New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Riad Douceur Mandarine

Riad Douceur Mandarine
Ranked #357 of 1,177 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London
“Oasis of calm in the Medina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Very good location,tasteful design, glorious rooftop and very quiet despite being in the heart of the busy Medina (old town) with the main square just 10 mins walk away. The owners, Stephane & Sylvie, were fantastic hosts, giving a very inclusive and welcoming feeling, as well as being available every morning over a generous breakfast for local tips and helpful advice. Would highly recommend this hotel to other couples travelling to Marrakech and won't hesitate to return on our next visit .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Reading previous views decided to cancel reservations elsewhere and purchase a Groupon offer to stay at Riad Douceur Mandarine for six days. Both myself and my friend were not to be disappointed.

Riad Douceur Mandarine personifies an air of tranquility and calm in decor, and style from the moment you step in. Either one of the proprietors Stephane or Sylvie were available each morning to advise, and assist to plan your day or to arrange tours.

This was my friends first visit to Marrakech, who welcomed the location, which was very close to the medina, Jemaa el Fna and souks. If you like walking you can easily get to some local tourist attractions and the New City on foot. Of course this may be dependent on how hot the day is!! When not out and about it felt good to relax in the terrace read a book.

Our stay in Riad Douceur Mandarine was an asset which helped to ensure our stay was perfect from pick-up to drop-off. We both really appreciate Stephane and Sylvie for the hospitality as well as the members of staff who were also on hand during the day to assist. Thanks also for making arranging our trip to the Atlas mountains valleys, visit to a Berber family, the new market and aromatherapy centre. with Aziz. Well worth a trip and had a great day. Note the price did not really vary from booking online which again was another bonus.

Will definitely recommend Riad Douceur Mandarine to family and friends. Once again thanks.

Room Tip: Recommend if possible a room on the first level as opposed to the ground floor so as not too be dist...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank ZZZ2000
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We had a fantastic stay in this riad. Stephane and his wife are two lovely people and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and relaxed - something you will need in a city which can be so overwhelming. The place itself is immaculate and has very comfortable rooms with great bathroom facilities. If I was to return to Marrakech I would stay here with no hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
france
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

First trip to Marrakech and first time in a riad. Douce Mandarine does what it says on the box. It is peaceful and hidden away from the main bustle but is quite handy for Bahia Palace and the Jemma al Fnaa is only 10 mins on foot. Saw Stephane only at breakfast and he was charming and informative. The rest of the staff are very capable and friendly. We arrived early evening and were glad of the pre-arranged taxi and driver to take us in as it would be nigh-on impossible to find by yourself the first time. We had ordered an evening meal which was home cooked and delicious and every day the breakfasts were lovely with fresh juices, yogurt, or fruit salad and little pancakes, toast, moroccan bread small pastries and a selection of jams, not to mention eggs any which way!.

If I have to make any comment regarding improvement I'd request a shower screen and perhaps access to a fridge. Bed was extremely comfortable with lovely linen. I don't know how much English the other staff speak by the way, but Stephane is fluent. I would recommend this riad.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are more private than ground floor but beware the sweeping and furniture moving on th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed in this riad in July and had a very relaxed stay. Although the owners were not there, obviously they have chosen reliable and very friendly staff. I dealt with Mounir most of the time and though my French is horrible (yes, yes, had it all the time through my high school/secondary school but is is absolutely my worst foreign language!) he managed to communicate with me. Traveling alone it was nice to have a friendly person to talk to.
This was my third time in Marrakech, but what a lovely riad.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed with my daughter (11 yrs) in this riad for two nights in May 2013, on our first trip to Marrakech. I always try to avoid hotels, wherever possible, and to look for B&B, maisons d’hotes , riad etc , looking for that extra personal touch. Riad Doucer Mandarine fully satisfied this need. Stephan, the owner, took the time on a Sunday morning to give us lengthy advice for our 3-day trip in the desert (btw, wonderful experience, especially for kids and young people, or people young inside…at least). Having someone that serves you a delicious, home-cooked breakfast at 5:00 in the morning (and smiling!) is something we have also truly appreciated and makes you feel valued as a guest.
The room, at ground floor, would not have been my choice as I love bright and noiseless rooms, but it was the only available at the time. Yet, we found the bed really comfortable, enjoyed the big bathroom with wet floor shower (the kind of detail I love because I associate it more to holidays than to business trips), and loved the mix of modern and (not overly) ethnic style, which encounters my taste. A spotlessly clean room, which is something that should not be taken for granted, as we learned later on while staying at other places within the same price range. As a woman with a young girl I had some concerns about walking at night through the medina alleys, but I saw security cameras installed here and there and felt somewhat safer. We enjoyed walking back and forth to the square (at midnight the alleys were still full of people) and became quick to get off the motorbikes way.
The extra personal touch of our experience with this riad struck us once already back in Europe, when I realized we had forgotten our jackets. Stephan found them and kindly went out of his way to return them to us by post. This is the kind of care for the guests that people dream to find when they travel but that unfortunately is becoming rare nowadays… so we were twice as lucky!!
We thank you again Stephan for his kindness and thoughtfulness and if we’ll ever go back to Marrakech we will definitely choose his charming riad, but won’t leave anything behind, ça va sans dire.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms, for less noise and more brightness
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay, excellent value for money and staff are friendly.

Really nice roof terrace.

Would recommend arranging a taxi transfer with the Riad as it would be difficult to find when first arriving.

Regret leaving to go to Agadir.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
stephaneMarrakech, Propriétaire at Riad Douceur Mandarine, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Many thanks to you for your very nice review. Stéphane