Riad Kasbah
$152
$147
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop terracewhole weekevery morningshort walkgave us a mapexcellent stayfreshly squeezed orange juicemoroccan teasmall poolmoroccan styleother guestsvisiting marrakechtucked awaykasbahfrenchtaxisquare
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed at the Raid Kasbah with the previous reviewer. I was not sure about a weekend away with 11 women. But we had the best time! The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful there was nothing they would not do, including joining in with the dancing! We had booked the banquet for the first night and this comes highly recommended food good, beautiful belly dancer and just a lovely relaxed start to our break. Abdul was able book anything we requested ( 3 of us did camel riding) a must! He also booked a spa which is a short walk away and my god worth every penny!

Marrakech is a lovely place to visit it has something for everyone. I highly recommend a tour on a horse and cart as we did this the first day and then booked them to take us all to the main places the next day. The restaurants we ate at we're mostly fantastic esp Pepe Nero service and food Devine. Al fassia was the only negative of the holiday as service was slack and food forgettable.

I had read the previous reviews with interest as some people really felt that they had had a terrible time but I cannot praise the Riad enough I have stayed in many 4-5* hotels and this experience was as good.

If you are thinking of visiting and have any concerns contact Hicham as his English is excellent and will answer any questions. He also covers Fez so hopefully my 'gals' and I are off to Fez and a 2 night stay in the desert next year!!

Room Tip: All rooms lovely but roof terrace nice with table and chairs outside for the sunrise
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank jenks27
Reviewed October 11, 2012

5-8 October 2012. I have never written a review before but feel compelled to share our experience at Riad Kasbah.
There was a total of 11 in our all female group (as you might imagine, some more easy to please than others and all quite fussy!) We were away on a 'girlie' weekend and celebrating
two birthdays. All 11 of us had an amazing time and were extremely impressed with Riad Kasbah, offering a fantastic level of service at all times - we arrived around 10 am ish, having been met and transferred from the airport by the very friendly staff - guided on foot, dodging the mopeds, donkeys and carts along the tiny cobbled lane to the Riad (quite dark and stinky but just adds to the quirky charm). On arrival we were offered breakfast, free of charge. We had arranged for a 'banquet dinner with belly dancing' on the Friday evening and this included a birthday cake - EXCELLENT value with a good variety of starters, breads, lamb tagine and orange mouse followed by the cake. Highly recommended and a great start to our weekend.
During our visit we also dined at:
'Terrasse des Epices' for lunch on two occasions (it was that good!) Really, really lovely.
'Al Fassia' for dinner Saturday evening which was truly awful - over priced, terrible service and very, very disappointing and such a shame as this was the only bad experience we had!
'Pepe Nero" on Sunday night. Superb ambience, excellent service and delicious food - €40 ea which included good wines and an amazing light chocolate layered mousse cake with candles!
I wish we had asked Hicham beforehand about his recommendations as he has excellent English and is exceptionally knowledgeable - next time.
Needless to say, we all plan to return.

Room Tip: All the rooms/suites are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trudilynwood
Reviewed May 17, 2012

This Riad experience was a really bad one. When my partner and I arrived, we were first given a room, that was way smaller than the one we booked. It took us annoying discussions in order to get the room we originally booked. Apart from this the manager wanted to force me the last evening to pay the outstanding balance in Cash. When he told me this, it was already 8 p.m. and the next ATM is a 20 minutes walk from the Riad. I offered to pay via credit card, but this was refused. Finally, I ended up paying the next morning prior to check-out.
The next time I would go again to a Riad that is worth the money and offers relaxation in a calm and agreable atmosphere. In the past, I liked a lot 'la villa Nomade' (http://www.lavillanomade.com/) and 'Riad Clementine' (http://www.riad-clementine.com/). But please don't go to Riad Kasbah - even if the price should sound reasonable at first. You might regret it as well.

Room Tip: Try to get the chocolate room, but please don't wonder if they don't give it to you;-)
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Sebastian K
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We are a couple in our mid-20s who stayed here for 5nights. Hisham, the manager who speaks great English, greeted us very warmly and chatted with us over mint tea. We had arranged for a private taxi pick-up from the train station and the driver was waiting with a sign of our names as promised. (we arrived from Fes on a 7hr train and opted for a private car as we knew we'd be tired. In all honesty, it is not all that necessary as the taxis are plentiful right outside the station)

The riad itself is quite lovely- nice pool, great solarium to tan on the terrace or by the pool if you wish, great location (5-10min walk to Djemma El Fna and the souks). Majorelle Gardens are also quite nice with fantastic colors and you can walk there in 25-30min? but if it's a very hot day like we had definitely take a cab which is a 10-15min drive.

We were upgraded as some suites were open for our first 3nights and then switched for the remaining 2nights since the riad was full. The switch was quite easy, especially since the 2 rooms were just across the pool from one another on the ground floor. I personally enjoyed being on the ground floor since it was next to the pool and the tables, and I could be in and out of the room if I wanted. Others may opt for an upper floor as it can get a bit loud if other guests have breakfast and speak loudly before you awake or after you go to sleep. We can sleep through anything though :)

The breakfast was pretty good and we loved how the ladies always set it up at the nearest table to our room for us before we even awoke (we are late sleepers)- the hot breads and tea+coffee were brought out after we would sit down. Complimentary tea/coffee was offered anytime throughout our stay- several evenings we bought great pastries nearby and had them with mint tea by the pool.

It was my husband's 27th birthday our first night (Sat) and Hisham recommended Jad Mahal for dancing. We had a great time. I read mixed reviews about the dinner there, but we liked their downstairs area for the club atmosphere. We took a taxi there and back (it's in the new city). One concern we had since this is a riad was coming home very late because someone would have to open the front door- we didn't want to be a bother nor to be standing stranded, waiting in a dark alley.  We were glad that this was not an issue at all and it seemed Abdul (I believe that is the young man's name) was waiting up for us when we knocked once or twice at 5am! (he opened the door before we could even ring the bell) We appreciated this very much as safety is always a concern. Also, on our last day they held our bags as we explored the city before our 5pm train to Casablanca.

Overall- entire staff were very nice and accommodating (although most only speak French) and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We definitely recommend this riad.

Tip: as you will read in many guidebooks and online, bargaining is a must. I am not claiming these are the best prices, but I don't think we did too bad. Just to give some helpful figures: our taxi to Majorelle Gardens was 20dirham (wanted 50), to the train station 25dirham (wanted 50), to Jad Mahal 40dirham (wanted 60). All depends how long you are willing to bargain. Prices at night always seemed to be a bit higher.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annas_Travels_13
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We chose this riad after having read the excellent reviews on this site.
I spoke to the manager Hicham before booking the accommodation who was very helpful and answered all my questions and put my mind at rest regarding any concerns I had.
When we arrived at Marrakech airport, Hicham was there alongside his driver to greet us (as promised). We instantly knew that we were on to a winner. He phoned ahead to the riad to have breakfast prepared for us on arrival.
The transport was perfect for our family of six and the driver spoke English which enabled us to communicate with little effort, as we spoke very little french and no arabic.
The rooms at the riad are functional and very clean. Please do not expect any extras like a tv in the room or a facilities for hot drinks.
The staff are extremely helpful and hospitable with nothing being too much trouble especially the head housekeeper Zara. They accommodated our every need.
Hicham also arranged daily excursions for us, including a trip to the atlas mountains, stopping briefly at a berber village. A must see for all. It certainly gave my children insight into how the less privileged live).
A trip to the hamman is also highly recommended.
If we were to return to Marrakech in the future, we'd book the Kasbah for sure.

Room Tip: If you like your 'tea' please take tea bags with you as we sorely missed our cup of PG tips in the mornings. They do however provide plenty of mint tea. If you have small children i would also advise you to take their favorite cereals. Avoid the ivory room as it's next door to the kitchen and it can get noisy in the mornings.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family