“Amazing in every way!”
Review of Riad Assakina

Riad Assakina
Ranked #4 of 499 Hotels in Marrakech
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This would have to have been one of the friendliest and most enjoyable stays I have experienced in any of my travels. Right from the emails I exchanged with Grant in the booking process, I knew that this was going to be great, but I was still suprised by the incredible welcome I received from Michele and Grant, and the service I received from Hicham and all the team during my stay. The room they gave me was incredible - the comfort and attention to detail (and thanks for the upgrade!!) exceeded expectations - the food was amazing, and the help and advice they gave me on everything from tours, restaurants and shopping in the souks really made my holiday! (I would encourage anyone staying here to take Michele's advice on a nearby hammam, it was fantastic, and a not-to-be missed Marrakesh experience.)

On my arrival, Michele gave me a tour of the riad and gave me a quick tour of the surrounds - a huge confidence boost in the crazy streets of Marrakech, and Hicham not only walked me to a nearby restaurant for dinner one night so I wouldn't get lost, but also secured me one of the best tables in the house! Its a level of service, offered so willingly, that you don't see anywhere.

The location is perfect - an easy, and interesting, walk to the main square and into the souks, as well as palaces and many other unmissable sights.

Thank you Michele, Grant, Hicham and all the team for an unforgettable stay. I can only hope I get a chance to come back again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank sjbarry

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I had a lovely and relaxing time in Ryad Assakina. We did not get the chance to meet the owners, Michele and Grant, as they were supervising the building works of their house in Wales, but we were looked after by their efficient staff, in particular Hicham in the afternoons, and Naoual during the day. We spent three nights there, entirely stress free. Hicham welcomed us on arrival, and straight away led us to the lounge for a cup of tea and some Morrocan parties. He chatted with us in English and, on our request, in French too. We had lovely exchanges about the culture, the people and the languages of Morocco, and we felt settled straight away!
The room was lovely and spacious. We occupied the Almohad suite; in fairness, it was not a suite but a large bedroom with a bed and a sofa, all the same it was very comfortable. The only drawback was the bathroom: no bath, just a down shower, and a tiny immersion tank. Not quite enough to warm us up after night fall at this season, plus there was no shower cap available. Not ideal for my long hair! The taps and drains were a bit capricious and would have benefited from some TLC. Also, there were neither any cotton buds nor body lotion available. Do pack your own if, like me, you are better with than without. Despite these details, we had a wonderful wonderful time, and truly felt at home.
Every day, it was clear that Hicham and Naoual communicated together, as we never had to repeat any request nor information from one to the other. Also, neither of them hesitated in walking us in the streets to point us in the right direction, which meant that we never got lost nor even concerned about being so! They welcomed us back each afternoon with a refreshing tea and sweet. Also, they were interested to hear about our visits of the day and in particular, were keen to collect any good or bad feedback from the restaurants we visited. The ryad itself is decorated with confident taste, and is a pleasure to stay in. As we stayed during the cold season however, we could not enjoy the lovely terrasses and even less the pool. I hope that we will have the chance to visit again!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sylvie f
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was one of the best hotel I experienced so far.. great service, very good location and very good care for details! you can tell the owner loves her job and her place..

We also had some personal issues as me and my girlfriend fell sick on the way there.. they took care of us as if we were home! We recovered and then were able to enjoy the rest of our trip.. my girlfriend loved it so much that she would like to go back to Marrakech only to go back there!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rampa80
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

We entirely concur with all previous 'Excellent' ratings and reviews. Therefore, we do not have much to add.

We would like to thank Michelle and Grant (the hosts) for their exquisite service. Special thanks also to Hisham and Noelle (staff). Particularly Hisham proved to be an excellent host; humble, hardworking and symphatic.

We'll remender passing trough the rather dark alley of the Jewish quarter of Marrakech, and entering into an oasis of calmness, kindness and beauty.

We had the privilege of enjoying two of the Ryad's suites, which were equally marvelous.

2  Thank Driems
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our family of five, including three teenagers, were so warmly welcomed and looked after by Michelle and her incredible team. The riad is charming, relaxing, calm and utterly beautifully decorated. Our breakfasts were delicious...the cinnamon french toast being a particular favourite.
We had one meal in which included our favourite tagine of our trip. We had lots of help with arranging restaurant bookings and a trip to Les Bains de Marrakech. Michelle was even kind enough to walk us to Kozy Bar a few minutes away on our first day.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank doragirl
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I travel quite a bit. He really loves hotels, so we've stayed at some very lovely ones. We wish Riad Assakina was in every city we will ever visit! In our initial planning of our visit to Marrakech, we intended to stay at La Mamounia Hotel, which is very famously fabulous and lush and expensive. I am so very glad that our party of five elected instead to try a riad, and that that riad was Assakina! The best accommodations we've ever experienced. Not only is the riad physically gorgeous and oh-so-tastefully appointed, but it is an oasis of peace and calm. The staff is always available for any need and will do anything to make your stay perfect. The always smiling and tranquil overnight Guardian, Hicham (sp?) makes the best mint tea and gin/tonic ever at the end of your day. Then there's The Most Excellent Michele. I can't imagine how a person can be such a fabulous host. Our first day, she gave a private orientation which must have taken at least an hour to our soon-to-be friends from Australia (see their review below), then brought the five of our party in for ours - which turned out to be an hour and a half! Every question answered. Guidance on culture, shopping, interesting places, maps, etc., etc., etc. She also recommended and arranged restaurants, a visit to a hammam (you MUST go!!), and accompanied one of our party to the metal souk where she was of critical help in choosing and buying a very large light fixture. How did she find the time? Very impressive. Thank you, Michele. And thank you for your efforts to ease the suffering of animals in Marrakech. Sorry we didn’t get to meet Grant. Next time. All in all - rooms, staff, food, general ju-ju - the Riad Assakina is just marvelous.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Roxy-Stays-Home
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights at the end of November. It was a fantastic stay as this Riad is a combination of luxury, elegance, taste, tranquility and kindness (Assakina means "inner peace"). It is the perfect place to stay in Marrakech as you will have the authenticity to be in the Medina and in a typical Moroccan house with all the comfort and service of a 5 star hotel.
We really have been amazed with the work done by the owners, Michele and Grant, who decorated the place with the best crafts and the most exquisite detail.
Above all, we want to say thank you to Michele, Grant and the staff, especially Noelle and Ischam who welcomed us with so much kindness. We had many discussions with them and we really loved the friendly atmosphere they created in this Riad. We really felt at home.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple