
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Michele and Grant have created an oasis of calm in the heart of Marrakech. It is the perfect introduction to the city and the help and advice from them and their wonderful staff made our stay perfect. The breakfasts are amazing too!

Room Tip: All rooms fabulous.
Bristol
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My wife and I recently spent 3 nights at the Riad Assakina with my sister and her husband. The Riad itself has been beautifully restored and exquisitely decorated in traditional Moroccan style but encompassing all the modern conveniences you would expect in a boutique hotel. On arrival Grant and Michele the owners of the Riad greeted us, and introduced us to the staff. As we arrived later in the evening we had ordered Tapas which were served in the courtyard, they were delicious. Our rooms were beautiful and very comfortable. We were on the ground floor so our rooms opened out onto the inner courtyard. This meant they were very cool and quiet (for Marrakesh). The rooms have shower and air conditioning as well as a television and free Wifi. On the second floor there are a further 4 suites which are all beautiful and worth the extra money if you want to treat yourself.

Our taxi transfer was arranged by Michele & Grant, this took all the stress away. If you prefer, there are plenty of taxis at the Airport but ensure you negotiate a price first.
On arrival at Marrakesh airport I would advise you change some money into the local currency. We changed some at Bristol Airport before we left and were offered a rate 25% less than you get locally. It is a flat rate across all of Marrakesh so you do not need to shop around.

The Riad Assakina is situated in the Jewish quarter, it is very convenient for exploring the Medina, and only a ten-minute walk to the main square and the Souks. You also have the Badi and Bahia palaces within a few mins walk.

Michelle’s local knowledge is invaluable, and her advice on restaurant’s places to visit and local customs ensured we had a memorable visit.
All the staff at the Assakina were wonderful and we would like to thank Hitchim, Hakim,Mereim, Naoual, Ibissam and Majouba personally, not forgetting Grant & Michelle. Look forward to visiting you all again.